unusual serial # on 440A

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
RobWilliams

unusual serial # on 440A

Post by RobWilliams »

Hi, can anyone shed light on serial number S-5-12 as found on a black Mitchell Match 440A? I've not encountered a mitchell serial number in this configuration before.

Thanks

GreatLaker

Re: unusual serial # on 440A

Post by GreatLaker »

Hello Rob, Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum (MRM) :text-welcomeconfetti:
RobWilliams wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:35 pm Hi, can anyone shed light on serial number S-5-12 as found on a black Mitchell Match 440A? I've not encountered a mitchell serial number in this configuration before.
Thanks
Hi Rob,
In a nutshell: you probably know that Mitchell changed it's serial numbering system several times. You probably also know that Garcia was the distributor for Mitchell reels in the U.S. for many years. Then, in 1978, Garcia went bankrupt. Browning took over distribution in the US in 1980 and they (Browning) kept the same serial number format, which had a Letter prefix followed by six numbers. Browning dropped out around 1983 and Mitchell Sports took over distribution in the US. Many reels, especially the "A" reels changed to the format on your reel around 1984 under Mitchell Sports. This format continued, but did vary somewhat with various comma's, dashes, and periods between the numbers, until the end of serial numbers in 1989-90.

Your reel dates to around 1987.
Kind Regards,
Bill

RobWilliams

Post by RobWilliams »

Thank you very much for that comprehensive reply, Bill. Much appreciated. I'm still trying to get to grips with all the twists and turns in the Mitchell legacy.
Best regards,
Rob

Wallace Carney

Post by Wallace Carney »

Hi Bill, you always amaze me with your knowledge of all things, Mitchell! You should write a book! Lol

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Wallace,
Thank you for those kind words and the vast majority of what I have learned is thanks to you.
Kind Regards,
Bill