Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:56 am • #  

Can anyone tell me anything about the 300 limited that is in an acrylic case. What year were they made and are they easy to find?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:15 pm • #  

jlslavey,
Normally, you will not find much information about those reels here at the MRM. See the tab above titled: "About Us" for an explanation of what the MRM is about. You may find one or two of the current Mates who have personal knowledge and or interest in the brand name MITCHELL but it is not the same company that made the French reels.

Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:59 pm • #  
Global Moderator

jlslavey,
I agree with Bill concerning that reel, but I'll add that there have some of that models sold on eBay, so you might find something in their completed sales list.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:11 pm • #  

GreatLaker wrote:
jlslavey,
Normally, you will not find much information about those reels here at the MRM. See the tab above titled: "About Us" for an explanation of what the MRM is about. You may find one or two of the current Mates who have personal knowledge and or interest in the brand name MITCHELL but it is not the same company that made the French reels.

Kind Regards,

I understand that the Mitchell reels are made in Taiwan or overseas someplace, but isn't the company today known as Mitchell that sells the new style 300, which I believe this one is, still the same company or is there someone else using the name Mitchell out there? I guess I'm a little confused. :sCo_huhsign:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:49 pm • #  
Global Moderator

jlslavey,
I believe the company that last owned the Mitchell name was Pure Fishing, and I think they were the ones that made that particular reel. The "History" link at the top of the explains it better than I can. Here's the latest info on Pure Fishing.
https://sgbonline.com/pure-fishing-hits ... ling-bock/

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:05 pm • #  

Thanks Ted, I have read that the Mitchell reels of today are nothing compared to the older ones. It's also very interesting to read about all the different companies out there are all owned by one parent company, not just the ones in this article but food,clothes,health the list goes on and on. As for the 300 limited reel I did purchase one and I think I got a very good deal on it. I was more curious to know more about the make up of it and a little history but that might be a little hard to find. Thanks again and I just love this site

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:07 am • #  
Global Moderator

jlslavey,
I haven't held one of the 300 limited reels in my hand, but I think that they were built better than many of the later model Mitchells that were produced late in the last century.
It may be interesting reel to have since there might not be any more decent quality reels with that name on it. If there are any produced, they will probably just be another Chinese reel with a Mitchell sticker on it.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:49 pm • #  

Ted,
Yep, Pure Fishing owns the Mitchellâ„¢ brand. Since the article you provided a link to was written, Pure Fishing was sold. The deal was finalized on January 7, 2019, to a company named Sycamore Partners.

http://www.sycamorepartners.com/news/article/2059

jlslavey wrote:
.......is there someone else using the name Mitchell out there?

^Yes

Kind Regards,

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply