First serial Number

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
Simone Baschirotto

First serial Number

Post by Simone Baschirotto »

Personally I had never seen an early 1000 serial number in a Mitchell, as I have never seen an early 500 Salt Water.
Now I have seen this A00248. (It is a 301 type right hand crank reel)
I want to ask you collectors..

Do you have serial numbers earlier than this A00248?

,I want to understand the lowest known number and see some mechanical characteristics. :text-thankyouyellow:
Attachments
IMG_20230829_192834.jpg
IMG_20230829_192834.jpg (122.2 KiB) Viewed 28560 times

GreatLaker

Re: First serial Number

Post by GreatLaker »

Simone,
My earliest is A04173. The majority of my 3rd version reels do not have a serial number.
Kind Regards,
Bill

Bailarm

Post by Bailarm »

That's a great find and is the earliest serial number yet found, I believe. Well done.

It was most likely stamped on the very first day of serial number usage early in 1952, which would make it 71 years old!

Wow!!

}<)))'> Bailarm
Bailarm

Post by Bailarm »

Bailarm wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:37 am That's a great find and is the earliest serial number yet found, I believe. Well done.

It was most likely stamped on the very first day of serial number usage early in 1952, which would make it 71 years old!

Wow!!
Incidentally, it cost $29.25 in the US, 50cents more than the left hand wind reel! It would have come in a bright red box, maybe that's what cost the extra?

}<)))'> Bailarm
Simone Baschirotto

Bailarm wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:37 am That's a great find and is the earliest serial number yet found, I believe. Well done.

Wow!!

Simone Baschirotto

thanks for your answer, I know you are a great expert and passionate about details.
I too often concentrate on these objects which perhaps do not have an economic value but are very important from a historical point of view.
This is the kind of object that is useful when writing a book.
I didn't expect to find this number in a Mitchell for a left handed angler.
It seems that besides me no one was interested in this fishing reel that appeared on ebay.
I'm a little sorry for this, maybe today we focus too much on objects of common interest and we don't focus on important objects.

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

I believe that no Mitchell expert noticed it on ebay. not that i am a connoisseur, my collection is for fishing.

G. Glen Simpson

Dartmoth, Nova Scotia

Simone Baschirotto

Thanks Glen for your comment! :text-thankyouyellow:
As you said, Mitchell went to eBay from Princeville.
I also love Mitchell for use, some versions have found exceptional quality in certain periods.
I also love Mitchell because when you use him it's different from anything else, he has a very strong personality.
Today everything seems the same.
Nowadays, few of us enjoy an object that... for some reason we consider special.
I have some very nice Mitchells, they have good economic value for Mitchell fans.
But this is the type of object I like, as soon as I saw that number I wanted to have it and study it closely.
It's nothing special in a showcase, if you use it it's no different from others built before and after.
It's special to me.
Collecting is a disease in some cases, but I believe that in life the important thing is emotions, wherever a person finds them.
For me, after family, friends, fishing... after these things comes the hobby for old fishing tackle.
I hope what I tried to google translate is largely understandable😅

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Simon,

I agree with everything that you say in your post.

Glen

D"accord avec tout.

JohnEboy

Post by JohnEboy »

Thats an incredible find . Such a low serial number. Well spotted .
John