Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 37 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Mitchell Script Box Era
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:57 pm • #  

Chris, I will definitely add some time to my next DC trip...sharing a cold one in your Reel Room (Museum) and talking Mitchells would be fun...

I recently added this one to my Script box collection...It looks like you have one of these boxes...the SN is 937908...this one is MIB...what year would you place this one? Also, do you have a 305, 314 and 315 in this era Script box? I've been looking for them...

Sandman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:46 pm • #  

Hi Sandman,

A fantastic addition to your collection :clap . Congratulations!! My GM 304 is also NIB, #s matching 1096320.
Attachment:
1960 GM 304.jpg

I would date both reels w/ boxes at 1960, maybe early 1961. These boxes for the GM 304 are not common in my experience and even less so for the 314 - I don't have one of those nor can I recall ever seeing one. I do have a red scripted box for my 1962 GM 314X though. Yours is a great find!

Would love to spend some time with you and the up side is I have a stocked fridge and a bathroom up here with the Reel Room - we won't even have to go down stairs :sBo_bounce2: .

Best Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:14 pm • #  

Thanks Chris...you have a great set up for an eve of Mitchell fun...

I think the "X" boxes are the rarest of the scripted era...Of "X" reels, I only have the Scripted 300X in box...

I received this one too, during the same purchase as the 304...Not 100%, but I don't think I see one on your intermediate wall...it's a 306, SN 334475, MIB with all paperwork. I believe the intermediate series begin in 1958 with SN zero...not exactly sure the year of this one.

Mates, please use this thread to post photos of your Mitchell Script Boxes (Black boxes with yellow scripted Mitchell)...1959-'62, or so...love the look of these boxes...

Sandman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:23 am • #  

CDSAND7640, Thought I would show my two "X" scrip's since you asked!

Randy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:40 am • #  

That’s awesome Randy...Thanks for showing...like I said, I have the 300X, but your 302X is the only one i’ve seen...though Chris may have one...I don’t even have a regular 302 in the Script box, yet...

Sandman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:33 pm • #  

Hi Sandman and Randy,

Thank you for sharing your Script Box Mitchells. Great examples and according to Mike DiMattio's Mitchell 300 Boxes Identification and Dating Reference, these style boxes were only available from 1960 to 1962 for the Mitchell 300 - I would imagine that this would apply to all of the other Garcia Mitchell models as well.

Sandman, You are correct that I don't have an intermediate Mitchell in the Script Box, and I do believe that yours is the only one I have ever seen - superb addition!!

Randy, Very nice scripted X Boxes! I have the 300 X Box but never seen the Script Box for the 302 X......My 302 X Box is the later block letter issue.

I do have this very nice NIB 302 in the Script Box though. This GM 302 still has the banner attached to the handle, Ser # 703917 in the #s matching box.
Attachment:
NIB 1960s Mitchell 302.jpg

Attachment:
NIB 1960s Mitchell 302 1.jpg

I think we all have the Script Box 300 and 308 so I won't add those but I do have a Script Box 350, NIB and #s matching as well as my NIB 314 X Box, that I'll add to the thread.

Nice to have a new specific conversation :tup

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:03 pm • #  

Chris, thanks for the photos...will await your other more unusual script boxes...

Your 302 is fabulous...the insert is so clean and so is the bottom...you'll often find mint reels where the box has a fair amount of normal wear...hard to find a box with very little wear...

I haven't seen many 306 script boxes either, and do recall seeing a 307, which I now kick myself for not bidding higher...

I wonder if Christian has the 305, 315, 307, 303, etc?

Below is list of what I believe are the scripted boxes produced...you can consider the Prince versions exceptions, since their scripting was a bit different font, though I still like them since they are the same era, same black paper box, etc...

Mates, let me know if anything is missing or shouldn't be on the list...

Model Dist
300 Garcia
300X Garcia
301 Garcia
302 Garcia
302X Garcia
303 Garcia
304 Garcia
305 Garcia
306 Garcia
306X Garcia
307 Garcia
308 Garcia
308 Prince
308X Garcia
309 Garcia
309 Prince
314 Garcia
314X Garcia
315 Garcia
330 Garcia
350 Garcia
351 Garcia
358 Prince

Sandman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:07 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Here is my NIB Garcia Mitchell 350 5/1 with a numbers matching Script Box.
Attachment:
NIB 350 Script Box 2.jpg

Attachment:
NIB 350 Script Box.jpg

Attachment:
NIB 350 Script Box 1.jpg

The Mitchell Rapid / 350 is probably my second favorite reel in my collection - Next to the round bodies! This one is almost perfect and another that you don't see many of. I think that during the years of the Mitchell Script Boxes, the 300 and 308 were probably Garcia Mitchell's most popular reels as those don't seem to be hard to find, but some of these others (including this one) are quite uncommon...…..Only my thoughts Mates.

Regards,

Chris

Sandman, I think we posted at the same time :sHa_lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:39 pm • #  

Sandman,

Thank you for the kind comments on my GM 302 - I do think that one is pretty special.

I agree with your list of Script Box Garcia Mitchells. The only one I wasn't sure about was the 308 X Box in a Script Box. I've only ever seen one 308 X Box and it has the block letters......It's displayed about 12 feet from me :clap . So I looked it up and sure enough - a Script Box 308 X Box.
Attachment:
308 X Box Ad.jpg

Something else to look for :sFun_bananachaplin: because they're out there somewhere!

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:09 am • #  

Chris, fantastic 350...gives your 302 a solid run for its money...

Do you have a 309 in script box?...I have one, SN 184xxx, but it’s in just decent, used condition...they are pretty hard to come by too...

Thanks for the excellent research on the 308X...I have a photo or two of a couple different 308X reels, but not sure if either are a script box...will need to check...definitely one to look for...

Can you tell if the photos in your adds are red boxes? They look like black boxes...which doesn’t make sense...all the script X boxes I’ve seen are red...I wonder if they used non-X boxes for the photo...can you see the X on the boxes in the photo, or did they intentionally not show that part of the box? Can you tell if the reel is a FRONCE? I’m guessing they didn’t make the X UL until 1961, which would not be a FRONCE...sorry for all the questions...like I said, I love this era..

Sandman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:45 pm • #  

Hi Sandman,

Thank you for the compliment on the 350...…..It's a beauty!
That advertisement is from the 1963 Garcia Tackle Catalog and all of the ads are black and white but the boxes, as you noted certainly look black. In the 1965 Garcia Tackle Catalog the ads show the red box and show the full script with the "X" designation on the box. None of the ads in the 63 Catalog show an "X" designation on the boxes in any of the ads -300, 302, 306, 308 and 314. I think it was intentional - it certainly looks that way. There is no visible "FRONCE" on the 308 in the advertisement. Great questions and happy to answer :sHa_okay: . I got side tracked with a new Garcia Mitchell 401 tonight but will post the 314 X Box tomorrow night. I do have a script box for a 309 but it's a Prince and the Europeans carried the scripted Mitchell boxes for several years after Garcia shifted to block letters. I can still post photos of that one if you like......She's MINT! :sHa_biggrin:

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:59 am • #  

Thanks Chris...sounds like you are having fun with a 401 tonight...I found the below tonight...looks mint, but is missing the bottom of the box...may still get it...

Odd that the '63 ad does not use "X" boxes in the X advertisement...maybe they didn't have any red boxes available when they were doing the photos.

No need to post the later Prince 309 box...like those boxes allot, but the Garcia 309 seems harder to find...

