Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:48 am • #  

Attachment:
Spool_02_749.jpg
Hello:
I know that refinishing is kind of a semi-taboo topic here, but my focus is mainly on the 302's, which really suffer from the combination of saltwater and neglect. The paint on 300s, exposed only to freshwater, seems to hold up well even after decades of use and exposure.

After acquiring and tinkering with six 302's over the past few months, most have very little if any corrosion internally. However, the external paint does show the effect of saltwater corrosion, especially on the spools and reel feet. I wanted to share my recent experiment in re-finishing and get experienced feedback from others who have also tried.

I've attached pictures of my first attempt. I decided to try first on a spool that had about half of the total paint missing. If this holds up, I plan to try again with the reel frame.

The underlying aluminum alloy was still in very good condition with no visible pitting. I mainly focused on the inside of the spool for functional reasons and because that is where most of the finish was missing.

I first tried a chemical stripper, and this had absolutely no effect on the remaining paint. I then tried a wire wheel on a grinder, and this quickly removed all the remaining paint down to shiny bare metal.

I then used two coats of Rustoleum Aluminum Etching Primer, which is light grey. After letting that dry for twenty-four hours between coats, I applied two coats of Rustoleum gloss black.

I think the finish looks very nice. I plan to use this spool, and will report back when I have some results from use to report.

Regards.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:09 pm • #  

garthg,
Very interesting. I am curious to know what type of wire wheel worked well for you?

Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:44 am • #  

I am wondering if the Primer that you have used is suitable for Aluminum Alloy. It may be formulated for Steel. Mind you, if the paint sticks then it should be OK. LOL

I have always used Zinc Chromate Primer for Aluminum.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:34 am • #  

Bonaventure wrote:
I am wondering if the Primer that you have used is suitable for Aluminum Alloy. It may be formulated for Steel. Mind you, if the paint sticks then it should be OK. LOL

I have always used Zinc Chromate Primer for Aluminum.

It's specifically called "Professional Aluminum Primer."

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catal ... mer-spray/

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:36 am • #  

GreatLaker wrote:
garthg,
Very interesting. I am curious to know what type of wire wheel worked well for you?

Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

I bought a Sears Craftsman Professional 8" grinder that came with a wire wheel installed. The wheel looks like brass, but the wires are in fact steel. I think it's just brass-plated wire for looks and corrosion protection.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:58 pm • #  

Out of the box, well bottle have you tried dettol to remove the paint
I see it crop up quite a bit when people talk about stripping paint from reels
I've yet to use it though

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:11 pm • #  

John woods wrote:
Out of the box, well bottle have you tried dettol to remove the paint
I see it crop up quite a bit when people talk about stripping paint from reels
I've yet to use it though

I used what was described as a "Professional" chemical stripper which I believe contains methylene chloride.

However, the wire wheel worked so quickly I wouldn't try bothering with chemical stripper again.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply