Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Mitchell 308 pro
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:39 pm • #  

I have a chance to pick up a Mitchell 308 pro with the original bag. Serial number is S204. I believe it to be 1987 vintage. Not sure about the serial number though, that's what the seller gave me, no pics unfortunately. Any thoughts?, thanks.

Post subject: Re: Mitchell 308 pro
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:25 pm • #  

The serial numbered (like this one) 308 pro reels are the more collectible....New in box is a $250...no box with bag in good condition is a $75 reel...either way, they are a very nice fishing reel....a pimped out 408, in a lot of ways...

Sandman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:13 am • #  

Hi rubicongambler,

I would recommend you to visit the following link :

http://www.salmonidesevenements.fr/308%20pro.html

I haven't came across a more complete description of the 308PRO.
The author is Hervé Charpenel. He is a 308PRO maniac.
It is in French, but well illustrated.
He has spent a lot of time studying this model and have found five different versions of it.
Yours is definitely a fist type...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:20 pm • #  

Thanks for the info, I checked out the site, very French but very informative.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:33 pm • #  

I just went to the site you recommended and I think my eyes are deceiving me, there is picture on the site of a 308 pro with the same serial number as the one a may buy. Still don't have a picture of the one I may buy. Its about 100 miles from me but I think I will make the drive just to verify what the seller says it is. Again serial number is S204 and if you go to the site you will see a picture of the 308 pro with that serial number.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:34 pm • #  

Rubicon, I have seen that serial number before too...it must be more like a batch or time period number like day or month...I believe, though, the letter may indicate year...either way, the serial numbered reels are the first year or two and therefore the most collectible...through the Planamatic version is also very collectible..

Sandman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:58 am • #  

Nice thread. I checked my 308 PRO but no serial number. It has FRANCE on the foot. Came with the France flag on the box. No scratches on screws or reel itself. All looks original. Same as the one pictured in Dennis Roberts guide page 155. Sorry I couldn't help further.
Kim :sCo_hmmthink:

See if the one you're interested in has Planamatic System on side plate. Values are a little higher.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:15 pm • #  

Thanks to all that replied, after My last post I too thought about the serial number and came to the same conclusion that it was probably a batch number but wasn't sure. Still haven't decided on buying it, he wants $100 for it and he is firm. Leaning on waiting another couple weeks to see if it sells.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:52 pm • #  

Hi rubiconrambler,
Although the serial numbers of the reels of the mid 80's aren't unique anymore and less detailed, they remains serials and makes the reel you are looking for quite interesting.

If you refer to Luc de Meets "Les Moulinets Mitchell" (I guess Hervé Charpenel has referred to this book in his explanations.
1) The letter stands for the year of production.
2) The two last digits for the month of production.
3) And the first number for the line of production.

He is quite affirmative about the 1) and 2), and more prudent with te 3), but it sounds coherent.

You'll definitely find the serial number of your 308PRO on some others, and maybe on 408 and 308 produced at the same time.

Different serials recorded on 308PRO :
R110, S203, S204.
Different serials recorded on 80's 408 :
R203, R204, R209, R212, S201.
Different serials recorded on 80's 308 :
P110, P111, R111, R209.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:14 pm • #  

kawakami, thank you for the explanation on the serial numbers...I thought I heard there was date code in there somewhere...too bad they dropped the previous dating convention that identified year and day of production...though month is Ok too, although I've yet to see other months than the ones you list...it's really too bad they stopped serial numbers all together after about two years of producing the Pro...I have Pro with the box that says Made in France, but no serial number...

Sandman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:22 pm • #  

Hi Sandman.

I haven't recorded that much of these reels (only 408 as you know and a few others).
To see other months it would be interesting to focus on the 308.
But It has to be taken carefully as you do...

Dealing with the PRO,
The Mitchell records mentioned 2302 units produced in the year of 1986...
This should probably refer to the Mitchell 308PRO that have a serial (and only them).

But more were build after that without being recorded. That is impossible to know how many of the other type of 308 PRO were produced.
Nevertheless, 308PRO has still been made in France for a while (as your version I guess).
It doesn't have any serial, but is still engraved "FRANCE" on its FOOT, and the inscription on the box confirms it.

The two other types (stamped "MITCHELL TAIWAN" and then "MITCHELL") where probably produced in Taiwan.

The last type, the planamatic version is quite curious.
The housing mold and some other specific parts are similar to the ones of the Taiwanese version.
However, Two inscriptions on the box claim that it's been made in France :
"Made in France, Distributed by Mitchell Japan Scubapro ASIA limited"
"MITCHELL fabrique en France"
It is difficult to know what is the truth behind these indications.
But the Japanese market was probably demanding an original French product.
Have the parts parts been produced in France? Has they been assembled in France?
The end of the story is confusing...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:37 pm • #  

Thanks kawakami, I agree with all your thoughts and believe while there is no concrete evidence of the Planamatic version origin, the truth is somewhere in the assumptions you outlined.

Sandman

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply