Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Garcia Galion
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:54 pm • #  

My first Garcia reel was a Galion 12 that I bought for £2.09p when I was still at school. I still own a late 1970s era Mitchell 300 I purchased new a couple of years or so after the Galion.

It has hardly been used as I acquired a 440 'Match' not long after buying the 300 & tended to predominantly use that or an ABU reel.

I sold the 440 years ago but I still have the 300. I stopped fishing for too many years as I had other things to do. Although I plan to do some carp fishing with that virtually mint condition 300 soon. :tup

This site has brought back a lot of happy childhood memories of fishing with my late father for me.

The jpegs of the Galion advert especially, for the money it was a great reel.

Post subject: Re: Garcia Galion
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:51 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Galion,

Nice story on your reels. My 1st reel was a 304, I do not use it as much but it is still a favorite that brings back many a memory with my Dad. When you catch that carp send us a photo, we would love to see it. Cheers!

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:09 am • #  

Hello Scott, thanks for the reply. I think I used the 440 more than the 300 because it had a faster winding ratio. It was the blue coloured one with the plastic name panel, as opposed to the etched scrolling of the 300. I never liked the plastic panels & always thought that they were a bit tacky. I have seen a couple of old 304 reels, I've always wanted one! I used a 330 once that I borrowed from a friend for a session. That was basically a 300 with the 'finger-dab' bail arm like the 440 'Match'. Both were very popular at one time with match fisherman in the UK as it speeded up casting. I remember many 'debates' between the blokes in my dad's fishing club as to which was the superior float reel between the 'Match' 440 & the ABU 506 closed-face. Both were beautifully engineered though.

I think that overall the 300 is my favourite. The 'finger-dab' always seemed a tad gimmicky to me. The 300 just seemed to be what it was: a classy beautifully engineered reel. I read somewhere that it was originally designed in England, I don't know how true that is though. I know they were manufactured in France.

When I catch that carp I will certainly post a jpeg.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:16 pm • #  
Administrator

Hey Dave,

Welcome to our group, your same story is being told all around the world, including me :clap

For information on the history of Mitchell reels, see: http://mitchellreelmuseum.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=62

Kindest Regards,
Wallace

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:00 pm • #  

Wallace Carney wrote:
Hey Dave,

Welcome to our group, your same story is being told all around the world, including me :clap

For information on the history of Mitchell reels, see: http://mitchellreelmuseum.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=62

Kindest Regards,
Wallace

Hello Wallace, thanks for the welcome (& the link). The Garcia Mitchell story is probably one of the great success stories of the 20th century. I think at one time virtually every angler in the world either owned or aspired to own a Mitchell. I'm really glad that I hung on to that 300 over the years. It really is in pristine condition.

That's a really informative article that you've written mate. I enjoyed reading it. I don't know where I got the idea that the 300 was originally designed by an Englishman. Maybe someone patented something similar & it became an urban legend or something. I read something about it years ago in the 'Course Fisherman' magazine I think.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:46 pm • #  

I thought I'd take a picture of the 300, I may strip it down soon just to check it out. It's been in storage for over a quarter of a century! It looks & works fine though as far as I can tell. As I said earlier, it was never really used. Hopefully it will be catching some carp & tench sometime next year. The jpeg isn't too good as I took it on my rather elderly Sony Ericsson mobile phone. There isn't a mark or scratch on the reel though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:59 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Dave, nice reel mate.
I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with, I've lost count of the Carp I have caught with a 300, great fun.
It won't need a lot doing to it, the grease will have moved away from the gears and need putting back where it will do some good.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:07 pm • #  

Hello Roy, thanks for the tip about the grease. I always worry about stripping something down, reassembling it, then finding I have a part left over & I don't know what it does lol! The last time I stripped the 300 down (out of curiosity) I was still a schoolboy. I can still remember taking the infamous 'part 5579' out of my ABU 506 at around the same time so it could be back-wound. Match fishermen in those days preferred to back-wind a running fish rather than use the clutch. It helped stay in more contact with the fish. I suppose it all depends on the size of the fish. I still back-wind to this day. Old habits die hard I reckon.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:31 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Dave

After removing the screws, keep the reel vertical and open the two halves like opening a book, that way the parts stay in place.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:59 am • #  

Roy Allett wrote:
Hi Dave

After removing the screws, keep the reel vertical and open the two halves like opening a book, that way the parts stay in place.

Kind regards Roy

OK thanks mate, will do.

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply