Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:26 pm • #  

Good Day Gentlemen

I want to to introduce myself as your latest member (as of 2011/06/21) - I ran accross this forum by accident through a Google search. 

I first heard of Mitchell as a kid at school listening to my schoolmates talking about fishing, although my dad did fly fishing and had boxes full of flies he basically quit Angling altogether by the time I was old enough to be interested - so, I had to wait until I was old enough to have my own car before I could get into it myself! I went to school in South Africa and lived there for the best part of my life, I have now been living in Canada for 13 years or so and finally have gotten back into Fishing (Spinning mostly) recently. I found a Mitchell 400 in virtually perfect condition in a pawn shop some years ago here in Canada, and it forms the core of my Tackle together with a 300 and a 308 that I brought with from South Africa.

I have a "Fetish" for the 300 -based types, and I actually use mine - I hope it is not considered sacrilege, I realise that there are more "technologically advanced" reels around with MANY ball-bearings and electronic warning systems etc, however I just cannot imagine going after Trout etc without a classic Mitchell on my rod (I have no qualms using modern rods though!).

Thank you for "listeneing" -  JunkyJan, BC Canada

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:17 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Junkyjan,

Nice 1st post and introduction mate!  Glad to have you aboard.  Your introduction touched many topics that you will find that other members have already posted views about.  I kinda forms the base in which this site is a great resource of information for all things Garcia and Mitchell.  I hope that you spend sometime going thru the site to peruse all the different topics.  If there are any questions we can help you with regards to your reels and rods. please ask.  Glad to hear that you use the reels to fish with , that is what it is all about.  Cheers and tight lines!

Regards,  Scott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:32 pm • #  

...Your good wishes are very much appreciated!

I have in the meantime browsed around this forum and come to the conclusion that I have a L-O-T to learn. To help kick-start my collection, I have two Mitchell 300 reels waiting to be mailed from the States - an Ebay purchase, however we have a postal worker's strike going on ATM so I try to be patient.

-- 'Jan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:10 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Jan,

Welcome to our group and thank you for sharing your story. Most of us also use these old Mitchell reels and to me it's sacrilege not to take these fishing in most cases.

Best Regards, Wallace

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply