Mitchell Reel Museum - Mitchell Mates Discussion Group
http://mitchellreelmuseum.com/forum/

300 Side Plate Screws
http://mitchellreelmuseum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=6202
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Schrack [ Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:54 am ]
Post subject:  300 Side Plate Screws

What is metric size?

Author:  Ted Lanham [ Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 300 Side Plate Screws

Schrack,
I'm not a machinist, so I can't be 100% that this correct, but one of the mates posted that the 300 side plate screws were M2.5X45.
I do know that there have been new 300 side plate screws sold on eBay, but they had flat heads. The original screws were rounded, and may have been unique to Mitchell. I know that anytime I need one for a reel, I just used one from a parts reel.
Another thing to consider, the early screws were made of a different alloy than the later ones. If my memory is correct, the early ones could be picked up with a magnet and the later ones could not.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

Author:  Bonaventure [ Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 300 Side Plate Screws

Probably they shifted from a steel alloy screw to stainless steel. Most stainless steel alloys are non magnetic.

The length of the screw is 8 mm.


G. Glen Simpson
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Author:  Schrack [ Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 300 Side Plate Screws

Danke for info.

Author:  bailarm [ Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 300 Side Plate Screws

Just the very first side cover screws were steel, they were quickly changed to chrome plated brass during the production of the 'second version'. They stayed that way until the crosshead screws on the Taiwan-made reels.

I don't think there are any new ones left now, apart from in Garcia Field Service Kits, but there is an chap in the UK who has some very close replicas. He's closed his eBay shop now due to the high charges, but still lists some bits and bobs...his e-mail address and 'phone number is in each listing under Business Seller Information ' Complet Information'



https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mitchell-3-N ... xy79VRdQS1


Mike's screw are not an exact copy, but they are very close.

Author:  Bonaventure [ Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 300 Side Plate Screws

I appreciate your correction on the material. Brass is somewhat resistant to corrosion, chrome or nickel plating helps even more.

I have scrounged screws from a later model that had a Phillips head. I am sure that these are stainless steel.

A countersunk screw that has a bit of a dome on top is an "oval head " screw. These are what were used, rather than a flat head countersunk screw.

I am trying to source some Stainless screws for my Mitchells. I am not a collector, my reels are fishers, so it doesn't matter to me if the screw is original.

I am also looking at stripping the paint on a few, acid treating the corrosion and Black Anodizing the aluminum surfaces. This would protect inside and out. Some of my reel bodies are badly corroded. I will paint the exterior with black lacquer of some sort. I have a friend that can do this for me as long as it isn't too many.

To me, the weak part of Mitchell reels lies in the finish not being rugged enough.

G. Glen Simpson

Author:  Jeremy Fisher [ Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 300 Side Plate Screws

It's always a joy to learn something new, and thanks to Bailarm that has been the case today.

Based on something I read, I had always thought that the cover plate screws were steel or aluminium. I now know they were steel or plated brass, a fact I have verified with a magnifying glass and a file.

About 90% of 1st. and 2nd. ver. reels have steel screws as do early 3 rd. versions. The other 10% have plated brass, and these are easily identified because they have a very narrow slot. I have seen the odd early reel with both types of screw.

Thanks Bailarm.

JF.

Author:  Schrack [ Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 300 Side Plate Screws

Most of metal parts on Mitchell's are plated brass, noticed bails worn show brass along with many other parts. , Brass don"t rust it will corrode if exposed to elements, and turn green. but holds property. The one reel I just received is brand new inside. I've been lucky lately.

Author:  Jeremy Fisher [ Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 300 Side Plate Screws

Dear Schrack,

Thanks for that confirmation and congratulations on your latest purchase,

JF.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/