Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Correct handle for 1974?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:54 am • #  

I realized, late, that this handle doesn't belong on this pre-300 Mitchell. Would this be the correct handle for a 1974 - S/N D306311 Mitchell 300?

Thanks,
J.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:05 pm • #  

It looks correct to me.

G. Glen Simpson
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:19 pm • #  

Hi. jr.evansii, I believe it's supposed to have a spring loaded handle on it, John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:49 pm • #  

Hi J,

I agree with Glen, yes, it would be correct for a 1974 Mitchell 300. For that reel, you're looking for a spring loaded handle with a rounded top counterweight and a smooth (vice textured) handle knob.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:21 pm • #  

Thanks for the confirmation, gentlemen.

I bought this and the 1974 reel together. This reel had one of the 1980's(?) handles with the black plastic lock nut. I knew that wasn't right. Without taking time to think about it, I just switched the handles from one to the other.

This reel is already a mess, with a replaced (and wrong) stem/foot. It's kind of a shame. This is the earliest that I have, but I'm not sure I want to put the effort and $$ into overhauling/rebuilding this one. I will probably put this handle back on the 1974 and the 1980's handle back on this one. Then I'll fish the heck out of it and shelve another 300 or two that I have been using.

Thanks again,
J.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:36 pm • #  

Hi J,

Definitely a "User" :tup . That's one of those reels you can throw in the back of a truck and head to the lake or strap to the side of a 4 wheeler and head to the river. That reel is like an "old Soldier" - lived a hard life, will never let you down and you can't hurt its feelings.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:17 pm • #  

Definitely a user I agree. Looks like the stem has been welded back on as well. Randy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:35 pm • #  

Randy,

That's what I meant when I said "This reel is already a mess, with a replaced (and wrong) stem/foot."

See more at http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=6234&sid=de1a9fb705f37ff37446c32483a1295c

The foot still seems wrong to me. It measures 5 x 9.5 mm on the stem below the foot. All of my other 300 series measure 7 x 11.5 mm (plus or minus 0.25 mm.) So, about 50% thicker and 25% wider. The stem is shorter than others, but that could have been cut off to remove damage. The foot itself measures 15.5 x 60 mm as opposed to 16.5 x 69 mm on my others. Also, there are ridges near the front and back of the foot that I haven't seen before on a Mitchell.

J.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply