Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Styrofoam Inserts
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:26 am • #  

Hello Mates-We all know that the 6th version, 1st and 2nd release box for the GM300 came with a yellow styrofoam insert.I have a 6th version box with a WHITE styrofoam insert with shiny yellow paper glued to the foam.Serial# on box is 5 340984.Do I have something rare or do I have somebodies homemade attempt at replacing a missing insert?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:31 am • #  
Global Moderator

That is something I have never seen but perhaps others have, does it look homemade?
Regards Roy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:36 am • #  
Administrator

Hello Mates,

I've seen several of these and still have one. At first I thought it was homemade until I kept finding them all the same. The yellow "paper" is almost like a thin plastic film, is yours?

Cheers, Wallace Image

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:57 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Wallace
Were all the ones you found close to this serial number?
Regards Roy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:45 pm • #  
Administrator

Roy, Box serial number 5111250 matches to reel.

Mike, I was wrong, the paper is not "plastic" but just shiny paper as you stated! Image

I'm not going to say these are authentic, but it appears so, what do you think about yours Mike?

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:18 pm • #  

Hello Mates-Yes ,this is exactly what I have .The "grain" of the foam is not as dense as the yellow but it seemed like the die marks matched.It sure looked real.I was not so concerned about rarity as I was about authenticity.Thanks for setting my mind at ease.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:35 pm • #  
Global Moderator

I also think it is genuine, for this reason.

Although I have never tried to make a styrofoam insert for a reel, some time back I was using some similar material for packing components in a crate for export. I found it impossible to get a neat cut with a saw or a knife, it just crumbled and looked awful. I think you would need an expensive press tool with very sharp edges to produce clean cut edges like this has.

Just my thoughts, Roy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:35 pm • #  

Hello All,
I think Styrofoam is cut with a heated wire. Not certain though.
Regards, Jim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:40 pm • #  
Global Moderator

You could well be right there Jim, it's not something that's not easily "home made" which ever way you look at it.

Looking at the serial numbers quoted here, these reels date from 1963/64 which was, I believe, the first year that these styrofoam inserts were used. So was this white material with yellow paper the first attempt? Or did they start with the yellow and try this soon after for some reason? Perhaps a shortage of the yellow styrofoam for a brief period required some drastic action to keep the production lines rolling.

Kind regards Roy

Last edited by anonymous on Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:45 am • #  
Administrator

Hello Mates,

In looking at the ones I have; it is obvious they were formed in a (mold) cast. Styrofoam in liquid form can easily be colored with dye and then in layman's terms; squirted into the cast. Whenever this is done it leaves a common / consistent casting mark, at least back then, until the "mold" is changed.

Since several of these in white with yellow paper have been found, Roy has a good point; were these the first attempt?

Cheers, Wallace

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:23 am • #  
Administrator

Hello Mitchell Mates, below is an example of a Home Made yellow insert. The Styrofoam is 3/4" white, couldn't find yellow, spray painted with a silicon base paint which has taken well over a year to cure and not be sticky. Of course these boxes came originally with molded yellow plastic trays ONLY which is difficult to find not broken. This is what I use to give my good homeless reels a secure nest. Works okay but never as good as original.

A prototype was made from balsa wood, scanned and placed in an auto-cad program which costs thousands of dollars PLUS only cad designers are able to use this very complicated program. After the scan was given exact measurements (I thought!!!); foam was placed in a computer operated machine that cuts out whatever the 3-D cad image shows. The man who owns this machine normally uses it for cutting metal (aluminum) and sometimes wood for making casts. This was his first and late time he used foam, what a mess!!!!

ImageImage

After Market Part! My Bad? Image

Wallace

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply