Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:19 am • #  

Every time I take apart a 300 / 400 series reel and find a plastic a/r dog, I ask myself, why did they do it ?
My guess is like many things, it was done because it was cheaper, but maybe I'm wrong. I know that in the grand scheme of things it isn't a huge deal, but the plastic dogs drive me nuts.
It's not because they are poorly designed or don't work right because they do, and in all honesty the springs on the plastic dogs seem to be a more durable design and are easily replaced, but the Mitchell 300's I grew up with as a kid all had aluminum dogs.
In my mind it was a very distinct part of the reels, and they also had a distinct sound. The plastic dogs just aren't the same.

I'm curious what others think about them. Am I the only one
that prefers the old style ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:03 am • #  
Global Moderator

Mike 408,
I think that you have answered your own question. Cost, but there's a chance that the plastics being a bit quieter could have had some influence.

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:01 pm • #  

I hadn't really thought about quieter being a reason Ted,
but how could anyone not like the sound of a properly working
300 and others from the same family with the aluminum a/r ? LOL

After I posted the question I did a search here for posts about the
different a/r's, which is kinda backwards because I usually search first :blush and did find other mentions about them being quieter,
and other mention of damaged reels because of the metal as well
as some being bent on the end, which I have found a couple times
on different reels that I have purchased over the years.

Granted, the plastic dogs do seem more durable, and they do have more contact area against the drive gear, and personally I think the spring on the plastic version is a more durable design, but
I guess what it really comes down to is, I don't like change... Well, that and I like the sound of the aluminum :sHa_biggrin:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:47 pm • #  

Mike 408 and Ted,
I too was not thrilled when Mitchell switched from the metal to the plastic A/R dog.
The sound of my old Mitchell 300 was very soothing, pleasant sounding, and informative to me. By listening to the sound I could tell how fast my lure was moving (retrieve speed) and it helped me determine what action to give the lure.
Later on, while fishing with another guy early in the morning, on a dead quiet lake, the guy turned to me and said "Your noisy reel is driving me crazy!!" :sSa_sadeyes: I turned off the anti-reverse but ended up setting the hook with it off and losing a nice fish. :sAng_banghead2:
I've been fishing alone a lot ever since. ;)
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:54 pm • #  

A heavy grease on and around the dog will all but silence them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:18 am • #  

GreatLaker wrote:
Mike 408 and Ted,
I too was not thrilled when Mitchell switched from the metal to the plastic A/R dog.
The sound of my old Mitchell 300 was very soothing, pleasant sounding, and informative to me. By listening to the sound I could tell how fast my lure was moving (retrieve speed) and it helped me determine what action to give the lure.
Later on, while fishing with another guy early in the morning, on a dead quiet lake, the guy turned to me and said "Your noisy reel is driving me crazy!!" :sSa_sadeyes: I turned off the anti-reverse but ended up setting the hook with it off and losing a nice fish. :sAng_banghead2:
I've been fishing alone a lot ever since. ;)
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

It made me feel much better reading your post Bill. I now know
I am not the only person who feels this way, and as I read it, I understood exactly what you were describing.
I don't see anything wrong with fishing alone sometimes. It's very peaceful and really gives a person time to appreciate where they are and what they are doing...

Mike

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply