Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Life Is Strange
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:30 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Mates, (Sorry, Long Story)
I don't think I've discussed this reel before.
All this happened, probably, 7 or 8 years ago.
I noticed this beautiful 3rd version listed on eBay, and as I ended up buying it. I don't remember either if it was an auction style, BIN, or what I paid for it. All I was concerned with was that it was the nicest I had ever seen, at that time.
I'm sure you all know that I was a bit anxious to get, and see if had worked over. :sFun_shocked:
When it did arrive, I was a happy camper. It was as nice as I had hoped, and I believe it has the original grease still in it. It is a bit stiff to crank, but didn't want to open it up.
It didn't come with a box, so I checked around and found one that would work till a nicer one turned up.
It was several years later and I was reading my well worn "The Mitchell Classic 300 Spinning Reel" book by Wallace Carney when I noticed a picture of a reel on page 68 that caught my attention. It really looked familiar!
By this time I had picked up several 300 half bails, that I had setting in boxes on a shelf, but I figured it was a reel that I had seen on the MRM. Maybe, in the gallery. I know that Wallace, sometimes, used the same reel pictures for both his book and the MRM, and it was the same reel that was shown in the book.
Now, here is the strange part.
Still, I couldn't get this particular reel out of my mind. This kept rolling around in my brain for several days, when I started opening the boxes on the shelf, and there was the same reel that Wallace had in both his book and the Museum. :sFun_eyescan:
At first, I had heard that there could be a mistake at the factory and there could be more than one reel with the same sn, but when I compared it to the pictures, it's the same reel.
I contacted Wallace see what he might know about the path the reel took to my house, all he knew was that he sold it on eBay earlier to someone with the original box.
Conclusion: I can't think of a good reason to buy such a beautiful reel/box, and then keep the box and let the reel go.
Regards,
Ted Lanham

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Life Is Strange
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:34 pm • #  
Global Moderator

More Pictures

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:25 pm • #  

Ted, beautiful reel and cool story...can't imagine why the box didn't stay with it...

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:38 pm • #  

Hi Ted,

I enjoyed your story about your beautiful reel. Since it's pictured in Wallace's Book, I think that adds provenance and perhaps additional value to the early egg shaped claw bail. Thanks for sharing.
Best regards, Dennis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:52 pm • #  

Hey Ted,

Boxes do not last as long as reels, therefore the box was sold separately to someone with a reel and who was willing to pay a premium price for a matching box...Yes?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:57 pm • #  
Global Moderator

really,
That is a possibility, but other than a reel that a lot of sentimental value, it's hard to believe that that another reel could have been nicer for that box. :sCo_hmmthink:

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:42 pm • #  

Ted,
I agree with what you say, however, there are those whose sentiments are in monetary gains...

And then we must appreciate them because without them there would not be a lot to collect...

Smiles.
Reely

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:29 am • #  

Maybe figured by selling each on its own that they would get a better total for the two.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:49 am • #  
Global Moderator

Mates,
All good possibilities, but I guess I just don't think that way. :sFun_bricks:

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:43 pm • #  

Ted,
Congratulations on finding a true treasure. Thank you for posting the photos and story.
I agree with you it is strange that someone would take a mint 3rd version 1/2 bail with box and paperwork and break them up but that is eBay. Who knows who owned the reel w/box after being purchased from Wallace. Perhaps that person passed away and the new owner did not realize the value of the box and paperwork and discarded them. :sAng_scream: :sCh_taz: :devil :nono :P :sAng_banghead2: :sFun_bricks: :sSic_yuk: :sSic_yuk: :sSa_sadeyes: :eek
On the bright side, the reel is now back in the hands of one of the finest collectors on earth! I know you will give it the attention it deserves. At least the reel was saved!! :clap :sHa_yes: :sHa_biggrin: :D :sHa_rollingsmilie: :sHa_clap2: :sFun_bananachaplin: :sSig_goodjob2:
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup
P.S. Did you get the spare spool-container or paperwork with the reel when you bought it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:41 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Bill,
There wasn't any paper, spools with it, but I found correct ones for it. I still am looking for a box that would be in as nice a condition as the reel. Who knows, maybe I trip over the original somewhere. ;) ;)
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:49 pm • #  

Talking about people not knowing, I saw an ad on craigslist showing an outboard motor for sale that was from the late 60's early 70's era, nothing really collectible other than he was saying that it had never been run. His picture showed the motor laying on and crushing the cardboard box that it came in.
ou never know what people are thinking.

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply