Conolon Fishing Rods

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
Bonaventure

Conolon Fishing Rods

Post by Bonaventure »

Hello Mitchell Mates,

On the previous Museum, there was a Forum Section for Conolon Rods, will this return to the new Museum?

G. Glen Simpson
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

toulady6

Re: Conolon Fishing Rods

Post by toulady6 »

Hi Glen,

I hope so too .
Conolon is Mitchell and so many mates have info and pictures to share .

best regards

Dries

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Hello Dries,

I liked seeing the various posts about them, however I do not have any Conolon Rod's. The best rod that I have is a Hardy Fibalite spinning rod. It is just over 7 feet in length. It has 2 rings to hold the reel directly to the cork, rather than a reel seat. The Rod was given to me by a fellow at work. He also gave me a Mitchell fly rod mounting a J.W. Young fly reel. He refused to take any money for them. Later, I gave him a small wood turning lathe that he gave to his brother.

I would like to see a section about classic rods, covering cane and early glass rods. I have little idea about brands of cane rods, I have seen an old Heddon casting rod made of cane. My father fished with bait casting reels mounted on steel rods.

Was fiberglass an improvement over cane or just less expensive to produce?

Best wishes to all

Glen

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Hello Dries,

I liked seeing the various posts about them, however I do not have any Conolon Rod's. The best rod that I have is a Hardy Fibalite spinning rod. It is just over 7 feet in length. It has 2 rings to hold the reel directly to the cork, rather than a reel seat. The Rod was given to me by a fellow at work. He also gave me a Mitchell fly rod mounting a J.W. Young fly reel. He refused to take any money for them. Later, I gave him a small wood turning lathe that he gave to his brother.

I would like to see a section about classic rods, covering cane and early glass rods. I have little idea about brands of cane rods, I have seen an old Heddon casting rod made of cane. It had agate lined eyes. My father fished with bait casting reels mounted on steel rods.

Was fiberglass an improvement over cane or just less expensive to produce?

Best wishes to all

Glen

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Glen, there are two websites I would recommend for learning more about old cane and glass rods. These are predominantly fly rod sites, but do have spinning/bait casting sections. These are forum websites like this one where there are many experts and much discussion on old rods with examples and discussions of virtually all manufacturers and models ever made, photos of catalogs, transition to glass, etc.

Glass - Fiberglassflyrodder.com - this one has the glass transition and spinning/bait casting section
Cane - Classicflyrodforum.com

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Thanks Sandman,

I suppose If the information I want is on other sites, it would not do to have it here. It was pretty early when I posted, wasn't thinking.

I apologize for the double post.....I seem to have trouble posting on my tablet sometimes.

Best to all,

Glen

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

There is so much info on Fiberglassflyrodders. I don't have any love for bamboo beyond the fact it is pretty to look at. I like early Hollow fiberglass for fly fishing. I have re-wrapped or re-worked a couple of Wright McGill fly rods with excellant results and hope to do the same for spinning rods this winter to hold my 304 reels. The Conolon's are on my list of rods to start with. I'd like to know which other names used the same blanks. When I go to sales I often see other old rods and avoid them. I want to purpose buy the ones I will use. So if you start discussing Conolon rods I'll be listening.

don309

Post by don309 »

I while back I became friends with a rod builder with 30 years experience, he became my mentor. He was from NJ before moving to NC 25 years ago.I sent him a couple Mitchell's he had as a kid, I often send him Tastykake's (that's a Phila.PA thing).
He sent me 2 vintage Conolon 6.25' blanks. I can't prove they are Conolon, But I take his word knowing his rod building knowledge from another site.I built them both a gave 1 to a cousin as a gift. The other I pair with a 308, I love the combo when I out in space! I tried to auction the rod on the old MRM to help with expenses, glad there were no takers.
Attachments
100_0483.JPG
100_0483.JPG (343.84 KiB) Viewed 4204 times
100_0481.JPG
100_0481.JPG (284.24 KiB) Viewed 4204 times
Trout on Conolon.jpg
Trout on Conolon.jpg (199.82 KiB) Viewed 4204 times

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Hello Don,

How long is that rod? is it one piece?

It is a beauty!

Glen

don309

Post by don309 »

Glenn,
It's a one piece 6.25", The guides are rapid reduction Minima.
Don

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

That would be close to 2 meters, for our European friends.

Nice Rig Don.

Glen

superduty71

Post by superduty71 »

So I have not been on here for awhile... yet the other day I had some time & caught up on all the posts I had missed...

I would also like to see a forum for the Conolon Rods at some point... it was a huge part of the Garcia legacy & in my opinion deserves it's own section on this site...

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

superduty71 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:10 am So I have not been on here for awhile... yet the other day I had some time & caught up on all the posts I had missed...
I would also like to see a forum for the Conolon Rods at some point... it was a huge part of the Garcia legacy & in my opinion deserves it's own section on this site...
Mates,
Personally I would not be in favor of a separate portion of the MRM for Conolon rods. I would also not be in favor of a separate section for Garcia.
I feel our expertise is with Mitchell and heaven knows there is enough with just Mitchell and all the many models they made.
I have no objection to an occasional post regarding Conolon rods.

As far as Garcia, I believe we already include many items about Garcia and feel it is best located with the Mitchell items and have some connection to Mitchell such as the history, distribution, and etc.

Just my :twocents-02cents:
Kind Regards,
Bill

superduty71

Post by superduty71 »

[/quote]Mates,
Personally I would not be in favor of a separate portion of the MRM for Conolon rods. I would also not be in favor of a separate section for Garcia.
I feel our expertise is with Mitchell and heaven knows there is enough with just Mitchell and all the many models they made.
I have no objection to an occasional post regarding Conolon rods.

As far as Garcia, I believe we already include many items about Garcia and feel it is best located with the Mitchell items and have some connection to Mitchell such as the history, distribution, and etc.

Just my :twocents-02cents:
Kind Regards,
Bill
[/quote]

Bill - As much as I agree with you... I also disagree. Garcia & Conolon have such a rich & embedded history with the Garcia brand I think they definitely deserve there own space on "The Michell Reel Museum" as they have had in the past. I think this is the exact reason they should have their own forums; so if you are not interested in it, you do not have to be part of those forums...

Either way it is a big part of the Mitchell, Garcia, Conolon history here in the U.S.

From the original "The Michell Reel Museum"... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0tJwbu4CvQ