Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:33 am • #  

I had a Mitchell reel most of my life that was passed down to me. My dad just isn't much of a fisherman, so he gave it to me when I was still fairly young. Several years ago I made the mistake of setting it down for a minute on a dock. It was pretty much within arm's reach while I was messing with gear but something hit it like a passing freight train. I dragged the bottom with heavy gear but had no luck. I replaced it with a middlin' priced combo, and then needed another reel a couple of seasons later and then...

Fast forward a few years and I have tossed a couple of reels and have others I should have tossed but they "kinda" work. This seemed ridiculous when I had the Mitchell for decades and it was fine the whole time. So I got an old used 300, which I have been using for quite a while with no trouble until I recently forgot to clean it quickly enough after a salt water trip and corroded the brake spring. It actually still works with the corroded part but I am going to replace that.

As I am starting to fish salt more and plan to continue to, I also picked up an old 302 in great shape that I am putting into service as my "big game" reel. I had been using a "Surf Beast" reel from a low budget surf combo I picked up a few years ago. The "Surf Beast" has been giving me warning signs; being hard to reel for a couple of turns and then normal again but looks okay disassembled. Remind me again of why bearings are so much better than bushings. So into the box of reels that "kinda" work it goes...

I joined up largely to get info about servicing the 300, but figured I would post up a hello/intro.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:50 am • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings carvedtones,
Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum.

I've never used a Mitchell 300 on salt water, but you may get help with that kind of fishing from some of the salt water mates.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:16 pm • #  

carvedtones,
I'd like to suggest something to you, I use a grease called Corrosion Block (buy it online) on the body & gears of all my reels saltwater or freshwater . Many boaters us it on their trailers etc. I put a thin coat on the inside and outside, and wipe the outside down. Just last year I had a rod & reel pulled into the inlet. A fellow next to me snagged it. I didn't have tools with me, so fished it a few days. When I got home to maintain it, I was happy to see what saltwater that was in it was beaded on top of the grease. I live in the Northeast, I put it on my battery terminals never any corrosion.
Another mate greatlaker also made a great point about saltwater fishing. Soak the spool in freshwater and let dry before fishing again, gets the saltwater off the plastic spool.
By the way where do you do your saltwater fishing?
Hope this helps.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:17 pm • #  

carvedtones,
Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum (MRM). :sSig_welcome4:

Mitchell 300 rusted brake springs are all too common for both fresh and salt water fishing.

I suggest you buy a complete new spool assembly rather than just replacing the brake spring. Shipping alone, now days, makes buying small parts a poor value.

You can buy a used spool for $3.00 to $5.00 on eBay but be careful to ask the seller to show you the insides of the spool or guarantee no rust. Its Buyer Beware now days.

I have purchased brand new spools sealed in the original packaging for less that $10.00 not counting shipping. Shop around for the best deals. By the way, the brand new spool had a little rust forming on the brake spring, just from sitting around it its original package. :sCh_taz:

don309,
Don't forget I said to soak just the disassembled spool portion of the spool assembly. Remove the spindle, brake spring, drag nut, etc. down to just the spool and line. :sHa_rollingsmilie:

Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:29 am • #  

I know it's not a huge deal, but for some reason it's really disappointing when I buy a reel, and do the customary complete disassembly, and find a really nasty looking spring. Some are rusty, some are rusty and caked in grease, some are so gummed up that they won't even spin, and I've even found a couple that had one of the spring fingers broken off. Of course we can't forget the ones that are missing the washers too...
Fortunately it doesn't happen often, but over the years I've accumulated a ridiculous number of complete spools,
and spool parts as well so it's an easy fix.

Regarding your comment about modern reels with bearings, I agree. I'm guilty of owning a few newer spinning reels that would be considered upper end spinning reels that are only a couple years old.
These reels are nice. They are very lightweight, very smooth, and have 10 bearings each, and they all have incredible drag systems.

That said, I have numerous Mitchells from the 300 size family and 308/408 reels that have no bearings, and are just as smooth as the new reels. The exceptions would be the 300C and 410 reels which do have two bearings. Granted, I always take apart every reel I get and give it a through cleaning, but some of these reels haven't been apart since they were made 50-60 years ago, so they have earned a little TLC. Every once in awhile a reel might need a new part, but they are very easy to work on and parts are readily available and inexpensive. Replace the part and it's good for another 50 years... I could be wrong but I really don't think very many of the modern reels will be still be around and working in 20 years, let alone 50. Unfortunately we live in a disposable society, and people don't want to fix things when they break, they would rather throw it away and buy a new one.

Mitchell did an incredible job designing and building their reels, and that back before plastics were heavily used, and before CNC machines were around. Seeing what Mitchell accomplished, it's hard to get overly excited about the modern reels.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply