Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Where I use my Mitchells
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:48 am • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings to all

Just a quick one to start the topic rolling

I live close to the east coast of Scotland where the North Sea provides a selection of small harbours and numerous beaches.

The Atlantic Salmon is the main quarry for the river angler in this area although some rivers are good for Sea Trout and all hold stocks of our native Brown Trout. Fly fishing is the predominate method although I believe spinning is allowed on some rivers.

Although frowned upon by many of the locals, there are a few course fisheries where Carp, Perch, and Roach can be caught using float or feeder tactics, this is where my Mitchell half bails get put to good use. Having said that, taking a step forward in time, I used a 314 last time out. Image

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:49 am • #  

I have a back to basic day every so often, i drop all the fancy bait runners and carbon rods and go down the river and use my 3rd edition half bail arm with an old cane rod you can't beat it. I also swap my baitrunners occasionally for when i go carp fishing and use my 440a's puts the fun back into having mitchells.

Take an old reel out !!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:27 pm • #  

Hi I use my mitchells, 408,310,and 301s in Malta, for believe it or not for sea fishing, using crystal braid, the smaller reels being used for float fishing in the harbours and the 300s being used for bottom fishing with small hooked paternosters, together with modern lightweight multi pieced travel rods they give superb sport to the traveling angler, Me, and all you need to do is to swill the reels off with warm fresh water, and then a light oil and a wipe over with a oily rag and the reels look as good as new, and have done for years,

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:23 am • #  

I got back into fishing with Grey Mullet in 2000 having not done any serious stuff since the late 70's.Mullet are my summer passion and my very first mullet was caught with, my then, 20 year old 300-subsequently I've used the nifty little 308s regularly.Mullet run hard and, as I quite like to play them directly off the reel,the exposed rotating head makes a great place to place your index finger to act as a human drag which you cannot do with modern skirted reels.
For the past few winters i've been fishing my local tidal rivers for pike and my first 20lb fish came on New years day 2008 on a  306 and 60's cane dennis pye pike rod.The 306 is my favourite mitchell-a tough workhorse of a reel perfect for the rigours of piking with baits.Mine is a minter ebayed from the states for the princely sum of eleven quid!It cost me much more to post it over.
I started beach fishing with a 602ap and although i now mostly use Abu 6500 ct's i'm keen to do a bit with a 402.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:26 pm • #  

I got back into fishing with Grey Mullet in 2000 having not done any serious stuff since the late 70's.Mullet are my summer passion and my very first mullet was caught with, my then, 20 year old 300-subsequently I've used the nifty little 308s regularly.Mullet run hard and, as I quite like to play them directly off the reel,the exposed rotating head makes a great place to place your index finger to act as a human drag which you cannot do with modern skirted reels.
For the past few winters i've been fishing my local tidal rivers for pike and here's my first 20lb fish came on New years day 2008 on a  306 and 60's cane dennis pye pike rod.The 306 is my favourite mitchell-a tough workhorse of a reel perfect for the rigours of piking with baits.Mine is a minter ebayed from the states for the princely sum of eleven quid!It cost me much more to post it over.
I started beach fishing with a 602ap and although i now mostly use Abu 6500 ct's i'm keen to do a bit with a 402. 

Last edited by anonymous on Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:39 pm • #  

Roy ,
Sorry mucked up the image download on the last post No.4 please could you delete it.Here's that first ever  twenty and the 306 that pulled her in.

Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:30 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Jeff
Nice Pike mate, you will always remember that one I bet, thanks for showing it.

The 306 looks good too.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:44 am • #  

Thanks Roy,it was a very special moment and took three seasons of fishing the river ,quite hard, to achieve.I've only had one other twenty from the venue since that time, but it was 26lb plus and despite fishing over a huge area of the river actually came from the same swim two years later.No it wasn't the same fish.
The 306 came from ebay USA several years ago when it was less popular.As i said earlier,it cost more to ship than the actual buying price.It really is in excellent order though when i got it was clogged up with thick grease.A quick swill out with paraffin and a re-lube and it runs as smooth as silk.It does get regular outings during the pike season though mostly on an occasional third rod-my main reels of choice being 'old school' Shimano 3500 'triton ' style baitrunners-another classic design which seems to be 'indestructible' and a bit of a cult reel among brit pikers.
The rod in the picture is a Chapman's Dennis Pye pike rod from the early sixties.A real beast of a thing,it weighs a ton and has a quoted test curve of 4lb.Chapman's made some very nice 'steely' cane rods in the 60's and 70's and at a reasonable price and Dennis Pye,who lent his name to the product,was a comtemporary broads piker who courted controversy occasionally through his angling carreer.Rather stupidly,shortly after using the rod to catch that pike,i sold it on.A decision I now regret.
I'm suprised that the 306 wasn't a more popular reel among pike anglers when it was in production.Most well known pikers of the era,such as Barrie Rickards,Martin Gay etc all championed 300s as their pike reel of choice and the 306 seemed to be somewhat overlooked.IMHO the 306 is a far better reel for the job especially when winching in heavy end rigs with equally heavy deadbaits.I suspect the popularity of the 300 sized reels was due to their versaltility and use in other disciplines of coarse fishing at the time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:55 am • #  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:25 am • #  

Hi Jeff,
         Nice outfit mate, I had one of Chapmans Dennis Pye rods until I sold it last year, mine was the 700 model with seperate butt.  I know what you mean about it being a beast of a rod, you could pull a donkey out of a field with it.
Among a few other cane rods in my armoury I use a Chapmans 550 MK 1V now and although I haven't had a twenty pound pike yet I have had a few mid to high doubles on it and I have also had a couple of twenty pound plus carp on it, no problems with it taking a set either. I rate them better than the B James MK 1V rods especially the later ones with the doughnut handle. The early Ealing address rods being better.
The 306 is a lovely reel and ideal for big fish, I think they were aimed at the carp, pike and salmon anglers but seem to have been used mainly for light sea fishing and are usually well corroded by the salt water, yours is in superb condition and a nice find, it probably hasn't even seen the sea.
I think the 300 was more popular because with a few different spools you could use one reel for all types fishing from match to mackerel.
I don't think people in the 60s were such tackle tarts as they are now with a pair of rods and reels for every species of fish, two or three rods and a couple of reels and they could just about tackle anything that swims in British waters. It usually takes me a day to prepare for my next fishing trip, a couple of cane rods, a carbon float rod, my old faithful Avon rod, better take a carp rod and a spinning rod just in case, a pair of Mitchell 410s, a 408, a baitrunner, a couple of centrepins, one for trotting and one for margin work, a thousand hooks, a stone of lead etc etc etc oh and enough food to last a week in case I get a bit hungry. Then I get there and set my Avon rod up with a 408 on it and wonder why I brought all the rest.Image
Best regards to all.
Wal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:29 am • #  

Wal,
I've also had a 550 and it was a very nice rod indeed though i've never tried the more popular B.James' rods.They are way out of my league price wise.
I think you're dead right about the 300s being so versatile and it must be one of the few reels that you could get three different capacity spools for.I don't think that sort of thing is available even today.
I laughed when i read your account of what you take with you fishing.Recently ,i've really tried to cut back on kit i take ,especially when i'm piking as it invariably involves walking long distances.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:15 pm • #  

Hi Jeff,
           yes some of the old cane rods are getting very expensive especially the ones with a cult following, mind you I'll bet over half of the cane rods left in existence never even see a stretch of water due to what they cost, shame really but that's collecting for you.
I  have tried travelling light on a few occasions and it's amazing how much you can do without. I can have a really good days fishing with just one rod and reel, a landing net and a few bits a bobs stuffed in my combat jacket pockets. 
Combat jackets, what a great invention, it has always amazed me how much junk you can carry in the pockets of a combat jacket, it would fill a small seat-box.
Good luck with your piking mate.
Wal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:46 pm • #  

It's fun to use the old stuff but i think it shows realistically just how good modern tackle can be.Much as I love cane rods for the look and feel,IMHO, carbon stuff really takes a lot of beating .I've got a pair of carbon 11ft 2.5lb t.c pike rods built by a chap called Dave Lumb who is well known in the piking world.These rods are superlight and although designed as bait rods,would be just as useful casting lures all day,and are more than powerful enough to handle anything i'm going to catch in the U.K.A world apart from old cane and glass rods.I also have a whippet like carbon 15ft float rod that would weigh a ton in cane or glass,but I can trot a float with it all day long without the feeling that my right arm is going to drop off.
Reels are a bit different and although I'll admit that my modern(ish) baitrunners etc are silky smooth,and have an extremely efficient front drag,my 306's and 308's are just as tough and reliable and ,if needs be,can be stripped down to components and serviced in a fraction of the the time it would take to do the same to the shimanos.Having said that,i've had a pair of 1000 size Shimano mid range quality reels for nearly a decade,given them some serious use after mullet(saltwater) and admittedly, i've rinsed them under the tap after EVERY trip,they've NEVER been taken apart!!They're nowhere near as aesthetically pleasing as the mitchells though.
Really tough on the piking front this season due to the weather conditions.I only fish rivers-stillwater pike aren't really my bag although if I ever get a chance to get up to Scotland it'll be a different matter.
The rivers I fish are mostly tidal,can be extremely testing, and therefore do not attract many anglers which I like- the downside is that the pike aren't that easy to find.Combine that with snow melt and flooding due to heavy rain,which severely affects both the rivers I fish,and you can see why it's such a challenge.I reckon,on average,i'll pike fish at least once a week through the winter season,If I get ten doubles by March 14th,i'll have done well but ,so far this season,i've only had three.But then the rivers have been fishable for about half the time this season.
With a bit of luck I'll be out later this week though.

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:49 pm • #  

Forgot to mention-the centrepin reel i mostly use is a fifty year old Youngs Trudex.... and because of the simplicity of the design is no worse than the ultra modern centrepins currently on the market.........some things can't be bettered!

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply