Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:15 am • #  
Administrator

Dear Mitchell Mates,

The question "What's My Mitchell Reel Worth?" is asked daily. It appears to come mostly from people wanting to sell it or from others who think they just found a fortune. Some ask just out of curiosity and still others want to know if it's a family heirloom. I'm sure this question is also asked just to find out if the reel is "worth" fishing with.

Depending on their motives; some I feel compelled to TRY to give an honest answer. For those who know; this is almost impossible to answer. Even the reels I have in hand are questionable as to their value. Everything depends on the factors mentioned in the 2 Articles regarding values. Other than the current economic crises; finding the right buyer in the right country is the biggest determining factor by far! I've always hated sending them to these articles appearing to brush them off which was not my intent.

To help those who ask this question and are not satisfied with the articles; I've opened up this topic for people to get opinions about their specific reel. Please click on reply (not Quick reply) and in the "Title" give the name of your reel i.e "Garcia Mitchell 410 in Box" as an example.

Kind Regards,
Wallace

"Please know there are very few common Mitchell reels valued over $300 USD that are Mint in Box"

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:18 am • #  

I am trying to find the value of an old reel I have. It is a Garcia Mitchell 406. On the box it shows the former code no. 1196. The reel is still in the original box with all the papers. The reel has never been used. Do you have any idea of the value of the reel. Thank, JW

"Postings from emails to the Mitchell Reel Museum"

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:31 am • #  
Administrator

Hello JW,

The 406 is a very popular fishing reel by many anglers around the world. A first version 406 will be more valuable than the rest. To tell an early release of the 1st version; simply try (gently) to open the bail from the 12 o'clock high position (straight up) and if the bail Trip Lever prevents you from doing this from this position, it's the rarest 1st version. That was a big design flaw unknown by most people. You can read more about the first version 406 by clicking HERE.

My opinion only is:

1st version 1st release MIB $300 to $400
1st Version 2nd release MIB $250 to $325
All other versions MIB $175 to $250

Regards, Wallace

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply