Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:46 pm • #  

Like most Folktales this one started with a phone call It was
April First, 1977.
“Fred?,”
I answered, “Yes
“Fred, we need you to teach a course in the mill, at Syktyvkar.”
It was Heri O., from Sweden.
“Yeah, right! Happy April fool to you too”
“No Fred, this serious, we are doing the installation of two Dual vessel digester control systems, a dual (two process lines) Bleach plant and two Paper Machine process control systems. System training in the mill is in the contract!”

Where is Syktyvkar? About 750 miles northeast of Moscow, almost on the artic circle and almost as far east as the Ural Mountains
These photos are from my second trip to the USSR, June 1 to July 3, 1977
We organized a fishing trip for June 18 and June 19. The guys and I were planning a White Night. (Stay up all night drink Vodka and fish) Typical Russian party 5 guys, 6 bottles of vodka and a sleeping bag for the American when he passed out. Which I did after about 2:30 AM.
We went up river since the river was biologically dead below the mill. One of the guys saved enough money over ten years to buy a boat and motor. His boat was a copy of a Lone Star. The outboard motor was an Evinrude 35, with a strange Russian name. we pulled in to shore 40ks up stream. The meadow was covered with wild flowers. We spent the evening “fishing”, telling stories, talking about life, I demonstrated every way I knew to cast. But the hit of the evening was when I cast a cigarette butt. Money exchanged hands, bets were made. Dang, He did it!
This Komi Guy came out of the woods, leading a horse on a rope. He asked what they were doing?
We are talking with an American. “An American? You have to ride my horse.” I had never been on a horse! I took 3 attempts to get seated and when I did I came down on the sore on its back!
The horse took off!
I didn’t know Russian for “Whoa.” It didn’ understand English. Finally, when I pulled its head into my lap. It stopped! I rode around the meadow and stopped near the KomI Guy. He said, “See, I told You all Americans are cowboys!!!” (translated from the Russian)
I am the fourth American to set foot in Syktyvkar. I am the first American to visit Polosatyi Xvost (Village of Striped Horse Tail. Don’t ask , that is a whole nother story

Fred

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:57 pm • #  

Here we go again!

I added a added an Epson Perfection V500 Photo scanner. the pictures are jpeg 1800 x 1200 (580KB).

Back to the drawing board?
Try another way?
Pitch a hissy fit?
I just don't know

Fred

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:49 pm • #  

Fred,

See my reply to one of your other posts:
Playing with pictures
Quote:
Large did not upload because one of its dimensions, 1080, is larger than MRM's limit of 850.

Is your scanner attached to a Windows PC? If so, see what I replied to you previously:
Quote:
See if the MRM post linked below helps. Ted has some written instructions near the bottom. If you have Windows, you can use Microsoft Paint to resize. Some screen-capture instructions are at the bottom.

Photograph Viewing Issue

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:12 pm • #  

One more thing.

I checked your scanner's manual. The lowest output setting is 50 dpi. See what size JPG (? pixels x ? pixels) that gives you. I'm going to guess around 100 dpi would be close to max for MRM.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:54 pm • #  

Well John, :sSig_youtheman:

It's like this:

My brain doesn't convert very well so I played with DPI today.

the scanner's Native for film or slides is 300 X 300 - Error :sAng_banghead2:

So I decided to play with 150 X 150 - Error 980 X 585 pix :nono
Next
50 X 50 - 300 X 196, 36.7 KB Yea!!!! :sSig_youtheman:

So when does it barf?
72 DPI is next Works
96 DPI works

150 is in the BARF zone

Gee, nice to know!
Let me engrave that on the inside of my forehead so I can see it with my eyes shut.

Now how do I get rid of the Off Topic posts? :help:

Fred

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply