Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 25 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 308 vs 314 Comparison
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:01 pm • #  

New guy - go easy on me.

I fish mostly with ultra-lite tackle. Waiting on the arrival of a 308 from fleabay. How does the 314 compare in size? I've googled and can't seem to find a good side x side.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:59 pm • #  

Hello Balvar 24, First let me say welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum, and we were all new at some time. I think the answer to your question is that they are very close in size . The big difference is that one is a round body 314, and the other is what I would call an egg shaped body like the 300 style of reels only smaller in size. As far as I know they are both planamatic in their type of gearing, and I'm fairly sure both can be switched over to crosswind if you have the adapter disc. If I had to make a call I would say the 308 is the smaller of the two.Both are fun to fish with for fish up to about 14" or 2# , of course a lot depends on the angler and the shape his equipment is in . I'm sure you'll get more opinions from other Mates , and remember the collecting desease just gets worse as time goes by. Regards, John inPa.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:14 pm • #  

Thanks. Kind of getting tired of disposable reels. Thought I'd try something different. Had good luck with old rifles and scopes. Thought I'd try old reels.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:21 am • #  

Balvar24
I collect mostly 308 and 204 reels. I also fish ultra light gear. I think you'll like the 308 and Mitchell reels in general their very easy to work on. The only thing I say about working on them, is watch for shims. I remember starting out and seeing one on the table, and wondering where does this go :sCo_hmmthink: . Mitchell's pound for pound, are the work horse of reels!

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:41 am • #  

Any types of line to stay away from on these?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:01 pm • #  

I use 4lb mono P-Line, but any good mono works...the 308 is lighter, and, a bit smoother than the 314 due to the ball bearing pinion gear (IMHO)....pretty hard to hurt these reels...I know 20" bows or 6lb cats are no match for them...

Sandman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:51 pm • #  

What kind of rod are you using? I've pulled in a few 18" + largemouths before on my old K-mart set-up. Had thought about trying Fireline.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:38 pm • #  

I use a vintage Fenwick 6’ fiberglass fly rod (FF605)...It’s a 2oz rod and has parabolic action (full taper bend)...the most fun for fish this size...though the 6lb cat was all it could handle...

Sandman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:04 am • #  

Looks fun. I may have to give it a whirl. I've got an old Eagle Claw lightweight travel rod that's never been used. Still in the tube and plastic wrapper. May have to pair them up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:58 pm • #  

And now I have a 408 and another 308 on the way. I've got two boys, so I needed a couple of extras, right?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:23 pm • #  

Hi Balvar 24, I'm sure that the three reels you bought if they are in at least good to very good shape will last you and your sons for a lifetime. The first thing I would do is remove the side covers , clean out all the old stiff grease and re grease and oil them . Take care of them and they will take care of you. Tight lines ,John in Pa.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:43 pm • #  

Balvar24, careful...that's how I started...my dad left me one...and I had two girls, so figured they needed one each...one girl never used one...but somehow I ended up with over 50 Mitchell ULs in my stable...most of the FRONCE variety...

Sandman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:18 pm • #  

Hope all is well. They looked complete online. One 308 was listed as a large reel. The 408 looked in excellent shape. Hopefully just some minor cleaning and greasing required. I'll run by the fishing shop tomorrow and get some actual reel grease. Always used only in the past. I don't guess I should pack these like a wheel hub.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:42 am • #  

No, don’t pack it with grease. I think Wallace made a good video on cleaning and lubing a 308/408...I think it is on this site...you can also find his video by googling...some mechanisms get light oil and some areas get grease.

Some sellers confuse a 306 with a 308...the 306 is larger...

Sandman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:19 am • #  

That should have read "parts reel." Autocorrect. My tablet is also ultralight. Unfortunately my fingers and thumbs are not.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:13 pm • #  

The 408 looks good. Just needs cleaning. Thus spool still has a paper wrapper around it. Should clean up good.

The 308s both have bail issues. One needs a new spring. Both bail levers seem to need some attention. Going to have to figure out how they are supposed to work.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:30 pm • #  

A lot of the time, just cleaning and oiling the pivot points works, or just a slight tweak on adjusting the bail so that it does not bind on the pivot point.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:08 am • #  

What are the spool arbors used for?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:03 pm • #  

Also, is it common to be missing 81277 handle spacer washer?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:38 pm • #  

Hello Balvar24, In response to your question about spool arbors they are a filler piece for a spool to use if you only have a deep spool and you don't want to fill it up with a lot of extra line that will never get used under normal fishing conditions. As far as the handle spacers ,I'm not sure how common it is for them to be missing. Also without checking the schematics I'm not sure but at some time I think they were done away with, you can probably see for your self if you check them. Hope I gave you some info you can use and it's correct . I'm sure if I'm wrong one of the other Mates will correct my info, there are a lot of more knowledgeable members than me. Best regards, John in Pa. P. S. After checking it looks like the handle washer wasn't done away with until 1988 on the 308 .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:33 pm • #  

I'll look at picking a couple up. Cleaned one 308 up. Had to tweak the trip lever. Works slick now. Both 308s are missing the spacer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:33 am • #  

I have both a 309 and a 315 ( the left hand versions of the above reels). Neither one are big reels. However The 309 feel significantly smaller in use. The 309 feels like an ultralight/lightweight reel. The 315 feels like a compact small/medium reel.
They are about the same length, the 315 is a little taller. The 309 is about 6 oz where the 315 is about 8oz. The difference is in the head. The 309 has a small rotatating head. The 315 head is almost the same size as a 300 which makes it feel like a bigger reel than the 309. I will try to take pics side by side when I get home on Thursday. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:38 pm • #  

Balvar, it is quite common to be missing crank handle spacers on used ULs. I don’t know why people remove them, as while on the surface they don’t seem to make any difference when cranking a handle without them, they do perform a couple important roles:

1) They keep the aluminum crank handle from disfiguring when installing without one (when tightened too tight or too many times) due to the flat steel surface they provide vs the narrow steel surface otherwise found on the main drive gear shaft end.

2) A disfigured crank shaft handle can drag on the outer end of the shaft race creating friction.

3) Also, to some degree, there are protective properties in keeping the oil on the drive shaft from leaking out and keeping dirt\salt from getting in.

Sandman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:59 pm • #  

After cleaning the 304s I'm getting some noise from the pinions. I suppose it's because I washed the grease out of them. What's the best way to get it back in there?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:45 pm • #  

Figured it out. Brushed it in.

Page 1 of 1   [ 25 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply