Using a half bail

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
Pratt2112

Using a half bail

Post by Pratt2112 »

Hi, Looking for video links or group discussion regarding how to properly use a Mitchell half bail. I have two dozen Mitchell 300's and recently added a half bail. I must admit, I don't quite get it. Sorry if this seems trivial. Thanks and I look forward to the responses.

Scott

Bonanza

Re: Using a half bail

Post by Bonanza »

Hi Scott,

1/2 bail operation is very simple and almost the same as a full bail. In a full bail you flip the bail wire to cast, turn handle to flip bail wire closed to retrieve. In a 1/2 bail you use your thumb or an index finger to push/rotate the knurled/grooved base of the bail wire where it is attached to the rotor cup. When moving the 1/2 bail wire opens up to cast. If the 1/2 bail is working correctly as soon as you turn the handle to retrieve the 1/2 bail wire should close allowing line to be picked up. I hope this is clear 👍
Kind Regards, Scott

linewinder

Post by linewinder »

Bonanza

Post by Bonanza »

Good video :text-bravo:
Nice to see the video capture what I provided
Thank you
Kind Regards, Scott

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Pratt2112,
Could you be a little more specific as far as what you do not understand?
Kind Regards,
Bill :D

Pratt2112

Post by Pratt2112 »

Makes sense now. I wasn't attempting a cast with the anti reverse OFF. I now see you need to open bail and back off a bit in order to do so. Thanks to all who responded!

Scott