Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Reel spools
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:08 pm • #  

So i was wondering about the evolution of reel spools over the years. What they were made of, what the drag knobs looked like etc. There seems to be many different characteristics in just the dozen or so that i have.

Post subject: Re: Reel spools
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:30 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Mitchell1965,
I assume you are asking about Mitchell 300 spools.Sorry for the delay in answering. This question has been asked before about the Mitchell 300 spools and have searched the Museum for possible pictures of the 300 spool evolution, and I haven't been able to locate one.
It would take some time to gather this information for just one model reel, and it may be covered in Wallace's book, but you may get some idea of by looking at all the pictures of the different 300 versions in the Gallery. They aren't covered in detail, but that may be all that I can give you. :sFun_bricks:

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:56 pm • #  

Mitchell1965,
Glad to see your interest in Mitchell reels expand. Spools are just one topic that needs to be explored more fully. There are still many questions that need to be answered and many new discoveries yet to be made. Hope will join us :clap
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:52 pm • #  

Thank you Ted and Bill,

I was referring to the 300. So much information to take in on this site.
I have researched the reel gallery but can only get so much info from it. Looks to me like the drag knobs had 4 webs until about the late 50's then it changed to 3. Some of my spools have line keepers and some dont. Im assuming spools were made of aluminum then changed to plastic but not sure when. So much to learn so little time. :-)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:23 pm • #  

Great subject guys,
Bad enough I really never paid attention to the line keepers and used a rubber band, felt the difference between aluminum and plastic spools, and like the 3 wing vs 4 wing spools. Let alone thought of the history behind them.

I will now throw in the cartridge spool, which I just learned about today and have 1. Anyone have info on these? Thought I had a knock off until I searched the site. :blush

Wayne

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:59 am • #  

Which cartridge spool do you have? Is it one of the concept styles?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:15 am • #  

Hi John,

I have no idea what a concept style spool is? I only found out that cartridge spools existed by seeing and searching the droitier on the spool. Found a post on strange spool for a 330 and an Arca link. Attached is an image the original poster posted. My spool has a 022 on it.

Wayne

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:03 pm • #  

Attachment:
sketch-1558306816496.png
I've asked a question today about a similar spoo on face book today couldn't get into here
Diameter and fitting are the same as the 300 spool just looks to be for a shorter stroke than the 300

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:23 pm • #  

John,

With the red button yours reminds of the spool for my 524. That reel has a shorter spool and will not work on a 300. Just a thought. I am sure someone with more knowledge will give you the answer.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply