408 is for me now

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
don309

408 is for me now

Post by don309 »

As many of the guy's here know I'm a 204 & 308 guy. A few weeks ago I acquires a 408 and refurbished it. I did a quick test to see how the high speed 408 compared to the 308. I found that after 1 1/2 turns the 408 retrieved approximately 6" faster. After fishing the 408 this past week, I'm sold on it. I do mostly trout fishing on streams, I found that controlling my small lures is much better with the 408. Of course the prices for these reels is outrageous on ebay!!! However I did find another from my flea market guy, at a very good price. This reel is another candidate for a paint job come spring. I also bought a set of gears (pinion and main) to convert a 308 to 408 (thanks to Sandman's input). So at 70 years of age, I think 3 reels is enough for me to fish. So the other 16, 204 and 308"s will get a new home to the young anglers I see on the water as usual with a rod. I didn't see many young enthusiast this year, so I only gave 1 rig away this year.

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
Schrack

Re: 408 is for me now

Post by Schrack »

I gave 2 away, have a soft spot for the Guys who are into fishing , but can not afford a good Rig.
One kid that frequents my favorite spot, gave him a nice 300 along with a good pole, was not the thanks but, the look on his face when he is fishing.
See us old Guys have a heart somewhere.