Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:11 pm • #  

I've had my Mitchell 300 and 300A since I was a young teen which was a long time ago. The 300 has a metal deep spool with a plastic base, the 81002 drag spring which fits into the very shallow recess of the spool, and a star drag adjuster knob with its flat underside. Is this configuration "period correct?" I caught a 38# salmon years ago on mono, but is there a problem using braid or fluorocarbon or copolymer on this spool? What might break?

Also, my 300A has a Carbon Graphite Spool and the same 81002 drag spring. The underside of its triangular drag adjuster knob has a flat circular area that matches the diameter of the drag spring, but the interior of the knob's underside has 3 pockets (cutouts). What is the function of these cutouts? Does this setup appear to be "period correct?"

I want to get back into bass, walleye, and salmon fishing on the Columbia River, and want to get an extra spool for each reel and would like the setup of all 4 spools to be a factory or period correct setup to ensure reliability and proper function. What guidance can you give me, thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:44 am • #  

tc@pacrimcat.com,
Welcome to the MRM. :sSig_welcome4:
Sorry but I am unable to see your photographs from your previous post. I suggest you post your photos right here by making them attachments. If you look at the bottom of the page where you typed in your post you will see where you can do this under Upload Attachment.

You asked a lot of questions in your post and it is really difficult to answer them all at once. You started by titling your post as "Is my 300 and 300A "period correct?", so lets start there. :-)

We are gonna need some up-front information from you, in addition to the photographs, before we can help you figure out which versions your reels are. Providing us with the serial numbers on each reel will be a great start.

Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:57 pm • #  

410 bare aluminium spool if you want bombproof spools
or get hold of a couple of the skirted models

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply