Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:17 am • #  

We mentioned these some time last year and I posted an image of the ones I have thanks to kind UK collectors who knew I was interested in them.

I spotted this on eBay last week.....that I thought might be another....turned out it was

This was the first time I have seen one for sale or auction....front right in the image

Attachment:
Capture spools (Custom).JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:36 pm • #  

Well Done Knobby! :tup
Thank you for posting the photo. Could you possibly take it apart and show us photographs of the special drag spring, the bottom of the spool where the click spring is located, and the spindle where the gears are and where the axle goes into the spindle's tube? :clap
:sHa_okay: :eek :sHa_rollingsmilie:
I have been searching everywhere, but as of yet, have been unable to spot one. Might know your keen eye would win the prize! Congratulations!!

Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:26 am • #  

Hi Bill, I do have an image of the spring....it's made from some sort of cuprous alloy....unless it's actually pure copper??

I'll get on with the other images you asked for today.

Attachment:
Original 6 (Custom).JPG

And here they are:

Attachment:
006 (Custom).JPG

Attachment:
007 (Custom).JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:59 am • #  

Attachment:
008 (Custom).JPG

This latest aquisition has a white fibrous washer in the clutch. One other has a later white nylon washer and the other three all have a small red fibrous washer.

Maybe these white washers reflect another period in time....maybe they are wrong...on balance it seems they had a red washer just like other clutches of the time.

The clutch adjusters are all plastic, ...so are the spool backs and the spools themselves. only the spool rear section is metal and seems to be identical to others of the time, just like the backs.

It seems it's just the spools themselves and the springs that are different.

Just when they were produced it tricky. In Schematics the first sheet to show them is the second one claimed to be 1959...part number 53UL...with the lighter spring being part 2UL.

But is that sheet really from 1959? It, and the other for '59, both show the 'torpedo' handle as a spare. I didn't think that came out until 1953 for the first version 400?

Unless, of course, the handle was available earlier...only as a spare?

Any thoughts mates?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:26 pm • #  

Attached mint spool came with MIB reel no.2901615 which I date to 1961.

The spool has no washer. The regular small spool with this reel also has no washer. I have opened 2 other spools of this period; one has no washer and the other a brass washer.

The spring in the Ultra Small looks like copper.

JF.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:34 pm • #  

Have checked several other MIB reels with this style of spool. Large spools have washers : small spools don't.

This accords with the 1959,1961 and 1963 schematics which state that the washer is only for large spools.

JF.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:04 pm • #  

bailarm wrote:
Just when they were produced it tricky. In Schematics the first sheet to show them is the second one claimed to be 1959...part number 53UL...with the lighter spring being part 2UL.

But is that sheet really from 1959? It, and the other for '59, both show the 'torpedo' handle as a spare. I didn't think that came out until 1953 for the first version 400?

Knobby,
I agree the first schematic I have seen with the USC spools was the one labeled 1959 in the MRM.

http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index ... schematics

It's interesting to see in this schematic that the assembly listed as 53UL (Not 53US), does not show all of the parts included with the assembly. If you look up at the top you will see parts: 38B(Click Spring), 36(Spool Line Clip), and 6(Spindle) which are the parts not indicated. In addition, and luckily for us, this schematic included a parts list below the drawing. If you look at part number 53UL in the PL, you will see: "53UL Complete spool ultra-small - with container Code #9103.....4.00". This tells us that you could buy the spool with a container and this also applies to the other size spools as well. So did the box, which has been shown elsewhere on the MRM, come with #9103 or did you just get the spool/container? If not, then what came in the boxes; a spool, a container, or both?
:sFun_bricks:

I don't know about you, but the name change from UL(ultra-light) to US (ultra-small) was confusing to me. You can see here, where the confusion started. :sCh_taz:

One final observation regarding the 1959 schematic was the fact that; 3UL Spool shell - ultra-small capacity, was not even listed on the parts list!!! Was this because Mitchell did not have enough of them to sell individually or did they just forget to add it, or was there some other reason it was not included, intentionally or not??? :sSa_sadeyes:
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:26 pm • #  

Jeremy,
Thanks for posting the photos. I wonder if your spindle is different than Knobbies with its raised edge around the base. Also, note the spool release buttons on Knobbies spools. The one on the USC spool and the one next to it appears to be quite large and flat. First time I've noticed this. :sFun_eyescan:
Kind Regards,
Bill

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:01 am • #  

Dear Bill,

I agree that the release button looks smaller on my spool.

The 3 screws in the base also have different heads.

Hope this helps.

JF.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply