Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next   Page 9 of 10   [ 277 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:22 pm • #  

Great acquisition Chris. I wonder if Wallace could do a REPRINT of it to help fund this site. I myself would buy it hands down....
Kim :tup :sCh_fisherman: :clap

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:02 pm • #  

Kim,
I'll second that and am right behind you Mate! :sFun_bananachaplin:
Kind Regards,
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:22 pm • #  

Thanks Mates, The MITCHELL Vintage Fishing Reel Schematics - Study Guide is an excellent reference :sHa_clap2: . I'm very fortunate to have found one.

This afternoon I received these from a Seller in France. Just another Mitchell item that I had never seen before.
Attachment:
Service Cards.jpg

From my very weak understanding of the French language and with the help of Google Translate :sSa_sadeyes: I have deciphered that these are Mitchell Dealer service cards
Attachment:
Service Cards 1.jpg

I think this front of the card is the owner's pertinent information to include the Mitchell reel information. I'm not sure about the Mitchell Club Member No. though???
Attachment:
Service Cards 2.jpg

I think this back of the card is "What's your problem/What's broke" at the top and at the bottom is "This is what we did to fix it". I'm sure Christian can provide a thorough explanation - I may be completely out to lunch :sFun_bricks: . I like them though!

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:25 am • #  

Hello Chris,

The documents you have are from the late 1980s and early 1990s.
These are documents to send a Mitchell to the SAV.
Concerning the "Mitchell Fishermen's Club", this club gave a lot of advantages to the members of this club, in particular, to have priority to the after-sales service, from where the line to fill on the document that you have.
Other avantages listed below:
Telephone support for technical issues
Tips for different fishing techniques
Mailing to the Mitchell Catalog of the Year
Discount on subscriptions to fishing logs
The CAP catalog at a reduced price
Discounted fishing trips
Fishing courses.
All his information is on the document (green at the bottom of the photo which shows many documents of this Club) of 1987 with registration form for the year 1988.
I do not have the document that you have, but I enclose the photo of a purchase order of the same time.
For information, also attached is a photo of a service return card dated June 1968 for a Mitchell 350 # 4604155. This reel is the one in the photo, I bought this set on a flea market, the whole was in a box of 316!
I hope I have answered your question about this Club, the rest of your conclusions on the French text is correct
Best regards,
Christian
Attachment:
Club1.JPG

Attachment:
Club2.JPG

Attachment:
club3.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:04 am • #  

Laroupane wrote:
Hello Chris,

For information, also attached is a photo of a service return card dated June 1968 for a Mitchell 350 # 4604155. This reel is the one in the photo, I bought this set on a flea market, the whole was in a box of 316!
I hope I have answered your question about this Club, the rest of your conclusions on the French text is correct
Best regards,
Christian
Attachment:
Club1.JPG

Attachment:
Club2.JPG

Attachment:
club3.jpg

Do you think the repair guarantee from 1968 might still be good?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:59 pm • #  

Hello garthg
I do not think the warranty is still good, there is more Mitchell factory in France for a year.
The technical factory has not existed for many years and the old Mitchell are no longer repaired by lack of spare parts from the sellers of fishing equipment, moreover these are less and less numerous, replaced by trusts that have stores in many cities. Gone are the days when the one who sold could also repair.
Now we do not repair anymore we throw in the trash
Best regards
Christian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:15 pm • #  

Hello Christian,

Thank you for the excellent explanation and the great photos from your collection. It's amazing to me how much support Mitchell provided to their customer and the Mitchell Clubs of France. Unfortunately those are "Days Gone By". Like you said - Today you buy a new reel, fish with it until it breaks (one season, maybe) and throw it away :sAng_banghead2: .

Please e-mail me your address Christian and it would be my pleasure to send you several of these cards for your collection. They are in excellent / new condition and I think would fit in nicely :tup .

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:01 am • #  

Great repair tags Christian. Never seen them before. Found a reel that Garcia repaired that was sent back in a Garcia labled box with reels printed on them. I think there is a picture of it on this site.....
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :tup

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:11 pm • #  

Hello,

I received today a "bookmark" (to put between two pages of book to indicate the place where we stopped reading) that I bought eight days ago.
It dates from the late 1950s, the text is identical to that in advertising in December 1956 for the Mitchell Rapid.
Join a photo and a copy of the December 1956 advertisement.

Best regards

Christian

Attachment:
Marque pages Mitchell Rapid 2.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:15 am • #  

Hi Christian, a very nice Mitchell "Bookmark". Great find. Félicitations, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:28 am • #  

Hello Dennis
Thanks,
Attached is the French translation

Mitchell RAPID
WHY ?

For "upstream" castings in torrents and fast-flowing rivers.

Launched upstream, the lure must, to turn or vibrate normally, reach a speed greater than that of the stream it descends.

Having a great salvage of line the fisherman will get the necessary speed to his lure without any fatigue.

RECOVERY
75 CENTIMETERS
AT THE HANDLE TURN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:27 pm • #  

Thanks for the GREAT Advertisements Christian. Makes perfect sense as to WHY the Rapid was conceived and made. We have fast moving streams here and wonder why it never caught on. Could be the selling price. Keep up the great ads.....
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :tup :sHa_okay:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:34 am • #  

Hello Kim,
You're right the 350 has been significantly less sold than the 300.
Production for these two models was in the order of more than 90% for the 300, only the years 1959 and 1960 are below 90% (see table attached)
The selling price of the 350 was lower than that of the 300, for example:
in 1958, 300 = 3520 AF and the 350 = 3375 AF
in 1977, 300 = 119.60 NF and the 350 = 118.30 NF
so it was not a selling price problem
That's what I can say

Best regards,
Christian
Attachment:
300 vs 50.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:08 pm • #  

Hello Christian,

Your Mitchell Rapid tag is a fantastic find - Congratulations. I've never seen one that early with the "Rapid" on it. This one, I think is the follow on to yours which I estimate 1959 as it has the model number on it.
Attachment:
350 tag.jpg

"Cette bobine est à tous égards la même que notre norme n ° 300 Mitchell Reel, sauf qu'au moyen d'un système d'engrenage spécial, le taux de récupération a été augmenté d'environ quatre rotations de la tête tournante avec un tour de la poignée, à cinq rotations de la rotatine g tête avec un tour de la poignée, permettant de récupérer plus de ligne plus rapidement."

Both, I think are very early in the promotion of the Mitchell Rapid/350. Next to the "Round Body" Mitchells, the Rapid/350 is my favorite. For the exact reasons that Christian stated - they didn't make a lot of them and they were beautifully designed reels.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:21 pm • #  

Mates,

Great stuff!

How about a July, 1952 The Fisherman magazine with a Charles Garcia 4-page advertising insert?

John
Attachment:
5207 TF 000 cover.jpg

Attachment:
5207 TF 031 Garcia.jpg

Attachment:
5207 TF 032 Garcia.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:23 pm • #  

Attachment:
5207 TF 033 Garcia.jpg

Attachment:
5207 TF 034 Garcia.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:33 pm • #  

Mates,

How about content from an article, La pêche en Amérique vue par un Français (Fishing in America as Seen by a Frenchman) in the August, 1950 La Pêche Indépendante magazine?

First I show some images of the magazine. Then I show some French text (from the second page of the article - image not shown) for anyone who would like to refer to the original text, perhaps to improve the translation. Finally, I show the corresponding English provided by Bing Translator with some touch up be me.

John
Attachment:
5007 PI 000 cover.jpg

Attachment:
5007 PI 001 America.jpg

Quote:
Le matériel français pour la pêche au coup, le lancer léger et ultra-léger est supérieur à l'américain, je dirai même rien de comparable en ce qui concerne le moulinet. Pour avoir une qualité approchante, il faudrait payer quatre à six fois plus cher.

Par contre, le matériel américain pour la mer est très en avance sur le nôtre. Hélas! en France, la pêche semble vouée à la médiocrité. faute de poisson, faute de direction. On voit mieux cela à distance et par comparaison.

Une de mes premières sorties à Washington me conduisit donc dans un magasin d'articles de pêche. Quel choix. Quelle abondance. Des moulinets et des cannes à ne savoir qu'en faire. De toutes les couleurs, et de toutes les tailles, mais pas de tambour fixe. Je n'en croyais pas mes yeux. Il est vrai que, dans d'autres magasins, je devais en découvrir plusieurs : le Mitchell, l’Airex et deux suisses : le Monti et le Swiss-Whiz. Je constatai, par la suite, que les pêcheurs locaux utilisaient presque tous le moulinet axial pour le lancer lourd et léger. Mais quelles difficultés, quels déboires et que de temps passé à démêler les perruques quand le doigt ne venait pas freiner le fil à la seconde voulue. J'en is l'expérience à mes dépens. Certes, ces moulinets ont des qualités indéniables.

Avec leur frein réglable, l‘antiretour et le guide-fil (pour les plus chers), ils sont robustes et parfaits pour un pêcheur de carpes ou pour la pêche à la traîne. Mais lancer avec cela? Ah! non, merci. Où es-tu mon vieux Luxor-Suprême? Je n'arrivais pas à réaliser pourquoi ces gens, d'ordinaire si pratiques. se contentaient de pareils engins. Était-ce par goût ou par ignorance? Je n'allais guère tarder à le savoir.

A quelque temps de là, je fus invite par un ami français à une partie de pêche. Cet ami. plus avisé que moi, avait emporté de France tout son matériel de lancer léger, dont une canne et un tambour fixe d'excellente qualité. Le lieu de pêche était très fréquenté. et il ne nous fut pas possible de trouver un coin pas trop encombré.

Quote:
The French material for fishing, the light and ultra-light casting is superior to the American, I will say even nothing comparable with regard to the reel. To have an approaching quality, you would have to pay four to six times as much.

On the other hand, the American equipment for the sea is far ahead of ours. Alas! In France, fishing seems doomed to mediocrity. Lack of fish, lack of direction. You can see this more remotely and by comparison.

One of my first trips to Washington took me to a fishing shop. What choice. How abundant. Reels and rods that I don't know - what to do with them. Of all colors, and of all sizes, but no fixed drum. I couldn't believe my eyes. It is true that in other stores I discovered several: the Mitchell, the Aires and two Swiss: The Monti and the Swiss-Whiz. I later found that the local fishermen almost always used baitcasting reels to cast both heavy and light. But what difficulties, what setbacks and what time spent to unravel the wigs when the finger did not brake the line at the desired second. I'm experiencing it at my expense. Of course, these reels have undeniable qualities.

With their adjustable brake, backstop and line guide (for the most expensive), they are sturdy and perfect for a carp fisherman or for trolling. But cast with that? Ah! No thanks. Where are you, my old Luxor-supreme? I couldn't realize why these people, usually so practical, were content with such contraptions. Was it out of taste or ignorance? I was soon to find out.

Sometime ago, I was invited by a French friend to a fishing party. This friend, more wise than I, had brought from France all his light casting equipment, including a rod and a fixed drum of excellent quality. The fishing place was very busy. And it was not possible for us to find a corner not too crowded.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:04 am • #  

Hello Chris,
Your bookmark is the one following mine.
This suggests that there may have been others earlier or more recent than ours.
Another object of research

Hello John,
Very interesting article from the newspaper "La Pêche Indépendante".
A priori the French fisherman regretted his good old Luxor Supreme, one of the best French reel of this time.
For information, I enclose a photo of one of those of my collection, the oldest model, created in 1947.
Best regards,
Christian

Attachment:
luxor Supreme.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:01 am • #  

Laroupane, Thank you for your reply. It's an interesting look at Mitchell's excellent competition.

I went to this article because it shows the state of spin fishing in the US at the time (which also happens to be consistent with other sources). The fisherman laments the absence of spinning reels, even in a store with a huge selection, as well as a very busy fishing spot. However, there was already good news that a couple spinning reels, including the Mitchell, were present in another Washington, D.C. store.

John

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:28 am • #  

Attachment:
Garcia folder cover sm.jpg

Has anyone ever seen this Charles Garcia folder cover before and do you know what it is? (It was new to me.)

Folder and contents are coming in the mail to me. Based on some of the contents and a description of a folder written by a collector, I have a fairly good guess on what it is. But, I would like to learn if anyone has some certainty.

John

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:55 pm • #  

I have 1 like like. Early 50's I believe.
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:46 pm • #  

Hey Kim,

Yes, I agree.

I believe this is the cover of what amounts to be the 1952 Charles Garcia Catalog.

I found what Dan Hawks (fishawks) wrote about this in 2009 over at ORCA:
Early Garcia Annual and Catalog List

Most contents of my folder could be dated to 1952 or 1953, but there are some minor items that suggest 1952. I'm going by seller's photos. I'll post some better details once the folder arrives.

John

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:27 am • #  

Attachment:
5200 Garcia Folder front + back sm.jpg

Attachment:
5200 Garcia Folder inside sm.jpg

A is a list of contents is below (I can’t be certain something isn’t missing or wasn’t added later):

Mitchell Reel (3rd version) Manual

4¾ x 6½” sides
Mitchell Companion Rod x 2
Eelet
Pecos “880” & “881”
Fury
Maty
Plucky x 2
Virex
Voblex
Mitchell Monofil x 2
Platyl x 2

6½ x 9” sheets (double-sided; folded in half)
Rubber Imitations (Asbjørn Hørgård, Norway)
Swedish Lures (ABU)
Agate Guides
Agate Guide Pricelist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:33 am • #  

Attachment:
5200 Garcia Folder Companion Rod front sm.jpg

Attachment:
5200 Garcia Folder Companion Rod back sm.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:35 am • #  

Attachment:
5200 Garcia Folder Asbjørn Hørgård front sm.jpg

Attachment:
5200 Garcia Folder Asbjørn Hørgård back sm.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:36 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

After a long week out of town, I got home late last night to find this waiting for me :clap . I have no idea of the years available but I think this is from the mid 1960s to early 1970s. I've never seen one before so I thought I'd share with the group.
Attachment:
Garcia Pencil-Pen.jpg

Attachment:
Garcia Pencil-Pen 1.jpg

Attachment:
Garcia Pencil-Pen 2.jpg

The pencil works and has the larger lead stick vice the newer 0.5 mm lead sticks. The pen doesn't work (not surprisingly). It's in very nice condition and quite slender - a nice addition to my collection I think. :sHa_yes:

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:04 pm • #  

Hi Chris,
I really like the pencil-pen and agree a nice addition to your collection. Thanks for sharing with us, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:07 pm • #  

Hi Guys, I just joined up to ask some Q's about 3 different 300's I have. But saw the GM pics and thought to thro a few at ya.

Enjoy!!

Jim

Ps, I found these two items today in the fish box that I'm looking to sell - alas the lube was empty.

These are not multiple items but a few shots of each.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:11 pm • #  

Hi Guys, I just joined up to ask some Q's about 3 different 300's I have. But saw the GM pics and thought to thro a few at ya.

Enjoy!!

Jim

Ps, I found these two items today in the fish box that I'm looking to sell - alas the lube was empty.

These are not multiples but a few shots of each.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:43 pm • #  

cshannon772 wrote:
Hi Mates, "Found on Page 6 this topic"

…...My other pin is an ARCA. ARCA was the exclusive distributor of Mitchell reels in Belgium during the 1960s thru 1980s. I have a number of various models of ARCA Mitchell reels in my collection.
Attachment:
Pins.jpg

Just a couple of other pieces of Mitchell history.

Regards,
Chris

Hi mates, recently received this pin from a seller in France. Another ARCA advertising pin. I have no ARCA Mitchell reels myself. Enjoy the pic.

Best regards, Dennis2149

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next   Page 9 of 10   [ 277 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply