Mitchell 300 Dating

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
Cammo2go

Mitchell 300 Dating

Post by Cammo2go »

Hi there,

I've come across a very shabby 300 reel that has brass screws for the side plates and the Mitchell name is above the handle and appears upside down,any ideas?
Cheers.

piscesman

Re: Mitchell 300 Dating

Post by piscesman »

If you are holding the reel with the foot in the air is the handle on the right or left side? If the handle is on the right side, then it is a "301" and fairly common. There should be a serial number but not under the foot. Opposite side of the handle at the top of the body there should be a numbers and letter stamped there. Mitchell did make brass chrome plated screws for the earlier reels'
Kim

Cammo2go

Post by Cammo2go »

Thanks for that,

Holding the reel with the foot in the air the handle is on the right,Mitchell script is above the winder and appears to be upside dow,I have 2 other 300/301's and whilst they are right hand wind the Mitchell script is below the handle and right way up.

piscesman

Post by piscesman »

According to Dennis Roberts Value Guide, 1950 was the 1st year of left-handed Mitchells. The engraving on the plate is an upside-down Mitchell. This was for the 1/2 bail with metal handle. Then when Mitchell was able to manufacture a full bail due to the copyright on the full bail running out the engraving was still upside-down AND the yellow sticker as well. Circa 1953/54.
Kim

Cammo2go

Post by Cammo2go »

Might be an early version,the rotor does not have the square plinth where the bail arm attaches and I can't find a serial number.

piscesman

Post by piscesman »

The earlier Mitchells had the serial number stamped on the opposite side of the handle on the body. The top portion outer side.
Kim