Mitchell Reel Model Size Comparison

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
whiskeyjack

Mitchell Reel Model Size Comparison

Post by whiskeyjack »

Howdy:
I'm apparently collecting Mitchell reels. It started in Florida with a 300, a 302 and a 306. Now I've got about six 300's, one 300A, a 330, a couple 308's and a 408. My problem is that I've taken a liking to the torpedo handles on these reels but they don't all have 'em. And, handles are not interchangeable due to connectivity differences. For example, threaded male shaft on the 302 handle will not fit a 308 or 408 reel: too big. So, since the model number sequence on these reels make no sense to me and seems to have no bearing on the size of the reel, might there be a size comparison chart somewhere that would show the relative sizes of these things.

Thanks for any help.

piscesman

Re: Mitchell Reel Model Size Comparison

Post by piscesman »

Welcome to the club.... There is a chart for sizes and uses plus line capacity for each reel. Unfortunately, I have only seen them in Garcia annuals. Garcia had annuals from early 1960's to 1980's for the Mitchell reels. Full of information and what was available to purchase that year so to speak. They regularly seen on E**y. Depending on the year certain reels appear listed and others aren't. Hope this helps........
Kim

PS- When you purchased the reel new paperwork came with it and gives you general knowledge of that reel.

whiskeyjack

Post by whiskeyjack »

Hey, thanks for that. I guess I'll have to look on the auction cites then....

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Whiskeyjack,
Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum Forum. :text-welcomeconfetti:

I can probably help you with part of your problem. All of the handles for the 300, 300A, and 330 models are interchangeable, but watch out for the handles that go on the left handed models 301, 301A, and 331. The threads on the right hand wind reels (LH) are cut in the opposite direction than the left hand wind models(RH) so they are not interchangeable. Garcia offered the torpedo handles as an accessory in the USA (not sure about other countries) and were sold separately.

Click on this link to view a chart I posted recently which might be of interest as well. Open link and scroll down until you see the multi color chart. :banana-dance:
https://mitchellreelmuseum.com/forum/vi ... 6ad658d79b

Hope this helps,
Kind Regards,
Bill :D