Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Mitchell reliability
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:30 am • #  

Way back at Christmas 1966 I had my first Mitchell reel- the famous "Mitchell 300" as used by all the top Matchmen in England at that time- I was aged 14. As the years passed, I progressed onto a couple of "famous" reels by other makers, and the Mitchell was consigned to the spares drawer. Recently, my two "famous" reels have been problematical, inasmuch as they appear not to be able to lay the line correctly on the spool resulting in massive tangles.

Yesterday I used the Mitchell 300- no tangles; no problems; great casting. The "famous" reels?- one is consigned to the spares drawer; the other is consigned to the middle of the lake I was fishing.

I'm going to resurrect my Mitchell 440A now.

You can't beat quality.

Post subject: Re: Mitchell reliability
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:29 am • #  
Global Moderator

bristolmod,
I think all of the mates will agree on this. :sHa_rollingsmilie:
I've been using old Mitchells for over 50 years, and I have yet to replace any part in any of my own personal reels.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:14 pm • #  

bail arm springs- the only stuff I've ever replaced; and on the original 300 I've only ever done one!

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:55 pm • #  

Chris,
I agree, I fish anywhere form 3 to 5 days a week. I have replaced many a bail spring and 1 trip lever. Mostly fish with 204 and 308 reels. Pound for pound the best reels!!! :tup ;)

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:15 pm • #  

Hi Bristolmod,
Got my first Mitchell 300 reel in 1967. Still using it today. I did need to replace the transfer gear for water got into the reel many years ago and I neglected to clean/service it in time. Corroded a gear tooth off. After replacement the reel is working smooth as new. Still has original bail spring too.

Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:32 am • #  

so I dig out my Mitchell Match 440A and use it Saturday. Absolutely NO tangles; no miscasts; no line wrap. Just perfect reliability. Why oh why did I think I could improve by buying a "modern" reel?? Off to Church in the morning- need to confess!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:50 am • #  

I always liked the fact that Mitchells were built using all metal construction. With proper care and proper use, they'd essentially last you a lifetime.

The only time I ever had problems decades ago was because of accidents, or improper usage.

As an example and a test I once read, was this.

Take any Rod-Reel combo in your arsenal, no matter how stout, could be one of your favorite Musky Rigs with a heavy duty Baitcaster Reel on board.

Now, tie a 2-3lb weight on the end of the line, hold the Rod horizontally and by not moving the Rod, try cranking up the weight off the ground via Reel only.

This test confirms the role that a Rod largely plays in fighting a fish.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply