Mitchell 782 Graphite - Drag Lube?

Discussions on How to Service Your Mitchell Reel and more...
Jim

Mitchell 782 Graphite - Drag Lube?

Post by Jim »

Hi Gents,

I am the original owner of a Mitchell 782 Graphite Reel. It was the first Mooching Reel I ever bought to use chasing Salmon here in the Pacific Northwest. I loved it. I used it for only a couple seasons before my buddies (who all have boats) told me to leave my gear at home and use theirs. Of course I didn't want to say no, especially when their gear was Islander Reels on custom Sage Rod blanks.

Another one of my buddies who bought a Hewes Sea Runner 201 HT a couple years back wants to go chasing some Pinks up Indian Arm in a few weeks as the first Salmon fishing from his boat, so I thought I'd take the 782 out from it's hibernation and get it ready for use. I know it's been a long sleep for this reel, but I just took it apart and it looks great.

However, the drag fiber washers (C84809) were stuck to their corresponding brass washers (C84810 & C84806) after all these years, but nothing my fingernail couldn't pop loose. I can't find what Lube I should put on these washers so the drag will be smooth again - just like it was when it was new.

Do you have any advise?

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,

Jim 8-)

jtwill98

Re: Mitchell 782 Graphite - Drag Lube?

Post by jtwill98 »

Any teflon based drag grease will probably work. I hear good reviews on using Cal's purple drag or Shimano's drag grease. I don't have any experience myself, just what I've read at orca, alantani and fishingtalk site/forums.

Ed Horan

Re: Mitchell 782 Graphite - Drag Lube?

Post by Ed Horan »

I use Cal's drag grease from Mystic Parts ( https://www.mysticparts.com/.) Packaged for the hobbyist in small containers, so you don't have to purchase a pound of the stuff.