Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Old father's reel
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:19 pm • #  

I remember it. I remember my father saying that Mtichel were the better reel you cold buy. I remember my father using one when I was young, an old 302, and he used that till the reel got really bad shape and the internal pieces got a really used history. And, after this one, he bought a nice 486, that go along the rest of his fisherman life. I'm Brazilian, and this rememberings are about rockfishing (sea).

Probably, my father had three or four Mitchells, all his life. I'm with his old 308 in the reels drawer just now, reel he used just for some freshwater fishing episodies. He never bought a Mitchell for me, for some reasons. First, were pricey, more than the others reels you could buy in the fishing stores in my city (Sao Paulo). Second, he knew the son he had, and the reel, despite a really good mark, in fact shouldn't going last long in good shape in my hands. :sHa_biggrin:

This was long time ago, at 60's, 70's and 80's. My father passed away much years ago, and now probably is fishing the the paradise rocks. Now, I'm the old man. And some time ago, I tought "why not to buy some Mitchell, to get that good rememberings here again?". And I bought some. A lot of them. :sHa_biggrin: The question is: How to stop it? :sHa_lol:

(sorry my bad english, but I couldn't do not read and register here) :-)

Post subject: Re: Old father's reel
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:12 pm • #  

Hello Mauricio , Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum , all of us I'm sure have a lot of memories like yours. Me not so much with my father because he wasn't a fisherman, but I got hooked at about 10 or so and have been fishing ever since and I'm 73 now.As far as being able to stop ,you can't it's like a disease that you can't cure , Now I probably spend as much time working and cleaning up Mitchell reels as I do fishing. Good luck with your new hobby. Regards , John in Pa. U.S.A. ( by the way your English is just fine )

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:53 am • #  

Oscillator1 wrote:
Hello Mauricio , Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum , all of us I'm sure have a lot of memories like yours. Me not so much with my father because he wasn't a fisherman, but I got hooked at about 10 or so and have been fishing ever since and I'm 73 now.As far as being able to stop ,you can't it's like a disease that you can't cure , Now I probably spend as much time working and cleaning up Mitchell reels as I do fishing. Good luck with your new hobby. Regards , John in Pa. U.S.A. ( by the way your English is just fine )

Hi, pal. Happy to hear your words. :sHa_yes: You right. We never get cured of that. And you right again, we passing more time cleaning than fishing. :sHa_biggrin:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:16 pm • #  

Hello Mauricio,

Welcome to the Mitchell Museum Group :sSig_welcome4: .

Thank you for such a fine introduction and as John said, I think we all have similar experiences. My first Mitchell (a 304) was a gift from my Dad in 1973 - I still use that reel today and it could never be replaced. I also agree with John in that there is no cure for this passion....But you're in great company with the rest of us :sFun_rofl: . I just wanted a few additional Mitchells five years ago - 350 Mitchell reels later in the collection - and I see no reason to slow down now :sFun_bananachaplin: It looks like you have a very nice collection of Mitchell reels already - congratulations!

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:51 pm • #  

cshannon772 wrote:
Hello Mauricio,

Welcome to the Mitchell Museum Group :sSig_welcome4: .

Thank you for such a fine introduction and as John said, I think we all have similar experiences. My first Mitchell (a 304) was a gift from my Dad in 1973 - I still use that reel today and it could never be replaced. I also agree with John in that there is no cure for this passion....But you're in great company with the rest of us :sFun_rofl: . I just wanted a few additional Mitchells five years ago - 350 Mitchell reels later in the collection - and I see no reason to slow down now :sFun_bananachaplin: It looks like you have a very nice collection of Mitchell reels already - congratulations!

Best Regards,
Chris

Thanks by the welcoming, pal. I intend to learn a lot reading the Forum posts. By the way, what a kind of interesting matter it is, he he he. :sHa_biggrin:

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply