reel noise

Discussions on How to Service Your Mitchell Reel and more...
richie7799us

reel noise

Post by richie7799us »

Sirs, I have a couple of Mitchell reels that make noise while rotating the reel. I have tried to make the reel quieter. Does anyone know what can be done to make them quieter?

Thank you,

don309

Re: reel noise

Post by don309 »

If your referring to the clicking of a Mitchell. You can grease the A/R dog and gear.
Haven't heard of anyone want to stop the clicking.

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
allansharkey

Post by allansharkey »

Hi, I use three 300 reels and the anti reverse (AR) clicking not only irritated me but also other fisherman close by, modern reels more often than not are silent, not everyone finds the AR clicking noise pleasant. I changed to three 400 roller bearing reels as they have a silent AR as standard so does some 300S reels 440A and late 300 and 300A reels, on some reels its a standard or a optional fit, you do not say what reels you have, the silent AR can be fitted to most egg shaped Mitchell reels, that involves removing the black, or white AR and replacing it with a silent AR you have to fit a brass spacer and change the transfer gear, these parts are normally available on eBay, good luck Allan

richie7799us

Post by richie7799us »

Sirs, I am sorry about my explanation. It is not the A/R. I think it has something to do with the baffle plate. But when I take off the spool, it gets louder. I really appreciate your opinion, you guys are pros. Thank you for trying to help me out.

don309

Post by don309 »

I myself like the clicking, of the Mitchell. As some know I paint reel with a lot of missing paint, and not to original color. I like when someone says "is that a Mitchell your using never saw one like that" I just say and you never will, with a smile.

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
Ted Lanham

Post by Ted Lanham »

richie7799us,
Have you had these reels for a while? If so, did they just start making the noise. If you just picked them up, it's possible some of the bushings may be missing that are found under the baffle plate. Actually, I used the wrong word here. Instead of "bushings", I should have used the word "shims".

Regards,
Ted Lanham

Schrack

Post by Schrack »

Sound like you need to shim it up, over time it wears . Plate is striking trip lever. 81012
Does Rotating head have any lateral movement?
Other possibility is the shim under rotating Head is gone or needs shimed. 81024
If you look at schematics you will see shims.
81024, (under head) 81012 (under plate up to 3).
These both come in different thickness.
Normally 3 shims are under baffle plate. ( could be none)
Just keep in order the shims that you take out.
I have not been reluctant to shim reels.
Denver if it don' t work put it back the configuration it was at start.