300 DL "custom spinning reel"?

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
Simone Baschirotto

300 DL "custom spinning reel"?

Post by Simone Baschirotto »

I've seen some of these boxes on the web, strangely the ones I've seen are perfect.
What can you tell me?
Are they original boxes?
Attachments
IMG_20210903_224113.jpg
IMG_20210903_224113.jpg (122.97 KiB) Viewed 11670 times
IMG_20210903_224142.jpg
IMG_20210903_224142.jpg (79.01 KiB) Viewed 11670 times

Ted Lanham

Re: 300 DL "custom spinning reel"?

Post by Ted Lanham »

Simone,
There was a guy from Canada, if recall correctly, that sold a bunch of 300DL copies. Not original. I've seen them go for close to $200 US. My opinion is that sometimes you can tell that corrugated cardboard was used to make some of these replica boxes and that I don't believe that was used on originals. There are other details on the printing on those boxes that are clues to them being fakes, but I can't tell you what they are. Just my humble opinion. :)

Regards,
Ted Lanham

Simone Baschirotto

Thank you very much Ted, I remember reading something in the past but I still don't understand.
Hope others help with this.
I do not have these boxes to examine them thoroughly but I am sure accurate information will soon arrive on these boxes.
Buona serata,
Simone

Bonanza

Post by Bonanza »

Simone, I personally thought that the DL box looks to good to be original, my bet as Ted had alluded to that the guy in Canada made these. This info have not unpacked yet but I bet if you contact Mike DiMattio he could confirm. I really did like the reel though 👍

cshannon772

Post by cshannon772 »

Hello Simone,
Ted and Scott are exactly correct. These counterfeit boxes do make an appearance on the big auction site occasionally from a seller out of Canada.
Below are examples of the counterfeit 300DL outer box on the left and the real, original 300DL outer box on the right. The left box I purchased with a Mint 1961 Garcia Mitchell 300DL knowing the outer box was counterfeit but I got a good price. The right box I purchased with a NIB 1961 European distro Mitchell 300 DL and the outer box and reel are serial #s matching. On the counterfeit box note the size and orientation of the "Garcia" emblem. Also note that the "Custom Spinning Reel" is in white text. The text size and spacing is also different on the counterfeit box.
DL Boxes.jpg
DL Boxes.jpg (148.01 KiB) Viewed 11614 times
The orientation of the label is also different on the counterfeit box. It's on the short side vice the long side of the box.
DL Boxes1.jpg
DL Boxes1.jpg (153.4 KiB) Viewed 11614 times
The original boxes were all one piece boxes vice the two piece and the originals were all black vice a black top and red bottom.
DL Boxes2.jpg
DL Boxes2.jpg (124.72 KiB) Viewed 11614 times
All of the original outer boxes will have the serial number sticker of the reel on the bottom of the box unless removed or it falls off.
DL Boxes3.jpg
DL Boxes3.jpg (143.34 KiB) Viewed 11614 times
The original Mitchell 300DL box on the right is the only 300DL outer box that Mike DiMattio has documented in his book "Mitchell 300 Boxes".
I hope this clears up any confusion about these boxes and deters anyone from buying the counterfeit box thinking it was original......We also need to put the counterfeit seller out of business :twisted: .

Kind Regards,
Chris

Simone Baschirotto

An excellent answer, Thanks Chris I believe this is useful not only to me but to many other collectors.
Congratulations on your 300 DL external boxes, I always believe that the best way to describe something is to have it under your eyes.
A flawless description in your style.

Cordiali Saluti,
Simone

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Chris,
Another stellar post which is of a great service to the collecting community. The combination of great photos (as usual) and insightful text (as always) create a post worthy of a special place at the MRM.
Thanks Again. :text-coolphotos: :text-bravo: :text-goodpost: :text-thankyouyellow: :banana-dance:
Kind Regards,
Bill

Ted Lanham

Post by Ted Lanham »

Chris,
Great job. I knew, from previous MRM post that there were several differences, but I completely either forgot, or didn't recall about the original being a one piece box. That's is a real give away.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

Bonanza

Post by Bonanza »

Ted, Chris, Bull and Simone,

Great discussion and thanks Chris for showing the difference between real and fake 👍 thanks for a great discussion

cshannon772

Post by cshannon772 »

Hello Mates,
Simone, Bill, Ted and Scott, Thank you very much for such kind comments :text-thankyouyellow: . I have learned so much from all of you and our Mates over the years of being associated with the Mitchell Reel Museum, it always gives me pleasure to return the the favor and provide some knowledge.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Simone Baschirotto

Based on this information I wonder if this is a small mistake in Wallace's book, all the books I know are not being perfect, with time new information is gained. Wallace is a great expert on the Mitchell versions and his is a ' great book.
However, your opinion is also needed at this point. :text-thankyouyellow:
Attachments
IMG_20211008_205857.jpg
IMG_20211008_205857.jpg (160.87 KiB) Viewed 11509 times

Wallace Carney

Post by Wallace Carney »

Greetings My Friends,

I'm a little confused, are we implying that the black/red two piece box was never used/made by Garcia Mitchell? Besides the one shown in my book (above), here is another red/black two piece box with SN 2615600. The box in the background is what I would call a reject. I did a long study of these rejected boxes. I'll try to find this study and show what I discovered.

Cheers, Wallace
Attachments
300dl sn 2615600.JPG
300dl sn 2615600.JPG (152.01 KiB) Viewed 11469 times

Simone Baschirotto

Thanks Wallace for your intervention!
We're just trying to clarify and experts like you and Chris can help us.
We look forward to your study!
Every collector must know which boxes are real and which are fake, some of us chasing a DL like a dream.

Cordiali saluti.
Simone