Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:24 pm • #  

Just something a friend and I were talking about the other day. If you could own only 2 rods and 2 reels, considering the type of fishing (or collecting) you do, what would they be and why? Without a doubt my fresh water rig would be a 300 with both spools on a medium Shakespeare Wonderod. The most dependable and versatile setup I can imagine for fresh water. A little large for crappie and bluegill but, you have to make a sacrifice somewhere. I have not settled on a salt water rig yet. I love Penn Senator 113s; but, since I have never mastered the technique of casting a conventional reel it would be of little use to me inshore. Spot and whiteing would be a bit problematic on a 113 Penn. I guess I would have to go with a large spinning reel; maybe a 302 or Daiwa 960 on an old Penn Slammer. Anyone got any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:00 pm • #  

Hard to say regarding the reels, I have so many favorites...Rods would be St Croix Avid's though.

Probably the Mitchell 908 for light and even ultra light...they take the spool arbor for the 3310 and 4410 reels and you can also use the 300S shallow spool on them...so 4# and 6/8# test is covered. Though I like the 314 for 6/8# as well.

Though a close second to the 908 would be the DAM Quick Microlite 265.

For Medium Light/Medium, I'd really have to give the nod to my Okuma RAW II in 30 size, which can also take a 40 size spool. 2nd choice would be a Mitchell 300

For any thing larger...Mitchell 900...with the stack drag spool.

Don't tag me for listing more than 2 reels...it was hard enough to whittle it down to the above!! :D

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply