Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:09 pm • #  

I am attaching pics of off what I bought as a 300 new old stock never used still in the box.

When it arrived, the first thing I noticed was that there is no serial number on the back of the reel foot. This had made me doubt, so I wanted to get sound of your expert opinions.

Can you help me understand the origin of this reel? The box and the reel both look authentic to me, but....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:29 pm • #  

I'm having trouble loading the pics...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:35 pm • #  

Hello Florida Phil,

Welcome to the MRM Forum. Try first resizing your pics to 850 pixels or less then attaching to your posts. It should then work for you.
Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:13 am • #  

Attachment:
1 (5).jpg
Attachment:
1 (3).jpg
Attachment:
1 (2).jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:23 am • #  

Attachment:
1 (8).jpg
Attachment:
1 (6).jpg

There is probably a better way to post pics, but this is the best I could figure out.

Any way.... My question is... Is this reel real?

Is this a real Mitchell 300 and if so, why is there no serial number on the reel? Then what year would it be from? And then, it is in mint condition, so what would be its approx. value?

Thank you.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:04 pm • #  

There should be a serial number on bottom of the foot. May very small and faint. Since yours doesn't seem to have one it's probably a new old stock one. Technically new but not factory assembled.
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:31 pm • #  

Florida Phil, :sSig_welcome2:
(I would like to Thank You for taking the time to post the great photographs!) :clap
In addition to Kim's comments, I would also like to add the following comments regarding your post. :P
"it is in mint condition" The definition of "Mint" is grossly misused on ebay and such sites today IMHO. :sCh_taz: Here at the MRM we define Mint In Box and Mint as shown below from the glossary on the Home page:
http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index ... ns&limit=0
"My question is... Is this reel real?" From what I see in your photographs your reel looks like a 7th version Mitchell Garcia 300 to me IMHO based on what I have learned here at the MRM and Wallace's book. Beyond that, I personally can't tell. I do own 4 reels that look exactly like your photos and believe them to be real although mine all have serial numbers. To know for sure you would need an expert like Wallace to study your reel. The only other help I can suggest is to See below for more info and pics on 7th versions:
http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index ... tegory/541
"What would be its approx. value?"See: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=24
"Why is there no serial number on the reel?" I do not know. Hopefully someone else will join in and offer an answer. :help:
Other than that, I suggest you try doing a search of the MRM to see if you can find an answer.
"What year would it be from?" Unable to tell exactly due to no serial number but if it is a 7th version they were made between 1967-1976.

Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:53 am • #  

Is it not the case that NOS reels are often made up of old unused parts and sold as complete reels , the NOS bodies not having serial numbers like factory built complete reels ?
Kind regards
John

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:30 pm • #  

John,
Lets start a new topic on New Old Stock (NOS) reels.
Regards,
Bill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:04 pm • #  

See new post

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply