Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Thanks for this place.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:57 pm • #  

Hello to everybody.

I live in Chile, South America, and my first fishing reel was a Mitchell.

Now I am 66 years old and this reel was a gift from my father long time ago. 1960 + some ?

I used this reel many years and at some moment it was broken. Surely was my fault as I had never made any maintenance. The handle was broken.

A few days ago I was happy to discover the reel abandoned in a drawer.

After some inquiries on internet I discover this site and learns some thing new of my old reel. It was a Mitchell 314 and I was able to learn why it was so good for my old fishing days.

Buying another in bad shape but with his handle ok, now my old reel after a little maintenance (disassembly, cleaning, oil and grease, thanks to all of you for sharing good advices) works as it was in better times.

I would wish some one could make the same on me. :sHa_biggrin:

Greetings from down south.

(PS. Please excuse any mistake in language)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:45 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings pescador,
Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum.
The reel you have is a fine reel. I am sure it means a lot to you since it was given to you by your father. :sHa_rollingsmilie:

Glad you were able to get it in top condition. In my opinion, the Mitchell outdo most of the new products available.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:08 am • #  

Your father made a considerable sacrifice to buy this reel for you back in the 60's.

I started fishing here in Nova Scotia with a friend about 1967 or 68. We were both in the navy and not earning a lot. He brought a Mitchell 300 that he had owned before from Ontario and I had to have one. They were about $30 and I could not afford to buy one. I chose to get a Mitchell 320 for about $16 new and used it with good success. I then bought an Intrepid Black Prince (British) on a rod second hand for about $10. It was also a good reel.

Your round body reel would have probably been close to the price of a 300, maybe more. Add the cost of importing the reel into Chile, that was a nice present for you from a thoughtful Dad.

How is the fishing in Chile?

G. Glen Simpson

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:01 pm • #  

Hello.

Thanks for your kind words.

I wasn’t aware of the cost involved with my reel in those olds days. Certainly I greatly appreciated its great performance on spinning fishing for trouts.

As probably you know Chile is a long and thin country with a long Pacific’s coast (sea water fishing) and many rivers, creeks and lakes to fish all along the country, specially the south zone of the country.

This is a link to an official touristic site on this theme.
https://chile.travel/en/what-to-do/adventure-and-sports/sport-fishing

Happy fishing to all.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply