Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Must have versions
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:11 pm • #  

OK now without spending a considerable amount of money
Which reels would any of you consider to be must have versions that will see muddy banks rather than a show room
Picture if it's worked are the ones I own and use there are a couple of 320's not shown

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Must have versions
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:19 pm • #  

What I'm thinking of getting next
Another 410a as the one there is in terrible shape
330 otomatic
Two 300s
And two 300 pro

All to be used I'm considering the skirted spool s model and 300 to use potentially for pike (northern) with 0.36mm power Pro.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:24 pm • #  

Hi John, I fish with some of my Mitchell's exclusively ,those being my older 308 for trout ,my 300 & 400 roller bearing for just about everything else in freshwater that I go fishing for. If I use anything but a spinning reel it would be one of my Abu Garcia winches of which I have a few and all but one are left hand wind. I never could see the reasoning behind casting right handed( which I am ) then switching the rod back to your left to reel your lure in, or a fish.Regards, John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:15 am • #  

Good Lord, I only own 5 mitchells, not including a 300 parts reel.

You are looking for more?

G. Glen Simpson

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:05 pm • #  

John,
Honestly, I would have to say that if you can't catch fish with all of those rods and reels, then adding more is, in all likelihood, not going to help you.

Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:20 am • #  

Hi Great Laker, I don't think John is saying he can't catch fish with the outfits he has, I think he just is trying to justify a reason to buy a few more reels because being a Mitchell Man you can never have to many LOL. Regards, John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:20 pm • #  

Pretty much the latter reason
I fish for lots of different species from the bank and boat those pictured are just the set ups with Mitchell's on
Just popping over to my pike set ups makes that collection look tiny..
Bait rods there's probably around 15 to cover me from small waters up to the big glacial lakes nearby then a few pike boat set ups. Then lure set ups covering me from 0.5 gram up to pound bulldawgs.
Then uk match type set ups float feeder rods couple of long poles...

Get the idea

I like using the 300 style they work they don't break like a lot of my shimano daiwa quantum stuff has over the years
About the only reel I trust as much as them are penn slammers (on some of the pike rods)
I've just bought a couple of cheap s models with the skirted spool to try with braid as they look to have a reasonable line roller

I'm getting rid of a few reels via ebay that Ivee not used in a while or bought to do up and never did

Have a look for shimano Moocher 200gt
Seller anarchy996
That's one of around 20 reels I've got on there quite a few are cheap things I bought before I was working but there are a couple of nice ones like the old Shakespeare sigma and whisker titan sigma

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:10 pm • #  

One great pleasure I had was giving my fishing partner a Mitchell 300.

Graham emigrated from Britain about 10 years ago. I have literally taught him to fish. I got the 300 from eBay and mounted it on a 6 1/2 foot medium action rod. We went fishing in the Musquodoboit River last weekend. Graham got a nice spot, elevated on a rock and was making casts 3/4 of the way across the river, probably 80 feet.

He admits that the 300 is better than anything else he has used.

Glen

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:05 am • #  

I've always been a "300" man here in England since 1966 when I had my first one (and still use!). However, during the last couple of years I've acquired a few.......440's which I think are superb. Effortless casting and retrieve and a "dab" bail which was years ahead of its time. I did use a Shimano for a couple of years, but it lacked 'soul". 440's all the way for me from now on.

Chris, Bristol UK.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply