'The Mitchell' oscillator plate question.

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
Rockape

'The Mitchell' oscillator plate question.

Post by Rockape »

I have a box of half bail spares with an alloy oscillator plate in it. Were some made from aluminium / alloy?
It is clearly a lot brighter and lighter in weight than my steel ones.

To be honest in all the few (13 or so) 'The Mitchell' reels that I have so far stripped and serviced, I don't remember seeing one made from that material, though I may be mistaken (my short term memory is not what it was).

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?

GreatLaker

Re: 'The Mitchell' oscillator plate question.

Post by GreatLaker »

Rockape,
Are you talking about the slide or the slide guide?

https://mitchellreelmuseum.com/forum/vi ... ddc47#p592

Kind Regards,
Bill :D

Rockape

Post by Rockape »

GreatLaker wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:20 am Rockape,
Are you talking about the slide or the slide guide?

https://mitchellreelmuseum.com/forum/vi ... ddc47#p592

Kind Regards,
The slide (the moving part that engages with the axle shaft)

Rockape

Post by Rockape »

Here are some photos.
The brighter one is featherweight alloy and the other looks like case hardened metal; a lot heavier. Both came with version 2 / Mk 2 bodies and version 3 gear plates (obviously a mishmash of parts).

And just as a side detail on the bail wires that came with these parts, I noticed that the version2 / Mk2 bail wire is thinner than the late 3rd bail wire (I feel confident in designating their Mark or version, because the thinner bail was on a rotor with the indent for RH wind, and the thicker bail wire has the Large screw head for the thinner guide).
Attachments
20231020_165924.jpg
20231020_165924.jpg (339.9 KiB) Viewed 4481 times
20231020_165904.jpg
20231020_165904.jpg (483.24 KiB) Viewed 4481 times
20231020_170326.jpg
20231020_170326.jpg (360.6 KiB) Viewed 4481 times
20231020_165941.jpg
20231020_165941.jpg (490.59 KiB) Viewed 4481 times

Rockape

Post by Rockape »

I have also added a shot of the bodies these parts came with (I also have another like those which again came as a parts project, but I am in the process of trying to find the remaining parts I need to complete a correct spec version 2....may take me some time..lol!).

Sorry for hijacking my own thread.
Attachments
20231020_172542.jpg
20231020_172542.jpg (437.85 KiB) Viewed 4478 times

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Rockape,
Regarding the slide (#27) or oscillation slide (#81030) as it was later called, evolved over time as did most Mitchell 300 parts.
It's very difficult to speculate exactly which material(s) any given part was made of due to the fact that materials changed as I mentioned above, and manufacturing methods as well. Many parts were given a plating or coating for various reasons as well.
Wallace posted for us that the first version oscillation slide was steel. An easy check with a magnet.
You can also easily find brass oscillation slides with some type of silver colored plating on them which could be chrome, nickel, or something else. Later, Mitchell 300 oscillation slides returned to steel with some type of black coating or plating as you show.
Could there have been an alloy version? I sure don't see why not but do not know for sure.

Kind Regards,
Bill

Rockape

Post by Rockape »

GreatLaker wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:52 pm Rockape,
Regarding the slide (#27) or oscillation slide (#81030) as it was later called, evolved over time as did most Mitchell 300 parts.
It's very difficult to speculate exactly which material(s) any given part was made of due to the fact that materials changed as I mentioned above, and manufacturing methods as well. Many parts were given a plating or coating for various reasons as well.
Wallace posted for us that the first version oscillation slide was steel. An easy check with a magnet.
You can also easily find brass oscillation slides with some type of silver colored plating on them which could be chrome, nickel, or something else. Later, Mitchell 300 oscillation slides returned to steel with some type of black coating or plating as you show.
Could there have been an alloy version? I sure don't see why not but do not know for sure.

Kind Regards,
Bill
Thank you Bill for your kind response to my question.

Yes, like you say, there were lots of evolving changes, and some may have lasted only a very short time.
This oscillation slide is definitely a light alloy (lightweight in the extreme) and may have been a short lived cost saving experiment..?

Another interesting, and at the same time frustrating aspect of collecting these wonderful reels (for me at least), is where some reels turn up with parts from early and late in the version, and wondering if it is just an old and new stock factory build or a later parts rebuild (I do try to keep my own restorations and repairs consistent with what is most commonly seen for the period).

I mention this because I just picked one up today with an A03xxx number on the foot, and it has an early 3rd version / Mk3 bail arm line guide, early baffle plate and an early handle (and a very early spool), but all other parts are what I consider to be typical A serial spec (later 3rd). So is this one all original or a parts reel?
With such a simple modular design, Mitchell made it easy to replace broken or damaged parts, which for the user, is a blessing, but ended up a problem for the novice (and experienced) future collector.

On the upside, it has given me something to share and talk about with everyone here (old news to most of you, I'm sure).

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Rockape wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:16 pm And just as a side detail on the bail wires that came with these parts, I noticed that the version2 / Mk2 bail wire is thinner than the late 3rd bail wire (I feel confident in designating their Mark or version, because the thinner bail was on a rotor with the indent for RH wind, and the thicker bail wire has the Large screw head for the thinner guide).
Rockape,
It's hard to understand exactly what you are referring to regarding the 1/2 bail wires you show. I noticed that the bail on top in the photo, has a narrower line guide from the one below. The wider line guide (below) came first and I'm pretty sure is made out of tungsten carbide. At some point Mitchell switched from the tungsten carbide line guide to the narrower line guide some of which were made out of duraloy.

I am convinced that the 1/2 bail arms were made out of brass with a hard chrome plating. Early advertisements claim they were made out of various materials such as stainless steel alloy and or "strong rust-proof metal....". I should also mention that I have located two NOS 1/2 half bail arms which I do believe are made out of stainless steel alloy although I have never seen the stainless steel alloy bail on a production reel.

Kind Regards,

Rockape

Post by Rockape »

GreatLaker wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:29 am
Rockape wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:16 pm And just as a side detail on the bail wires that came with these parts, I noticed that the version2 / Mk2 bail wire is thinner than the late 3rd bail wire (I feel confident in designating their Mark or version, because the thinner bail was on a rotor with the indent for RH wind, and the thicker bail wire has the Large screw head for the thinner guide).
Rockape,
It's hard to understand exactly what you are referring to regarding the 1/2 bail wires you show. I noticed that the bail on top in the photo, has a narrower line guide from the one below. The wider line guide (below) came first and I'm pretty sure is made out of tungsten carbide. At some point Mitchell switched from the tungsten carbide line guide to the narrower line guide some of which were made out of duraloy.

I am convinced that the 1/2 bail arms were made out of brass with a hard chrome plating. Early advertisements claim they were made out of various materials such as stainless steel alloy and or "strong rust-proof metal....". I should also mention that I have located two NOS 1/2 half bail arms which I do believe are made out of stainless steel alloy although I have never seen the stainless steel alloy bail on a production reel.

Kind Regards,
Sorry Bill, I should have been a bit clearer in my description.
The earlier bail wire itself (not the D shaped line pickup section) has a noticably thinner diameter and slower taper than the later one and is more consistent along it's length.
I know I am picking on some very minor details here, but it facinates me.