Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Fishing New Jersey
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:21 pm • #  

So last year I got into Flounder fishing. Started late end of July till September 10th closing. I caught between 60 to 70 fish. Not 1 legal size 18"
So Flounder season started yesterday, so off my gear and I went. I caught 5 all shorts. Largest about 13-14 inches. I did lose a heavy fish (felt like a flounder), the line cut off I think a rock or mussel shelf. Best part was I took my 206, and didn't let me down.
Well I'll be at it all season. I only fish inlets, maybe rent a boat with my friend a couple times. Hope to be able to post pictures :sAni_fish: .

May your lines always be tight, Don

Post subject: Re: Fishing New Jersey
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:23 pm • #  

Hey Don!

I fish inlets also, but my catch size is 19 inches...
What I think is a major crime and total disregard for the rights of individual anglers is that the commercials can take summer flounders (fluke) at 14 inches!!!

Five(???)years ago I had 37 fish from the beach one day and no keepers...I had to throw them all back so the commercials could make money!!!

Angrily,
Reely

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:50 pm • #  

Reely,
I totally agree with you!!! Back in the 70' a fellow named Wilson (Wilson lures), I believe from NJ. Fought for the 200 miles of American offshore water. He spent a lot of money for the bill, and won. Only to have our own fishing fleets, ruin it for the recreational fishermen!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:33 pm • #  

Hey Don!

I remember that another happening of that limit law was that foreign interests bought/created fishing fleets here!!!
The little guy always loses...

Reely

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:35 pm • #  

Well after catching 70-80 Flounder, Between mid July of last year till yesterday. I finally got a keeper 18". Had to take this picture fast, as I was getting action. First trip caught 5, and this trip 8 = 13 1 keeper. Caught on a Mitchell 205.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:34 pm • #  

Great catch don309. If you caught that flounder on a Mitchell 205 PLEASE TAKE A PICTURE OF IT'S SIDE PLATE and post it...Thanks
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :sHa_rollingsmilie:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:33 pm • #  

Thanks Kim,
The rig I was using is, Tsunami med weight saltwater rod with a Mitchell 206 (not 205) reel. I use 30lb test braid, with a 25lb fluorocarbon leader. I had to retire the reel for the day, a few cast after the fish. Noticed the bail bumper broke.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:15 am • #  

Well I finally got back out, to Point Pleasant NJ yesterday. I fished the inlet, for 11 hours. I caught 33 Fluke, with only 1 keeper ( 19" ). I'm sure Reely can relate, to a day of fishing NJ saltwater. I took my restored 406, and had a ball. By the way the paint is holding up very well! It takes a lot of abuse, laying it on the wall.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:58 am • #  

Hey Don!

Yes, I can relate...That sounds like a fun day...

A lot of fish on a vintage reel and even one for dinner...

Good for you!!!

I am very seriously thinking of moving to North Carolina, for a lot of reasons, one definitely is fishing, the summer flounder size limit is 15 inches there, a lot more realistic than what we suffer under.

Reely

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:17 pm • #  

Attachment:
20170901_091753_resized.jpg
Hey Reely,
I don't know if, you ever fish the Manasquan Inlet. Lots of Flounder there, though most are small. I just like spending the whole day out fishing, the action is a plus. Right after I caught the keeper. I had a rod bender, felt like a Flounder. Must not have had it hooked well, never saw it, came up with the hook and spearing head. Spearing is my bait of choice, I'll throw some gulp occasionally.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:22 pm • #  

Hi don309, Do you need a Jersey license to fish manasquan inlet ? Regards John in Pa.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:39 pm • #  

Hey John,
No you don't need a license, however you do need to register. If you go to www.saltwaterregistry.nj.gov You can register and print it out. I also use https://tides4fishing.com/us for the tides-solunar-moon phases.
If you go, maybe we can hook up. Be nice to fish beside another Mitchell saltwater.
Yesterday after netting the fish. A guy came over to see it, and asked if it was a 406. He said in has one. I usually just get, people looking at me because of the Mitchell unique clicking.
John aren't you from Allentown?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:45 pm • #  

Hey Don!

Fished Manasquan (ocean to my left) once about 30 years ago, for an hour or so caught a short, that's all.

All I remember was a railroad(?)bridge to my right and wished I could fish on the bank before it...

A long time ago.
Reely

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:02 pm • #  

Reely,
I fish the Point Pleasant side, ocean is on the right. The other side I believe is Brielle. Point Pleasant side only has a wall, the other side has rail. Easier to fish the wall. The bridge must be, the draw bridge that allows the bigger boats in to the inlet. One other note, I only fish it during the week. Weekends are crowded, and a lot of recreational boats.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:07 am • #  

Reely North Carolina, does sound like a good idea. Went back out to Manasquan Inlet yesterday. Caught 28 Flounder, Best was maybe 15 1/2". Took a ride to Snake River. and fished a bit. No fish the snapper blues where tearing up my bait. A lot of Cow Ray were at both places. At Manasquan I also caught 2 Sea Robbins & 2 baby Rays. Thank god they were small, saved my line. Total Flounder caught this year, is 94 only 2 keepers. My Daughter caught one also.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:16 pm • #  

Hey Don!

Maybe this will help us...I am tired of releasing fish(deeply hooked) that the commercials can keep!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 797646002/

Reely

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:16 am • #  

Hey Reely,
Well I guess we'll have to just wait and see. The spot I fish, I rarely lose a rig! Yet I have lost about 12 to 18 hooks, releasing fish. Check this out, a friend that dives Indian River Inlet Del. 18" & 25"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:26 pm • #  

Hey Don!

Losing hooks:
I use wide gap thin wire freshwater worm hooks and crush the barbs...a lot of time the smaller fish gulp down what you offer and minor surgery is needed to release them, if the hook cannot be removed, I cut it, hoping that the small part of it left will rust out or dislodge somehow...

Don't leave the whole hook in the fish...Stainless and plated hooks should not be used...

A while ago I read an offhand remark by a skin diver not related to our kind of fishing, he mentioned that he saw a lot of dead fluke on the bottom during one of his dives, maybe not related but if you leave a hook in a fish their chances of survival are dismal...

Releasing smaller fish because you have to will kill a lot of them, changing the size limit will stop this waste...

Reely

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:33 am • #  

I also cut the shank, when I can! But I do use the best hooks, for the fish I target. If I hook a legal fish, I want to keep it. I have pulled up a few cleaned carcasses. Which tells me the food chain keeps going. But I would rather not see a small fish die.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:17 am • #  

Spent another long day (12 hrs), at Manasquan Inlet. The bite was on, the olde 406 held up. Caught 63 Flounder :sCh_fisherman: , the problem was not one over 16 1/2". And only saw one 20" taken. All in all it was a good day :sHa_yes: .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:18 pm • #  

Sunday I picked up a Mitchell 7 1/2' ML-SP80 rod, at a flea market.
To go with the reel. So yesterday I fished with a Mitchell combo for the first time. Went back to Point pleasant, had a good day fishing! But same old story 38 Flounder NO 18" keepers. Did get 1 at 17" and 2 at 17 1/2". Also caught a sea robin, Stargazer, and a 16" blue. Looks like the blues are coming in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:03 am • #  

So I got out to Masaquan Inlet yesterday, for my last day of flounder (season ends Saturday). The season total was 361 fish with 5 keepers. I know it's not a good average. But I did enjoy using the 406, and it held up well. I don't think their was a day, that I didn't smile. Smiling because of people looking at me, because my reel was clicking away. I had quite a few conversations over the reel, from remembering having a Mitchell, to young bucks tell he they heard of them. Also had some jaws drop showing them picture off my phone, of the restore. Just thought i'd share a Mitchell moment.

Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply