Christmas rebuild.

Discussions on How to Service Your Mitchell Reel and more...
FusilDarne

Christmas rebuild.

Post by FusilDarne »

I had some time on Christmas Day to putter in the shop:

After and before. Why a 50 year old reel doesn’t have any lube inside it is beyond me. It also needed a second pinion shim to run really, really, nice.

Hope you guys had a great holiday!

Ted

piscesman

Re: Christmas rebuild.

Post by piscesman »

Looks Great Ted. From looking at the pictures is your reel color black or midnight blue?? Big difference.
Kim

And yes, why no lube unless someone was smarter than Mitchell engineers?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FusilDarne

Post by FusilDarne »

It is a blue reel. Nothing special, 1971 build A prefix. But, it is a lefty, and none of my friends will try to borrow it! :banana-angel: I really wanted one in about 1975, but, Target only had right handed 440s, so, I had to wait until a used one showed up. Girls, cars, motorcycles, jobs and other things kept me using my little 301 for a long time.

I was shocked at how little lube was in that reel.

Ted

piscesman

Post by piscesman »

A good quality lube in the proper places is all you need. Especially when you service them every year you don't need to overdo it.
Kim

FusilDarne

Post by FusilDarne »

Well, I went through my 441, my Dad’s 440, my 301, my Dad’s 300, and little brother’s 300, that had the foot broken of the body about 30 years ago, and sat wrapped in an oily rag in a cabinet in my dad’s shop. I found a used body on the ‘bay, and can now put that reel back in service. That reel has had very little use in the last forty years. Still acts “new”, tight, crisp, smooth. The 1960 300 has hints of being a better reel, chromed internal components, perhaps the Teflon washers in the later model spools is a good improvement, however. The smoothest reel is my 441, hands down. Dad’s 440 is at the bottom, but, my Dad used it a lot. At the bottom, in this case, still means it is far better than most of the non-Mitchell reels around here. The only thing close out of the Daiwas, Shimanos, Pfuegers,and whatnot, is a Quick DAM 630 Exquisite with the magnetic drag. I’d still rather fish a Mitchell. The 630s are few and far between, anyway.
I figured pictures of all the old reels would be overkill.

Happy New Year, to all.

Ted