Sandman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:03 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Here's my Garcia Mitchell 314 in the red script X Box.
Attachment:
314X.jpg

Attachment:
314X 1.jpg

This reel is NIB, Ser# 1716521 but the box does have a little wear. The Platyl band is still on the spool on the reel and the remnants of the Platyl band for the spare spool is petrified in the bottom of the box :eek. The 314 X and 308 X Boxes didn't come with a tool. This particular reel is one of my favorites in my collection - very hard to find.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:20 pm • #  

Hi Again Mates,

For the last of my Garcia Mitchell Script boxes, I present these two Garcia Mitchell 1st Version, 2nd Release (Hence the Garcia) FRONCE 308s.
Attachment:
GM 308 Fronce.jpg

Attachment:
GM 308 Fronce 1.jpg

Both the boxes and reels are in very nice condition but what makes this pair special is they both have the very first Garcia Mitchell 308 Owners Manual. I've only ever seen two of these.... and these are both of them :sBo_bounce2:. Would love to see other Mates GM Script Box Mitchells.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:59 pm • #  

Chris, fantastic sets...and while not common, particularly in that condition, as you eluded, the manuals are even more uncommon...I may of only seen three of those, ever...

The 309 below is a little rough, but it is still the earliest (168xxx) Garcia 309 box I've seen. Hoping another mate has an earlier one to post.

Sandman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:47 pm • #  

Sandman,

Very nice addition :sHa_okay: . You just don't see many left hand Script Boxes of any model and I didn't realize that the bases of the boxes changed during this couple of year period. Your 309 box base is clearly for the spool container with spool but also has a cut-out for the bail wire vice the spool only slot and no cut-out for the bail.....Interesting. Regardless of condition - which in my opinion is quite nice - a difficult find...Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Chris

Sitting here this evening, I found a couple of others and made an additional observation that I haven't shared yet - more to follow :tup

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:55 am • #  

Chris, good observation. You may have also noticed when they cut out for the bail wire, they also inserted a paper "head stand" into the cut out for the head (and deleted the folded flaps that supported the head)...see photo...both the addition of the spool container and cut out/head stand revisions occured at the same time. The transisition begin about 126xxx and was completed about 165xxx. The only UL exception is the 358. These box bases, to my knowledge, never received a spool container or head stand.

One more change, the model numbered printed on the paper insert went away about 240xxx, which was the same time as the Scripted boxes changed to Block lettering...though, the 358 model printing was not deleted until 380xxx...the 358 differences are not surprising, considering they were never distributed by Garcia, that I am aware of. You can really not include them in the "Scripted Box Era" discussion. While they are a UL, they tend to muddy this box era, along with Prince reels to some degree (different font and scripted for much longer).

Like any revisions you can document and associate with certain serial number ranges, you can use these box differences to determine if the box is original to a certain reel, when the sticker is gone from the bottom of the box...

Sandman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:23 pm • #  

Sandman,

That's fantastic information - Thank you for sharing. I have only one scripted box like that with the rotor support and bail cut-out. Mine is for a 308 Prince, white label with red "Prince 308" and is Ser# 300593.

Another item I observed the other night while looking over my GM Script Boxes are a couple of these GM 300s.
Attachment:
2 300s.jpg

While there is nothing spectacular about these two reels and their boxes, although the boxes are in pretty nice condition and the reels are very good with numbers matching.
Attachment:
2 300s 1.jpg

The one on the left is a 1959 and on the right is a 1960. The boxes are identical - no changes there, but what did change is on these two 6th Version 300s.
Attachment:
2 300s 2.jpg

The trip levers changed from 1959 (toothed square end) to 1960 (smooth rounded end). Nothing spectacular, but thought I would include these two to note the change during the Script Box Era ;)

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:55 pm • #  

Chris, nice 300s...the sawtooth trip levers were likely just being used up until they ran out...

So I checked my only two 300 Script boxes and found the same as yours.

SN 2287754 (early 1959) has the sawtooth trip lever and my SN 3396713 (mid 1960) has the smooth trip lever...these reels are mint and box tops are near mint, bottoms have some wear and staining...both came with paperwork still in cellophane. one has display card...

There are quite a few variants to the ULs as they progressed through the relatively short (1959 - '62) script box era. Of course, it stands to reason, considering the ULs begin alongside the script boxes.

Sandman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:03 pm • #  

Hi Sandman,

Beautiful GM 300s and although (like mine) fairly common, not so much though in that superb condition! Looking at your list, I think that for the most part we've covered a large part of the Script Box Garcia Mitchells but we're still missing a large population of the left hand Mitchells, the 306 X Box, 308 X Box, 314 and 330. That's pretty good for only 3 contributors to this thread :sBo_bounce2: . Mates, certainly someone out there has the missing links.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:35 am • #  

Excellent thread. I came across a Script 309 top only. Semi-bowed in and a little fading. Not sure where I purchased it from but it came with the reel. Reel in usable but somewhat rough condition. Hoping to catch up here for the next 4 days as our ice has shrunk and not safe by my standards............
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :tup

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:42 pm • #  

Hi Chris,

Here is a new 330 in the matching script box, the box is a little scuffed, but the reel is sweet. Serial number is 2935591:

Attachment:
330 2935591.jpg

Also, I have a 306X in the red script box. The box has been heavily repaired and is covered in scotch tape, but it is the only one that I have come across. The reel is hardly used, serial number 166212:

Attachment:
306X 166212.jpg
Attachment:
306X 166212 Box.jpg

I also have a 301 if that is interesting, let me know and I will post it, but haven't found a 351 script box yet...

I am not sure if this thread is just about the Garcia script boxes. I have collected some examples of the European script boxes, 300, 301, 330 and 350 which I can also post if you would like to see them.

George

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:37 pm • #  

George, fantastic reels and additions to this thread. I hadn't seen either of those reels/boxes to date. I would enjoy seeing your 301 Script era reel/box.

Mates, the goal of this thread would be to have a photo of every Garcia Script. Below, I've compiled which reels/boxes we are missing from this thread. We are still missing eight boxes. If any mates have these, please post. A few of these I've never seen, like the 308X and 351.

I've not included Euro Script boxes by design, though I am glad to start a separate topic for these wonderful reels/boxes also.

1959 -1962 Mitchell Script Logo Boxes
Model Dist Box in Thread

300 Garcia X
300X Garcia X
301 Garcia
302 Garcia X
302X Garcia X
303 Garcia
304 Garcia X
305 Garcia
306 Garcia X
306X Garcia X
307 Garcia
308 Garcia X
308X Garcia
309 Garcia X
314 Garcia
314X Garcia X
315 Garcia
330 Garcia X
350 Garcia X
351 Garcia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:08 pm • #  

Hi Sandman,

Here is my 301 in the matching number box - 2541183.

Attachment:
301 2541183.jpg

George

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:59 pm • #  

Hi Mates!

Here's my Left Hand, serial number A08103. Not sure it belongs in this box or in the script discussion. I haven't seen any real early ones yet.

Randy

Last edited by rng1966 on Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:04 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

This only allows three photo's on my computer anyway. Here's another of the same reel.

Randy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:46 pm • #  

Mates, adding to this thread a 308X Script logo (currently on the big site). Below is updated as to what we are still missing from the this thread. Down to only six yet to be posted.

1959 -1962 Mitchell/Garcia Script Logo Boxes
Model Dist Box
303 Garcia
305 Garcia
307 Garcia
314 Garcia
315 Garcia
351 Garcia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:10 pm • #  

CDSand7640,

My 303 L.H. It's a little early but it is "script"

Randy :sHa_biggrin:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:20 pm • #  

Randy, that era of script box is very cool too...Those red box 303s are hard to come by...I think that era of script boxes were made from about ‘53 through ‘58, so six years, or so..

Sandman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:37 am • #  

cshannon772 wrote:
Hi Sandman and Randy,

I do have this very nice NIB 302 in the Script Box though. This GM 302 still has the banner attached to the handle, Ser # 703917 in the #s matching box.
Attachment:
NIB 1960s Mitchell 302.jpg

Attachment:
NIB 1960s Mitchell 302 1.jpg

Regards,
Chris

Hi. I just bought a 302. Would you mind sharing with me the text of the "Read Before Using" banner? A picture would be good. Thanks.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 37 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply