Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:13 pm • #  

I have a Mitchell 3-0-8 with sn 049159 and another 3-0-8 with sn 483287. what year were these manufactured? Thanks ahead of time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:03 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings rubiconrambler,
:sSig_welcome4: to the Mitchell reel Museum.
Here's a chart one of the mates created that may help."IF" i have looked at the chart correctly, your earliest reel would have been produced in 1960, and the later in 1966. I have been known to misread this chart. :sCh_taz: :sCh_taz:

Regards,
Ted Lanham

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:50 pm • #  

Ted, you got it correct!!! :sHa_clap2:

rubicon, the 049159 is considered a first version. Photos would be great...we could tell you even more...does it have Garcia engraved on the front plate?

Sandman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:23 am • #  
Global Moderator

Mates,
Practice makes perfect! :sFun_oldguy:

Ted

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:44 pm • #  

Thanks for the feedback, Garcia is engraved on the front plate. Reel is in excellent shape except for the bail which is very corroded, not sure why the bail is corroded and the rest of the reel is pristine. I tried adding photos to the bucket but they did not take. I am looking for a bail and spring for it currently.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:30 pm • #  

Not too uncommon for the chrome to degraded and the paint in good shape...just means the reel was exposed to moisture for long periods, but not submerged in water for long periods...good condition bails of this era come up once in awhile, but not often...I usually have to buy a whole reel to get a good one of these bails...to leave it period correct, you will need to remove the line guide and line guide screw and reinstall on the replacement bail...

Does it have FRONCE cast into the front plate?

Sandman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:15 pm • #  

Sandman,
Yes it does have Fronce on the front plate. Still working on photos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:45 pm • #  

It’s considered by most collectors to be a first version, second release...fairly sought after depending on condition..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:21 pm • #  

Attachment:
308 #3.jpg
Attachment:
308 #1.jpg

I tried uploading couple pictures of my 308, not sure it worked.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:37 pm • #  

limited to 3 photos per reply...can see the rotating head or bail well, but the bail trip lever looks like it may not be original...photos of the head and bail would reveal more...the body is definitely a first version, second release...

Sandman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:55 pm • #  

Attachment:
308 #6.jpg
Attachment:
308 #7.jpg
Here are a couple more pictures

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:22 pm • #  

Thanks, I should of been specific...the underside of the head has lettering that tells us if the head is original to the body and the trip lever, if original, would not have a notch in the side...that one is a little hard to describe...it looks like yours has the notch, but can't quite tell for sure...I can show some photos of what I mean if needed...did it not come with a bail?

Sandman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:29 pm • #  

Another question...can you take the spool off and show a photo of the inside of the head? Looking for the original axle nut...they were spanner type vs hex type...

Sandman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:56 pm • #  

Attachment:
308 #12.jpg
Attachment:
308 #11.jpg
Attachment:
308 #10.jpg
Here are 3 more pics. The trip lever has a notch. My 308 from 1966 does not have a trip lever that is notched.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:06 pm • #  

The rotating head and spanner axle nut are period correct, so not much question that they are original to the reel...the spanner nut looks clean, so likely nobody has attempted to remove it...

Since the trip levers are incorrect for both reels, its likely someone switched the trip levers and maybe the bails too...not sure if someone owned both these reels...either way, you'll want to swap them so they are correct to each reel (if it matters to you)...

What do the two reels bail wires look like?

Sandman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:27 pm • #  

Attachment:
308 #3.jpg
Attachment:
308 #2.jpg
Attachment:
308 #1.jpg
I got the reels from 2 different sources. I just finished swapping the parts to the older 308 and I now believe it to be period correct now. Attached are 3 photos of the completed older 308.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:42 pm • #  

Thanks...the bail is correct, though it would be correct for both serial numbers...I can't tell if the trip lever is correct, but if is not notched, then it is correct....two more pieces to verify...the line guide and line guide screw...

Line guide - these were a silver color on the FRONCE (049159) reels...and darker in color on the later reels (483287)...they are known to be Tungsten, but not sure if that applies to both colors, or? I don't know if it is a difference in manufacturing, suppliers, material, etc...

Line guide screw - The early reels (049159) had a Panhead screw the later reels (483287) had a beveled head screw...looks like the one on this reel is a beveled head...little hard to tell...

To me, it looks like the whole bail wire assembly was swapped from a later reel...looks like the only thing the (049159) needs to be all original is the line guide and line guide screw...let me know if you'd like photos of these items...nice reel...

Sandman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:23 pm • #  

Thanks Sandman, you are correct I did not swap the line guide and screw over when I swapped bails. The line guide from newer 308 is slightly longer than the older 308. Also the screw head on newer 308 is almost a brass color and has a larger top where it is screwed in. The older line guide has less of a bevel to it because it is shorter and the older screw is silver in color. Not sure my descriptions will help you. I tried taking photos of them but the detail was not good enough.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:13 pm • #  

rubicon, sounds like you've got it figured out...I've not had a problem swapping out line guides and line guide screws when I needed to bring a reel to period correct parts...

Congrats on a great reel!

Sandman

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply