Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:24 am • #  

Hello,

I looked at the serial numbers starting with "P" - "Q" - "R" - "S" and "T", about fifty reels.

The style of the numbering is variable according to the models, nothing very coherent.

Attached are three photos showing the different styles year by year, non-exhaustive list, there are probably other styles that I do not have.

On the last picture, two bizarre markings.
Best regards
Attachment:
Lettre P Q.jpg

Attachment:
Lettre R.jpg

Attachment:
Lette S T.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:55 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Laroupane,
Thanks for all your work getting those serial numbers. Hopefully, your work will trigger even more information to come out.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:34 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Laroupane,

It took a while, but I was able to find something that M. DeMattio had in his book "Mitchell 300 Boxes, where he states that the first Character was the year, the second number was the production line, and the last two character were the month. So Q,3.05 would be 1985, production line 3, month May.

I know that doesn't help with any of the oddballs, but that's what Mike says about it.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:34 am • #  

There was some discussion on this last year. I have a GM 901 with H117404 on the bottom of the foot. It was determined that the reel was made in 1978 on April 27. H= 1978. 117= that day from Jan 1st which is the 27th day of April, the 04 on the end the month, The 4 in the middle is the production line. Hope this helps.
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:45 pm • #  

Hello Ted and Kim,
Thank you for your answers.

Kim, the very good dating system "Julian Calendar" indicated by Mike DiMattio (thanks to him) is valid only from 1974 to 1983. From 1984 (letter P) the numbering changes and no longer has the logic of previous years. Most serial numbers can be the format that Ted says, with Year - Line - Months
But what of a # R01, T.4, T.6.0?
For R01, line 0 in January ?
T.4, line 4 or April?
T.6.0, line 6 months 0 !!!

I think that the system from 1984 can be used for the majority of reels, for the rest, no logic. The separators, whether for the first or the second are not homogeneous: dash, point, comma.

It is unfortunate to say, but the "Mitchell quality" of the end of the French period was no longer the same, why? the lack of motivation of the workers knowing that their future was dark, I do not know.
Best regards

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:47 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Mates,
It is a real shame that we don't have any Mitchell ex employee mates that could contribute, and answer some of the questions that we all have.
It's not like we are talking about a company that existed 100 years ago. :sSa_sadeyes:

Regards,
Ted Lanham

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply