Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:22 pm • #  

Good afternoon mates, I found this fascinating museum site today and felt an urge to learn more about the history of Mitchell reels.

I am also a member of our local village church committee, in that capacity I received a donation in the form of a Mitchell 409 reel. The reel is a dark blue left handed (operated with right hand) design, in marvelous condition complete with spare spool inside a black container with Mitchell written on the lid. Serial number of the reel is 351139 (made in France). On the non-handle side of body there is a red 'Special' label next to a red anodised slotted screw.

I am interested advertising the reel for sale in an effort to raise funds for the church and hence would like to be accurate when writing a sales description. What puzzles me is that on the handle side there is no red 'Garcia' label next to the engraved Mitchell 409 marking, can anyone clarify is this correct ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:54 pm • #  

Keen Angler, :sSig_welcome4:

You received a nice donation...if condition is good and in original box, you have quite a nice set with good value...

This reel did not come with a Garcia sticker. This is because is was distributed for sale in Europe only (Garcia reels were primarily dist in North America). The Special sticker tells us this.

Photos would tell us whether it was a very early or later release...did it come is a box? If so, is it paper or plastic...this will tell us he age...

Sandman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:07 pm • #  

Attachment:
PICT0169.JPG
Attachment:
PICT0181.JPG
Photos attached (I hope). A search for the box is underway at the family home.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:07 pm • #  

This is an early 409. Late 1964 or early 1965 production...2nd production year, and one of the first 2000 of these models produced...the second earliest I've recorded, and I've recorded a few...looks to be in good condition. With a proper "clean up" it would be a very collectible reel, especially if you have the box.

Thanks for showing and let us know if you have any other questions.

Private message me if you'd like an offer.

Sandman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:40 am • #  

CDSAND7640, thank you so much for for your informative feedback which has enlightened me immensely.

I have been trying to figure out private messaging on this site, where I think that must be what the gold PM button is for (?).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:37 am • #  

Yes, that is the correct button. Should work as long as you are logged in. I sent you a PM. Look for the new message button top left of page. You can just reply now.

Sandman

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply