Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:48 pm • #  

Hey y'all! Found this 300 in a thrift store the other day, really didn't know much about Mitchell reels. After playing around with the reel, and finding this site I'm thrilled to have this great Mitchell 300. Dated it to 1965. As you can see the knob is missing. I drilled out the broken screw, have a new screw coming in the mail and am going to turn a rosewood knob for it. I was so excited about this reel I went on E-bay and bought a 308. I'll clean and lube them both and take them up to the Rapidan River in the Virginia Blue Ridge later this month to break them in (the 300 may not be ready but the ultra-light 308 loaded up with 4 lb teamed up with an old Zebco UL rod will be looking for some brookies! Question: the rod I have pictured, it was attached to the 300 in the thrift store, came as a package deal - any thoughts on what it is? There are no markings on it. Its 6'6", not even sure if its graphite or glass. Thanks. Look forward to talking to y'all and seeing your Mitchell gear. Oh BTW paid $10 for the rod and reel!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Regards, Scott Brown
"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." -Patrick F. MacManus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:14 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings UpTheCreek,
:sSig_welcome4: to the Mitchell Reel Museum.
Well, you got a great deal for $10. A nice 6th version Mitchell 300 and a usable rod.

I'm not a Garcia rod guy, but I seem to remember seeing one of the later Garcia rods , after cork handles, that resembled the rod in your pic. I'm only about 40% sure of that, so I hope one of the other mates will correct my statement if I wrong.

It's my opinion that in todays time of throw away fishing tackle that a fisherman can't do any better than what you found in a thrift shop.

Enjoy,

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:39 pm • #  

Thanks Ted. Yes I agree with your throw-away comment. I grew up in the 60s and 70s when things were built to last. TV repair man came to your house with a box of tubes and got those three channels working good. This 300 is built to last as you know full well. I feel a sense of duty to clean and oil her and get her back on the water. There is something so beautiful in the simplicity of the design.

Regards, Scott Brown
"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." -Patrick F. MacManus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:05 am • #  

Hey UpTheCreek,

Just a double check. When you say there are no markings on the rod, there is no "g" in the butt cap?

John
Attachment:
Garcia butt cap.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:46 am • #  

Hey John, no, the butt end just has a plain black disc cover. I'm just curious more than anything. Not a bad rod really.

Regards, Scott Brown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:26 am • #  

Welcome to the site. You got a reel good deal on a real good reel! Just had to post that. You lucky guy.

You will get a lot of use out of that reel. The 308 as well. One thing you will notice is that although these 2 reels have egg shaped bodies, the 308 is not a scaled down 300. They have completely different gear systems. The head rotates in opposite directions.

Good for you, being introduced to Classic Mitchell reels with Such a little investment. Yours looks to be in great shape.

G. Glen Simpson

:sCh_fisherman:

:sAni_fish:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:21 am • #  

UpTheCreek, welcome to MRM.
I do a lot of trout fishing, with both 204 & 308 reels. Trout fishing doesn't get much better with these reels, and an UL rod!! Enjoy fishing with the work horse of all reels MITCHELL!
Below a couple photo's, 1st is a Conolon rod with a 308, 2nd a Fenwick (replacing the Tennessee handle soon) and a 204.
Keep your eyes open, and you'll learn a lot, I did!

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:00 pm • #  

Hey Glen, yeah I lucked out on that purchase. I'm a thrift store junkie lol. That's interesting about the different designs. I'm really anxious to clean and lube both of them, I see that MRM has some good videos on servicing them. Thanks for the info.

Scott Brown

Regards, Scott Brown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:06 pm • #  

Hey Glen, just noticed you are in Nova Scotia. I grew up in Maine and my Grandfather used to take me up to PEI as a kid. We would fish for brookies and go down to the docks to see the huge tuna the boats would bring in. Beautiful country up your way

Regards, Scott Brown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:15 pm • #  

Hey Don, couple nice reels you got there, darn nice trout too! I'll tell you I'm learning so much already on this forum. Never heard of a Tennessee handle. That's cool, back to basic, no-nonsense design, love it. Post some pictures when you redo your handle on the rod, I'd be interested to see it. I'm redoing a fly rod, got the reel seat and cork on it, next the guides. Labor of love

Scott Brown

Regards, Scott Brown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:51 pm • #  

Scott,
A Tennessee handle has rings that hold the reel to the handle.
The cork is turned with a taper on the ends, to keep the rings from coming off. The handle is cut into 2 pieces put the rings, and glued back together.

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:07 pm • #  

Hi Scott,

Appreciate your comments on Nova Scotia. I first came here when I joined the navy at age 17, in 1966. I am originally from Ontario, near the St. Clair River, on the border with Michigan.

I spent 16 of my 25 years in the service in Nova Scotia and am still here. It is a nice place, I just wish the fishing was better.

Best of luck with your Mitchell’s, I only use Mitchell reels for freshwater.

Glen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:17 pm • #  

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the Group :sSig_welcome2: .

I too grew up in Maine and too live in Virginia - The DC end though :sAng_banghead2: . Lived just outside Brewer, ME for the first 18 years of my life and then joined the Navy. I still have my camp up there and spend two weeks in the spring fishing and two weeks in the fall hunting....Heaven!!!! I can't wait for May and get the H#77 out of NoVA for a couple of weeks :sCh_taz: .

Glen,
Sailed in and out of Halifax a number of times, always had a Great Time!!!......If I remember correctly :sFun_rofl:.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:55 pm • #  

Hey Chris - I read your post about your Dad, the pine tree, him watching you - what a wonderful memory, beautiful story. I have a catchers mitt that my Dad gave me that I treasure. Sounds like we had very similar paths in life. I grew up in Vassalboro (between Augusta and Waterville). Also joined the service, army, in 1980, a few years after graduation. My aunt lived up in Belfast, not to far from Brewer I believe. Used to trout fish some of the brooks around there and netted smelt in the spring near Belfast. And man! I was looking at your collection. Wow! Really cool! Keep us updated on your trip up north. I'm heading up to the Rapidan in a couple weeks. May not catch anything, winter trout are elusive, but I'll try out the new Mitchell and a few of my new Panther Martins and Rapalas. I'll post some pics, hopefully with a fish next to my rig!

Scott Brown

Regards, Scott Brown

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:43 pm • #  

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the kind comments. Small world :sHa_yes: and sounds like we're about the same age too....Graduated Brewer High in 1977. Where are you headed on the Rapidan - I've fished it myself, several times as it's not very far from my house (1-1.5 hr). Your Mitchell 300 should be perfect for that river especially lined with 6# mono. Looking forward to seeing how it goes :tup .

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:42 am • #  

Hey Chris,
Yeah I just turned 60, :sFun_oldguy: graduated from Oak Grove Coburn in '76. We didn't have a HS in Vassalboro so kids had a choice of Waterville High, Cony, etc. You might know the school. Its now a training facility for the state police. Looks like an old castle. But yeah heading up to Charlottesville area next weekend, my wife and I for a few days. I've never fished up there but I've scoped it out some on line. Looks like there is a small parking area past Graves Mill where the steam flows out of the National Forest area. Was also going to try the South River just outside of Stanardsville. The 300 won't be ready 'cause it needs a handle. I got a handle screw from E-Bay and I'm going to carve or turn a handle from a piece of rosewood I have. But yesterday I got the 308 I bought from E-bay. It will go nicely on a 5'6" UL Zebco with some 4lb fluorocarbon. The 308 seems solid, the bail spring seems a little weak but maybe a good cleaning and lube will help.Was just looking at maintenance videos for the 308. Task for this weekend.

Scott Brown

Regards, Scott Brown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:29 am • #  

I think I would turn a round oversized handle. I am considering that idea, since my arthritic ands need all the help they can get.

Glen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:04 pm • #  

You could do 1 or 2 things to make it easier. 1st High Speed handle with torpedo grip. They are generally long due to the gearing on the reel the handle was intended for. More leverage. 2nd buy torpedo knob and screw.
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply