Unresolved issue with 330

Discussions on How to Service Your Mitchell Reel and more...
Lucky

Unresolved issue with 330

Post by Lucky »

I replaced the rotating head of a 1969 Mitchell 300 with one from a 1964 330. Now the spools are filling up top heavy. Not sure I can fix the issue and may have to abandon the project. Any advice? I am on the middle of tearing it down one last time. Will be gutting both reels and swapping all parts, spacers, washers, oscillation slide, axle and cover plate.

Life is an adventure. Enjoy life!
allansharkey

Re: Unresolved issue with 330

Post by allansharkey »

Hi, the 330 and 300 are different reel sizes although they look the same, the 330 has a different length front spindle ie longer where the spool is fitted, this requires a longer spindle what the spool attaches to, its the same for the 440a the spindle you have to use is stamped OTO, you can fit a 300 head on a 330 body but you will require the OTO spindle and many more shims, you can not fit a 330 head on a 300 body as the front spindle is too short, this was proven with the 300 pro having a black 440a head fitted, possible but you have to machine a slice of the head gear boss to make it fit, this is covered in the book "The Mitchell Match and Auto bail bail book" by James Partridge, odd combo`s can be achieved with a lathe, hope this makes sense and helps, Allan

Lucky

Re: Unresolved issue with 330

Post by Lucky »

:) Exactly what I needed to hear.

Life is an adventure. Enjoy life!