Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: side cover screws
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:06 pm • #  

does anyone know the size of the screws used in the side cover for the 300, would like to buy some without paying an arm and leg for the ones listed online, thanks

Post subject: Re: side cover screws
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:54 pm • #  

Hi jlslavay, Not sure of the size but am pretty sure all of the hardware (screws) on all of the Mitchell reels are metric. I'm sure you'll get an answer from one of the Mates. Regards John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:02 pm • #  

The diameter is 2.5 mm, pitch, I believe, is .75mm, but I am not 100 percent on that. Not sure of length at all.

They are small, in my mind, for the application, but seem to work.

Glen Simpson

:sCh_fisherman:

:sAni_fish:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:44 am • #  

Jeff Wright (jeffccbc) has them for $1.51 on ebay, plus his standard $2.65 for postage.

The OEM screws are stainless steel and last forever if not lost. I don't see how it's worth skimping to use standard store hardware.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:17 pm • #  

Jeff Wright (jeffccbc) is also a very good seller. I have ordered many things from him, and never a problem!! :tup

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:43 am • #  

garthg wrote:
The OEM screws are stainless steel and last forever if not lost. I don't see how it's worth skimping to use standard store hardware.

garthg,
Just FYI, I don't know about all Mitchell models, especially the salt water models, but I believe that the cover plate screws, on most Mitchell 300 reels, were chrome plated brass, up until about the late 1960s/early 1970s.

I would suggest when deciding on replacement screws, especially if you will be fishing in salt water, to keep in mind that the housing and cover plates, for the Mitchell 300 reels at least, were made out of an aluminum alloy. Keep in mind that dissimilar metals, especially when mixing ferrous and nonferrous metals, will corrode. :sFun_bricks:

If only the Mitchell cover plate screws did last forever, but sadly, most have been damaged by people using the wrong sized screwdrivers on them resulting in damaged heads due to the soft brass. :sAng_banghead2:

Hope this helps save someone some grief.
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:44 pm • #  

The Mitchell 300 side cover screws are 2.5mm metric thread 0.45 pitch. I bought 10 recently for £1.62 on Amazon UK recently. They are pozidrive 10mm stainless steel and fit perfectly. This is the webpage:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm sure you'll get them on Amazon.com. I see there's a warning in another reply on this topic regarding mixing metals and corrosion, so you might want to be careful on that score. My 300s don't get used for sea fishing, so less chance of salt causing a reaction between the alloy reel and the steel screws.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:49 pm • #  

While some screws are just beyond saving because they have been severely violated with the wrong size screw driver, you would be surprised how many can be salvaged and reused.
Granted, replacement screws aren't overly expensive, but I have found that using a very small, very fine grit file to reshape the slot as much as possible, some 2000 wet dry sandpaper to smooth out the face of the screw, and some 0000 steel wool to finish the face,
it makes a huge difference.
I have surprised myself numerous times on how well the screws came out. It may or may not be something a person wants to do on an otherwise mint condition reel though, but on reels that are less than mint, or user reels, it works great.
Yes it can be a little tedious, and not always easy if you are like me and your eye sight isn't what it used to be, but for me personally it is another part that can be salvaged and reused for many more years, and there is a sense of satisfaction from doing that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:28 am • #  

GreatLaker wrote:
garthg wrote:

garthg,
Just FYI, I don't know about all Mitchell models, especially the salt water models, but I believe that the cover plate screws, on most Mitchell 300 reels, were chrome plated brass, up until about the late 1960s/early 1970s.

I would suggest when deciding on replacement screws, especially if you will be fishing in salt water, to keep in mind that the housing and cover plates, for the Mitchell 300 reels at least, were made out of an aluminum alloy. Keep in mind that dissimilar metals, especially when mixing ferrous and nonferrous metals, will corrode. :sFun_bricks:

If only the Mitchell cover plate screws did last forever, but sadly, most have been damaged by people using the wrong sized screwdrivers on them resulting in damaged heads due to the soft brass. :sAng_banghead2:

Hope this helps save someone some grief.
Kind Regards,

I don't agree that the screws are brass. Every one I've examined closely, including those with bodged heads, appear to be stainless. I've rebuilt 300's several times, now, and have seen no evidence the screws are brass.

On the 302's, the screws are definitely stainless, as is all the hardware, save the spool spring, the plastic knob, the drag washers, which are brass, and the spool shaft, which is bronze. Even the star nut under the spool knob is stainless, as is the pinion and the spool spindle.

I've now acquired six 302's, including three that were used, and one that was heavily used and neglected. I've completely rebuilt three of them. None had any significant corrosion on the screws or on the body (or any of the part really). Even on the neglected reel, which had heavy paint loss on the spool and the body, but was still spooled with mono line caked with salt, there is virtually no metal corrosion. The aluminum is bare but unpitted. I'm led to believe that Mitchell used an aluminum alloy that was especially resistant to saltwater corrosion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:26 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Mates,
I had the impression that the later screws were, maybe, aluminum since they were so soft.
I took my trusty magnet pencil an shoved it down a container where I kept replaced screws and about half of them stuck easily to the magnet. The other half didn't stick, just moved a little. Then, I tried the magnet on the oldest Mitchell, 2nd version, that I had. The magnet nearer jumped out of my hand. The later versions of the Mitchells I tried had little, if any, attraction.

I know that there are different types of SS, some magnetic and some not so much. Would this explain the difference?

I have seen some that looked brass, but they may have had been coated with something.

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:33 pm • #  

garthg wrote:
I don't agree that the screws are brass. Every one I've examined closely, including those with bodged heads, appear to be stainless. I've rebuilt 300's several times, now, and have seen no evidence the screws are brass.

On the 302's, the screws are definitely stainless, as is all the hardware, save the spool spring, the plastic knob, the drag washers, which are brass, and the spool shaft, which is bronze. Even the star nut under the spool knob is stainless, as is the pinion and the spool spindle.

I've now acquired six 302's, including three that were used, and one that was heavily used and neglected. I've completely rebuilt three of them. None had any significant corrosion on the screws or on the body (or any of the part really). Even on the neglected reel, which had heavy paint loss on the spool and the body, but was still spooled with mono line caked with salt, there is virtually no metal corrosion. The aluminum is bare but unpitted. I'm led to believe that Mitchell used an aluminum alloy that was especially resistant to saltwater corrosion.

garthg,
I think you may have misunderstood, at least partly, what I meant to say. :eek I was speaking about Mitchell, Mitchell 300, Garcia Mitchell 300 cover plate screws only. :P Like I said, I do not know about all Mitchell Models and that includes 302s Mate. ;)
I can not prove what the screws were made of for 300 cover plates and I am not a Metallurgist or a Fastener Engineer and was only giving my opinion. :sCh_fisherman:
It sure would be great if we could get an expert to go over all of the parts and fasteners of Mitchell Reels and set the record straight for evermore. :sFun_oldguy:
Until then,
Kind Regards,

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply