Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: New Member
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:18 am • #  

Hi
I just dug out my fishing gear from when I was a teenager and decided to see if it was good enough to start fishing with. I will be retiring in the fall and I’m only working 3 days a week now. I was very surprised at the condition of the gear, it should be fine and I like the idea of using vintage gear. I have a 300 and a 308 with colon rods, the rod for the 308 is a 2121a in perfect shape. The 300 has no serial number and the 308 has a patent number. I have extra spools for both so it looks like I’m in good shape. I do need one part, the small screw for the bail on the 308. I see them on eBay but they are coming up with a $25 freight charge for a small part. I live in Canada, does anyone know if I can source that screw here?

Post subject: Re: New Member
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:42 am • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings GlennM,
Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum.
You may want to check out the eBay seller's store belonging to "kenyboyskidog" .
He carries a lot of used parts, and he is located in Canada.
For the stateside guys, the mailing costs are very high, but it might be better for you.
It sounds like you may be in for some fun with that gear and your location. :sFun_bananachaplin:

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:49 pm • #  

I second the nomination. He has a number of reels on eBay. I bought a 300 from him last fall to give to my fishing buddy, Graham, for Christmas. At the same time, I ordered a 300 body and a couple of other parts I needed to get a second 300 going. I am thinking of going for a 308 for Graham this Christmas.

He consolidated shipping for me and was really great to deal with. When you go to eBay.ca, type in Mitchell reel and look at the first few for sale, until you come across one of his, then go to his eBay store from there. He sells 300 reels for about $30 Canadian. He has a couple of 330’s for about $35, 308’s go for more than $40, all fair prices. I believe his reels are cleaned and lubricated before sale, but don ‘t quote me on that. The reel body that I purchased was clean.

He has lots of parts listed, if he doesn’t have what you are looking for, keep visiting and ask him for the specific item.

He has close to 10 thousand sales with a 100% rating.

I live in Nova Scotia, I know what an expensive hassle getting private sales shipped from the US can be. Most of it from the Canadian end with Customs etc.

This is a great site.

G.Glen Simpson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:27 am • #  

Thanks for the help. I did find his eBay store and sent him a message. I haven’t heard back yet. It seems I should be able to get this part just put in the mail, it’s very small. I’m anxious to get my old gear working perfectly again!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:41 am • #  

Good luck with your fishing adventures!

Glen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:25 pm • #  

I finally heard back from him. He is on vacation and doubts he has the part. I will keep my fingers crossed. If he doesn’t have it would someone here be able to help?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:35 pm • #  

Unfortunately he mostly deals in Mitchell 300s, he does have a few other models, but may save the parts for the few of them he gets in order to make a good reel to sell.

There are a few other dealers on eBay.ca

Glen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:41 pm • #  

There is another eBay dealer from Branford Ontario.

bus driver.2014

Maybe he can help you.

Glen Simpson
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.Hi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:01 pm • #  

Glenn
When you say the small screw for the bail. Do you mean the screw that hold the bail wire in the rotor, or the screw that holds the line guide? Is it in photo 1 or 2? I more than likely have either.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:23 pm • #  

Attachment:
F3C7D1A8-0C4D-4A8B-9011-1210F49FF4C5.jpeg
Hi
It’s the screw that holds the bail to the rotor.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:36 pm • #  
Global Moderator

GlennM,
I'm pretty sure I have one of those screws, but it's so much trouble getting one up North, that all possibilities for a Canadian purchase be looked into before trying to figure out how to get one to you from here unless it's last resort.

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:52 pm • #  

Hi Ted
Thanks for the reply. I will look around as much as possible. Wouldn’t it be easy to put it in an envelope and mail it?
Thanks Glenn Murch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:42 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Glenn,
Recently, I mailed one of those exact screws to someone 50 miles away and the cost was $3.66. It was in one of those little envelopes that have bubble stuff lining it. The PO guy said that first class was the cheapest that it could be mailed.
I can stop by and ask the guy if there were any tricks to mailing a screw so that a person didn't get "screwed."
From my experience in the past, the costs are ridiculous crossing the border.
What is your (zip code) up there?
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:34 pm • #  

Ted, if you do send it, I think you can mark it as a gift on the customs form.

Glen Simpson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:24 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Glenn,
I wasn't planning on charging for the screw, so the gift thing would be appropriate, but the actual postage could be a lot, even for a free part.
I sent a tiny part for a 330 to a guy up there several years ago and it had $12.00 post, and that was before the postage increases of the last couple years.
And then since I'm not a parts supplier, I not sure how the postage I'd pay would be returned.
Have you had any experience with this kind of stuff.

Ted

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:45 pm • #  

Glenn ,
If you want to PM me you address, I'll ask one of my fishing buddies that works at the post office. He should be able to tell me the best way to go.

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:48 pm • #  

A huge thank you to Don 309 for sending me the screw to get this reel back in working order! I have a spare spool for the 308 and I have a 300 as well both with matching Conolon rods I’m pretty excited to get out and do some fishing!

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply