Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:41 pm • #  

Mates,
As "The Mitchell" evolved from the half bail or "Pick-up" Model (As Garcia/Mitchell describes it in Owners Manuals (O.M.) and other literature) to the full bail or "Bail Pick-up" Model, I have learned from Wallace's book and the MRM, that many other changes were occurring. One of the other changes that occurred was the handles' transformation from a metal knob to a plastic twist knob.

First, let me point out that there are several parts that go together to make up a handle. Also, I noticed these parts, their names, and their part numbers, changed or evolved along with The Mitchell reel.

Of course, you already know there was a part called the knob, and there is a screw inside the knob (Which is not listed in the early 3rd & 4th version O.M. parts' lists), and at the handle's end, opposite the knob, is the part called the counterweight. (I learned the counterweight term from Wallace's book and is the term he frequently used to describe it.) But, have you ever heard of the hub? I first learned about the hub in the following post which dealt with the 808 conversion kit. This post has a wealth of knowledge and runs for two pages. Take a look at it in the link below and when you come to the photo of the instructions that went with the 808 kit read them carefully.

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=5279

Hope you enjoyed that post as much as I have.

Next, to bring everyone up to speed regarding O.M. see the following MRM post by Wallace, where he lays them all out for us and gives us the version for each.

viewtopic.php?f=77&t=166

Lets look at what the parts lists and schematics say in these O.M. regarding handles, since I have copies myself.

the one Wallace calls:
"3rd Version by Garcia ~ no price and different picture on cover:" says #16 Handle $1.00 and shows a drawing of a handle with a metal knob and a short or narrow hub only on page 22-23. (Please note that the drawings in owners manuals do not do a very good job of showing hub differences.) This O.M. gives the 53 Park Place address on the back.

The O.M. Wallace calls:
"One of three Garcia 3rd Version Owner's Manuals with 53 Park Place Address:"
Beginning on page 14 there is a section titled: "MITCHELL REEL-COMPLETE PARTS LIST". This section shows a schematic of portions of the full bail and 1/2 bail models and covers both pages 14 and 15. The next two pages (16 and 17) show additional schematic drawings including a drawing of a handle with a metal knob which is labeled #16 on page 17. There is also a parts list on page 16 that lists: #16 Handle, #16L Handle-left hand reel, #16B Handle-bail pick-up model, #16LB Handle-left hand reel, bail pick-up model. The list goes on naming other parts. Then, if you move to page 18 in the O.M. you find another section titled: "MITCHELL REEL-COMPLETE PARTS LIST". This is primarily a price list and once again you find listings for numbers: 16, 16L, 16B, and 16LB. They all sold for $1.00!

This O.M schematic looks a lot like the 1952 schematic in the MRM and can be viewed at the link below.

http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index ... schematics

NOTE THE SHORT PARAGRAPH AT THE TOP OF THE SCHEMATIC WHICH READS: "BAIL PICK-UP MODEL. The parts shown at the right are from the bail pick-up model. They will also convert the regular model to bail pick-up. Note that a different handle (part 16B or 16LB) is also needed".

Here is the first mention of two different handles, one with a metal knob #16 and one numbered #16B for the bail pick-up model.(Plastic knob) I quickly remembered that the bail pick-up model is the full bail model.

Yes, it would have been easier to just post a photos of the schematics but this is the only O.M. I have found that says copyright 1953 at the beginning of the manual, so I chose not to.
More to come,
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:39 pm • #  

Sorry Mates,
The first link in the above post does not show the photos. I will try and fix as best as I can
Kind Regards,

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:42 pm • #  

photo 1

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:44 pm • #  

Next group

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:45 pm • #  

group 3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:59 pm • #  

Mates,
My apologies to bailarm and cshannon772 for showing their photos outside their original post which I tried to refer to in the above post link which does not work for some reason. :sFun_bricks:

Kind Regards,

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:58 pm • #  

Hello Bill,

Great post. Thank you for the information. Do you have an idea of what serial numbers would have been included in this transition?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:33 am • #  

Dear Bill,

A very interesting and well researched topic. Well done.

Garcia also described the half-bail as a "finger pick-up" and it is interesting to see how these descriptions came about.

In France the half-bail is described as "pick-up index" or "demi anse". Index refers to finger i.e index finger. Demi means half. It is, therefore, easy to see how finger pick-up and half-bail came into common usage. This was extended to parts, when the pick-up lever of the half-bail became the finger flip.

The French describe the full-bail as anse de panier : basket handle.

We like to be different in the UK, and in the 1950's the half-bail was known as the claw and the full-bail as the hoop. Some of us still use those terms.

In my experience "B" and "C" half-bails were released with both metal and plastic knobs, as discussed elsewhere. As Bill points out the handle shaft of a full-bail has a longer hub. What is interesting is that the half-bails I have seen with apparently correct plastic knobs have the longer hub. This suggests that all of the handles with plastic knobs were set up the same way irrespective of whether they were to be fitted to half or full-bail reels.

This is helpful to the collector. As Ted pointed out, when one sees a half-bail with plastic knob it is always possible that the owner switched the knob from metal to plastic. Perhaps the hub can help determine whether the handle is original to the reel. If the reel has a short hub and plastic knob it is likely that the knob is a replacement. However a long hub and plastic knob indicate correctness.

Many thanks Bill

JF.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply