Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:57 pm • #  

Hello Mates,

I recently received this New in the Box, Mitchell Sports, 50th Anniversary Mitchell 300. I have been looking for the right one of these reels for quite some time even though I don't collect the raised letter Mitchells and certainly not the "Taiwan" Mitchells. This reel is so different that I found it attractive for my collection.
Attachment:
50th Anniversary Silver 300.jpg

Attachment:
50th Anniversary Silver 300 1.jpg

Attachment:
50th Anniversary Silver 300 2.jpg

The reel was only made in 1997 and is the European distribution version of the 50th Anniversary Mitchell 300. It's in the original box which is interesting in itself. The reel depicted on the box is a black Mitchell Sports Mitchell 300 but the "Free Extra Spool" and "300 Century...." are stickers added to the box. The North American distribution version was black and came in a plastic "blister" packaging. From what I could find out, there weren't many of these made and this one is perfect - which is the primary reason I purchased it from a seller in France. There is no serial number and no "made in Taiwan" on the reel. The metallic silver paint is stunning (to me anyway ::) ) and the decals/markings are perfect. I have no desire to enter the anniversary argument or dating of Mitchell reels but I can't explain why they called this reel a "300 Century" when it's celebrating 50 years of the Mitchell 300 :sCo_huhsign: . Still a pretty cool addition to the collection. Thoughts and opinions are always welcome Mates.

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:10 pm • #  

Chris, gorgeous package and great example of that reel....thanks for sharing the photos and details...expanding into badged reels may indicate you don't have many holes to fill in your traditional Mitchell collection...in fact, you may need another room for your raised Letter collection....I too, can't understand the "Century" marketing...perhaps to reference "to last a century"....maybe a Frenchman would have better insight...

Nice add,
Sandman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:38 pm • #  

:sFun_rofl: :sFun_rofl: Thanks Sandman. Very perceptive that my last few posts have been of the "badged Mitchells". I guess I'm "broadening my horizons" as my original wish list is down to a few (about 10) Mitchell's to fill out my collection. Of course there are always those - Got to have that one - reels that pop up now and again. Thinking about the GM 800 series lately but I like the way you think with the addition of another reel room :sHa_okay:

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:58 am • #  

Hey Chris, yes, the 800 series would be fun, interesting and challenging...not to mention some of the 900 series like the 907 and 909...these badged series reels may be underrated (and valued), as some are not only quite rare, but well engineered, since many of the updates were born from years of learnings from their predecessors.

As for me, I'm not quite there yet, as my traditional short list is still a bit longer than yours...

Sandman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:43 am • #  

Great looking real Chris. It matches Dennis Roberts description in his book Mitchell collectors value Guide on page 55. Also in his write-up for the North American distribution it was a standard black 300 model in the plastic pack. That was distributed by Johnson World Associates but there was no 50th Anniversary markings on the reel. Dennis does note that Mitchell Sports of France offered your reel to the USA in the clear plastic package. One thing I noticed between the two reels is is yours has a bronze spool. Where as the one in the clear package has a black spool painted a dark metalic color.
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :sSig_nicethread:
After looking at your spool and the one in my package I would say they are the same color. The light in your photo makes it look bronze.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:38 pm • #  

CDSAND7640 wrote:
...not to mention some of the 900 series like the 907 and 909...these badged series reels may be underrated (and valued)...

Sandman

I just purchased a Garcia Mitchell 900 including the box and according to the info I found here on the Mitchell Museum site the 900's that were made with the Garcia logo on them were only made during a short period in 1977. They were manufactured in France.

This is what I found here in the Gallery section on the 900:
"...the most rare Garcia Mitchell 900 only produced for a very short time in 1977 prior to Garcia's closing in 1978."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:27 pm • #  

Great pics Chris, thanks for posting. Does anyone have a pic of the USA equivalent? Would be great to see the two of them.

Regards,
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:39 am • #  

I typed in Mitchell Anniversary 50th reel. Here is a picture of plain version. NA distribution.
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mitchel ... 2879523079

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply