Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next   Page 8 of 10   [ 277 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:05 pm • #  

Hello Kim,

In my opinion it is a handle to screw but no shure, the reel is a drawing not a picture. I think drawing (Mitchell on the top of the lid)
Best regards,
Christian

Attachment:
300KIT75.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:40 pm • #  

Ted Lanham wrote:
Dennis2149,

I don't have any Mitchell signs, but I dream of having one, sometimes. :sSa_sadeyes: Maybe, Chris Shannon.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

Nope :sSa_sadeyes: :sSa_sadeyes: me either Ted...….But I'm always working on it :tup

Laroupane,
That is an amazing find - Congratulations!

Regards,
Chris

P.S. Found a few new additions recently - posting soon!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:52 pm • #  
Global Moderator

hello mates,

Maybe I had it posted before but here is the Dutch one
Attachment:
IMG_0351.JPG

regards Dries

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:27 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Dries, Chris,
Thanks, for keeping this string alive. It has been a real pleasure seeing this Albatross sign and all the other various items that the mates have posted.
I feel truly privileged to have viewed all the Mitchell items that I would have never seen any other way.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:55 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Dries, a great sign, in wonderful condition and a fantastic find. I believe that is the older European Fish/Reel as found depicted on the Mitchell reel packaging but do you know it's age? Perhaps 1960s? I'm certain very rare - Thank you for sharing.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:17 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

I recently added a "Lifetime" supply of Garcia Reel Lube to my collection.
Attachment:
Reel Lube.jpg

Attachment:
Reel Lube 1.jpg

I believe this was a dealer package from the mid 1970s based on the labeling of the box and packages. I've never seen these before so it's a nice addition.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:19 pm • #  

OOps, I meant to say that I've never seen this box with 12 cards of grease tubes before. :blush

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:34 pm • #  

Cool sign Dries. Looks to be an early 330 otomatic with spring loaded handle. Chris, I have the same box with lube and opened 1 tube of it to service my reels. Less than 12 so I thought I'd take the plunge. Seems to do a really nice job.........
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:13 pm • #  

Thanks Kim,
I've never tried the reel lube in either the old Garcia (White/Gold/Black) tube or the newer Garcia (Red/Black/White) tube. I would imagine though that if the grease was engineered for these reels, it should be pretty good. If I recall correctly, both tubes contain a clear/opaque grease? I do love the total package though - great finds.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:59 am • #  

Hi Mates,
Great Garcia/Mitchell/CAP finds. I've not had any new finds to contribute lately. This thread, as many on our forum, has widened my knowledge base and increased my interest toward our hobby. Another thanks to all of you for sharing your great items and informed comments with all of us.

With best regards,
Dennis2149

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:48 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Mates,

One of the rare Mitchell signs I have is this one
Attachment:
IMG_0115.JPG

regards

Dries

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:15 pm • #  

Hello Dries,

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! But then again, you knew I would. A very nice sign which I've never seen before. Translates to "Quiet and Lightweight" if I'm correct. This is a great thread that has allowed me to see Mitchell items that I never knew existed - very educational. :tup Thanks Mates.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:52 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Here's another Garcia Item that I've recently received but never knew existed. A bulk line dispenser for Platyl line. Judging from the markings, I would date it to the early-mid 1970s.
Attachment:
Bulk Line.jpg

Attachment:
Bulk Line 1.jpg

Attachment:
Bulk Line 2.jpg

I particularly like the window in the top of the dispenser to see how much line is left and the brass grommet on the end of the box to allow the line to be cranked directly onto the reel.

My concern though is the way the line comes off the bulk line spool and is added to the reel spool. With a spinning reel, I always take the line off the bulk spool from the side vice the front of the bulk spool.... Thoughts??

This box, spool and line is in very good condition and a great addition to the collection. As always, questions and comments are welcome.
Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:18 am • #  

Hi Chris,
Cool Bulk Line Dispenser. Another great addition to your collection. Rare and seldom seen item. Congrats.
Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:43 pm • #  

Nice to know their a still good people out their! I stopped to see a flea market vendor I deal with. He didn't have any reels for me. But handed me these booklets, and said give em a home. So I guess I build a frame, and put them behind glass. I know that they aren't rare, it's the thought that counts.

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:45 pm • #  

And this one.

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:03 pm • #  

A Couple of spools of Platil

Attachment:
DSCF8203_edited.jpg
Attachment:
DSCF8202_edited.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:46 pm • #  

Hi ljm183,
Nice pics of the Platil Spools. I especially like the container in the 2nd pic. Thanks for posting.
Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:45 pm • #  

Hello Mates,

Been a while since this thread has popped to the top so I thought I'd add. I have absolutely no idea of the history of these bags but I believe they are "newer old" Mitchell - probably of the Mitchell Sports era.
Attachment:
CAP Mitchell Bags.jpg

I've checked my records and unfortunately, I can't even remember where I acquired them but definitely from Europe. The large one on the right is similar in size to the current grocery store plastic bag of today. The one on the left is much smaller and has a green string closure - probably should have put a piece of paper in that bag to make the graphics clearer :blush . Both in perfect condition.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:11 pm • #  

I agree Chris, the newer Mitchell logo gives it away. Maybe they wanted to combine old with new????
Kim :tup :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:07 am • #  

Hello,
Chris and Kim, the bag with green string closure is in my opinion a bag to put water for fish bought from the merchant to fish pike (I seem to have read on my documents but where !!!).

I have an envelope dated July 20, 1983 with the logo CAP and MITCHELL as on this bag.

Attached photo
Best regards,
Christian

Attachment:
LETTRE CAP.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:15 pm • #  

Dennis you have wonderful collection of vintage material ~ I have a very old 304 CAP as well as an old 300 ~ I have a chap who repairs all makes of reels & repairs fly rod aand every thing in between ~ what parts are rare for 304 CAP? Maybe I should buy out his stock of items which might not be much. The 304 used different capacity spools I think there were at least two types which I have ~ more comment please on aquiring 304/300 parts for furture repairs & refurbishing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:03 pm • #  

Hello Hedgerhog,
Thanks for the collection complement. There are other mates with more knowledge than I as it relates to the early CAP and 304's. However, anytime you can obtain vintage Mitchell and CAP Reel parts, especially "New Old Stock" parts for a good price it can be worth stocking up on. Glad you joined into this thread.

Hi Chris,

I like those bags with the Mitchell and CAP logo's. Christian's dated envelope helps to narrow down the era.

Best regards mates, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:41 am • #  

Hello,
My latest acquisition, a Carpano & Pons envelope with the Mitchell postmark. It was posted on October 25, 1956.
On the postmark, a Mitchell reel with indication "Mitchell MAGICIAN OF FISHING"
This is the oldest envelope I have found.

Best regards,
Christian
Attachment:
Enveloppe Mitchell.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:03 pm • #  

Hello Mates,

Merry Christmas!! Santa brought me this Garcia bolo tie, new in the box with a Mitchell 300 in the disc/slide.
Attachment:
Garcia Bolo.jpg

Attachment:
Garcia Bolo 1.jpg

I believe this piece dates to around 1965 as that is the first time it's advertised in the Garcia Fishing Tackle Catalog.
While I'm not particularly a bolo type of guy :eek , it is a nice piece for the collection which I thought I'd share.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:29 pm • #  

Excellent addition Chris. Have seen them advertised but never an actual one. Looks Fantastic!!!!!!!
Kim

Maybe we should start a jewelry section for Garcia & Mitchell??

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:30 pm • #  

Hi Chris,
Santa treated you well. I've not seen that jewelry piece before. I like it. Thanks for sharing with us and thanks for putting this topic back on top. Over 65,000 views and still going strong.

Merry Christmas Mitchell Mates, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:38 pm • #  

Hi Kim and Dennis,
Thank you for the kind comments on the Bolo Tie.

Mates, I just received this book, Mitchell Vintage Fishing Reel Schematics - Study Guide published in 2008 by Wallace. It is in excellent condition and is a wealth of information, containing all of the schematics/changes for each Mitchell reel model, a parts cross reference for the old up to 3 digit part numbers and a production numbers sheet for all of the Mitchell reel models.
Attachment:
Schematics Book.jpg

Attachment:
Schematics Book 1.jpg

Attachment:
Schematics Book 2.jpg

I have a passion for Mitchell documentation and have a sizeable library but was not aware that this book existed. If you can find one, I highly recommend grabbing it - an excellent reference :tup . I think we need a Mitchell Reference Material Thread so I'll get one started in the next few days with my Library and hopefully other Mates will add to it.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:45 pm • #  

Happy New Year Chris,
Very nice addition to your Mitchell Library. I would like to find one as well. Congrats and best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:52 am • #  

Chris,
Your new book Mitchell Vintage Fishing Reel Schematics - Study Guide published in 2008 by Wallace Carney is a fantastic find. I had never heard of it before and will probably be searching for one for years to come! :sBo_bounce2:

Thanks so much for sharing.. :sHa_okay:

Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next   Page 8 of 10   [ 277 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply