Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 300 and 300c cleaning
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:57 am • #  

Are the 300 and 300c the same as far as disassembing the gears and putting new grease in? Done several 300's but not 300c

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:47 pm • #  

jlslavey wrote:
Are the 300 and 300c the same as far as disassembing the gears and putting new grease in? Done several 300's but not 300c

If they are different is there a video somewhere that might show step by step instructions?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:57 pm • #  

jlslavey,
The Mitchell 300 and 300C are not the same. :sCh_taz: The 300C has caged bearings that support the handle and another caged bearing assembly that supports the rotating head. The bearings are like needle bearings and are captured in a 2 piece plastic cage. Rarely, the tiny needle bearings can fall out of the cage or the two piece cage can come apart, while working on them. The bearing assemblies are not identical. The part number for the handle bearing, called the Cover Plate Bearing, is 81107. The PN for the rotating head bearing, called Rotating Head Bearing ;) is numbered 81111.

Another tip, watch out for shims and washers and their placement when taking apart the 300C. When you take the handle off, note the Dust Cap (#81110), and the tiny washer, called the Handle Spacer (#81277) and their placement.
When removing the baffle plate watch out for the washer and shims under it. First goes the baffle plate, then the Baffle Plate Washer (#81011) then the Shim(s)(#81112 per 3 pack) to Adjust Head and Baffle Plate . There normally are from 1-3 shims depending on the baffle plate adjustment needed.

Just to make things more complicated, the 300C came in 4 versions and the 4 versions are not all exactly the same. :sFun_bricks: The first 300C version had a bail just like the 300 with a friction line guide. The other versions us the multiple piece bail with rolling line guides. Handles also changed with different versions. :sHa_rollingsmilie:

Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:33 pm • #  

Bill already gave you a great description but I thought I would
add a couple more little things.
As Bill mentioned, the two bearing assemblies are two piece.
It is the small end piece of the cage that snaps into place and holds the bearings in place. When I handle them, I always try and hold it between my thumb and forefinger to help keep the end piece from coming off, although most of them stay together fine.
If for some reason you should have one come apart and a few bearings come out, if you can find them you can reinsert them into the cage and put the end piece back on.
If the end cap just doesn't want to stay on, you can very carefully clean the tab on the cap that snaps into place, and the notch on the cage itself, and put a very small drop of super glue, or other similar fast drying glue, where the pieces fit together. As long as the bearings are still in good shape, this will allow you to keep using the bearing, as opposed to buying a new one...

In regards to the handle spacer that goes behind the handle dust shield, don't be alarmed if you can't find one. It's not uncommon to get a reel that is missing that particular washer. They can still be found if you needed to buy one though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:53 pm • #  

Mike 408 wrote:
Bill already gave you a great description but I thought I would
add a couple more little things.
As Bill mentioned, the two bearing assemblies are two piece.
It is the small end piece of the cage that snaps into place and holds the bearings in place. When I handle them, I always try and hold it between my thumb and forefinger to help keep the end piece from coming off, although most of them stay together fine.
If for some reason you should have one come apart and a few bearings come out, if you can find them you can reinsert them into the cage and put the end piece back on.
If the end cap just doesn't want to stay on, you can very carefully clean the tab on the cap that snaps into place, and the notch on the cage itself, and put a very small drop of super glue, or other similar fast drying glue, where the pieces fit together. As long as the bearings are still in good shape, this will allow you to keep using the bearing, as opposed to buying a new one...

In regards to the handle spacer that goes behind the handle dust shield, don't be alarmed if you can't find one. It's not uncommon to get a reel that is missing that particular washer. They can still be found if you needed to buy one though.

Thanks guys, I just bought this brand new never been used reel in the box and all papers. Only problem I had was it would not crank, I've read that sometimes the grease gets dried out, so I took it apart and not the problem. The problem is when I install the dust cover on the handle it will not turn, when I leave if off does fine. You mentioned above a spacer but there was none between the cover and the reel, Im guessing this was left out maybe, because it is brand new and never used, any idea on how to fix this, I want to keep it all original and won't be using it but I want it functional.

Attachment:
IMG_20190407_163531039.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:18 pm • #  

Sorry I pasted into your post not sure what happened.

Thanks guys, I just bought this brand new never been used reel in the box and all papers. Only problem I had was it would not crank, I've read that sometimes the grease gets dried out, so I took it apart and not the problem. The problem is when I install the dust cover on the handle it will not turn, when I leave if off does fine. You mentioned above a spacer but there was none between the cover and the reel, Im guessing this was left out maybe, because it is brand new and never used, any idea on how to fix this, I want to keep it all original and won't be using it but I want it functional.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:47 pm • #  

It looks like a very nice reel. As you figured out, the problem is that your spacer washer isn't there, so when you tighten the handle down, the spacer goes up against the housing making it hard to turn.
It's an easy fix. You can still find the handle spacer washers on ebay fairly cheap. Or, if you have another reel that still has a spacer washer, you can take it with you and head down to the hardware store, and if they have a good selection of fasteners, match one up that is the same size as the original.

One of our local hardware stores has an incredible amount of fasteners of all kinds, not all of them do. A couple years back I needed a spacer for a 408 that I bought, and I was bored, so I took an original with me and headed down to the store and began my search. After probably a half hour of going through different bins, I finally found one. It cost me all of 18 cents a piece so I picked up 12 of them just to have.

If for some reason you can't find one on ebay let me know and I will look and see if I still have some of them which I'm almost certain I do, and I will send you one... Sometimes the only spacers that are available on ebay are in a bag with quite a few of them, and not everyone likes to have a lot of spare parts laying around :sHa_biggrin:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:11 pm • #  

Thanks for all the input, went on eBay and ordered one for 3.95. I think I got a very good deal on it so didn't mind the extra 4 bucks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:17 am • #  

You should be all set after you put the washer on.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply